Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 7,628 times

Advertisements

Hello-I am trying to find out some info about Turtle Creek, PA (near Pittsburgh). I want to know what types of businesses were in the past-prior to 1960's. I can find a lot of info about the old hotel down by Monroeville Avenue as well as Westinghouse and stuff but looking for info about smaller businesses-you see the home I live in is right off tri boro-I heard from the previous owner that this home used to be a tavern (they owned home since 1959 so sometime before that-I cannot find any evidence to support her claim and I am just curious as it may explain some paranormal happenings! If anyone knows of any businesses from that time I would love to hear-also if you just want to reminicsse thats fine too!

Also I was trying to find out who owned my home before the last owner-I went to record search but it does not go back far enough just shows last owner (which was not original owner) and myself. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 02:20 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,334,091 times
Did you check the Allegheny County real estate tax site?

Old 04-21-2008, 09:22 PM
LCT

24 posts, read 71,278 times
You can easily find out the entire history of your property by going to the Registry of Deeds [or whatever it's called in your area]. The records will go back as far as the borough is old.

I believe in the period 1930-60 Turtle Creek was a typical blue-collar community with a 'downtown' section similar to what you'd find in all small towns: a bakery, drug store with a soda fountain, barber shop, shoe maker/repair, a few full-service gas stations, hardware shop, furniture store [I know Faller's Furniture was there, they sold furniture, appliances, TV's, radios, etc and at Christmas they stocked toys including model railroads], either a small grocery store or both a butcher shop and green grocer, etc. Isaly's probably had at least one store there. Maybe a Grant's, Murphy's Five & Dime or Kresge(sp?). A small movie theater? Most folks walked to this area to do their errands/shopping, visit, hang out.

I'm struggling hard to recall what I saw there as a young child. If I close my eyes I can see parts of the main street. Most of the businesses where kind of bunched together in a relatively small area. Lots of activities at local churches. Nice, friendly area. Recall most houses had front porches and everyone would wave if you waved at them. I'm pretty sure the street car rumbled through.

I'm sure the local library has a section dedicated to local history. They no doubt have lots of pictures from the era you're interested in. Turn off the computer and visit the library; you'll find it interesting and educational to rediscover small-town USA.

I've never had occasion to check but some government entity must have taxed businesses. Surely those records exist somewhere. It would be easy enough to look through the records to find out who was doing business and what those businesses were.

If you find anything 'fun' come back and post it!

Old 04-22-2008, 06:33 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,861,408 times
Great suggestions from LCT. I'll just add that the property deed book should have commercial property owners as well, which may give you some idea of what stores were around (provided the entity owning the relevant property was a corporation with a descriptive name, and not an individual).

Old 04-24-2008, 06:34 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,596,238 times
My friend lives in TC and told me that there was a GC Murphy, Kroger's, Isaly's (now in the Penn Plaza), an A&P and a White Castle. The aforementioned furniture store ws there too. I have seen some old pictures before and they were really cool. None of those buildings are there anymore. I wish I can see more pix of those (as well as East Pittsburgh since I live there.)

Old 04-24-2008, 10:38 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,334,091 times
If the library has old newspapers you can look at the ads.

The Recorder of Deeds is downtown and at least was in the City-County Building. I suggested the County tax site because it's easier than going downtown and there is pictures for most properties. I don't know how long they keep a list of owners/former owners of places. The newer highways going through TC I think took out some businesses.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 7,483 times
Default Downtown Turtle Creek '60s

I grew up there and have many memories of running up and down those 'downtown' streets; street cars, busses, and shoe leather were all you needed to get anywhere you needed then. I watched the Pirates clinch the 1960 World Series on a TV in the window of Faller's furniture store!!

Let me know if you want any more info on the downtown TC area!!

Andy

Old 08-19-2008, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 7,375 times
Hi. I was wondering if you can give me some info about Turtle Creek. I am thinking about moving there. How is the area, the people, and jobs. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-18-2008, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 13,725 times
Default rambler dealership

My Father pasted away last may .He worked for a Rambler
dealership called Soles rambler .The owners name was Ray Soles

i was wondering if anyone still around the area has info or
maybe a key chain or license frame or sticker i can buy
we moved away from mckeesport in the 60's and he always
like working there
thanks
george

Old 12-02-2008, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 10,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
My friend lives in TC and told me that there was a GC Murphy, Kroger's, Isaly's (now in the Penn Plaza), an A&P and a White Castle. The aforementioned furniture store ws there too. I have seen some old pictures before and they were really cool. None of those buildings are there anymore. I wish I can see more pix of those (as well as East Pittsburgh since I live there.)

I grew up in TC, was 14 in 1948 when we moved. My dad worked in the
Westinghouse. Yes, GC Murphy 5&10, Isaly's (I think they're all gone in
western PA) Giant Eagle, Johnson the Florist, Ferry Grocery, Bell Telephone, Rutter's Lumber, Faller's Furniture. I went back to TC in 1990,
and yes it has changed. There was a White Tower on Penn Avenue, Pullens Drug Store (with soda counter and booths), and across the street
John's Drug Store. I found a great soft back book in New England at a
train museum TOURING PITTSBURGH BY TROLLY by Harold A. Smith 1992,
Quadrant Press, Inc, 19 W. 44th St. NY, NY 10036 (212)-819-0822. There are some photos of TC in it. I lived on Prospect Street and our next door neighbors, and others on that end of the street lived in East
Pittsburgh, Knew E.Pgh. pretty well at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh