Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2019, 12:22 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Pittsburgh is a fairly center-left city, but it is SOLIDLY center-left. Reading this forum would have you believe that Bill Perduto is a wildly unpopular politician, yet he wins his primaries with 70% of the vote and general election with 96% of the vote. This forum is not indicative of the city largely because it is populated by people who do not live in the city.
I agree. I think Peduto wins because he represents the city. There are some things I like that he does. I think this forum doesn’t have as good of a cross section as it used to. Glad you hang in there. We lost a lot of interesting posters from a more left standpoint. Maybe some will return.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:27 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
You're proving the people who say that you live in a bubble right. There are five or six neighborhoods to the east of downtown were most of the residents have staunchly left-wing political views, that's it. And those neighborhoods have a very narrow demographic.
Gladhands doesn’t live in a bubble or they wouldn’t be here.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:41 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
I lived in the city of Pittsburgh for decades. Then I grew older and moved to the suburbs. That's a very normal thing to do. You really think that "Pittsburgh" only means the actual city of Pittsburgh, and nothing around it? What is this, the 1940s? Actually that was never the case here, because during the steel mill days many of the mills were not in the city proper.

You're proving the people who say that you live in a bubble right. There are five or six neighborhoods to the east of downtown were most of the residents have staunchly left-wing political views, that's it. And those neighborhoods have a very narrow demographic.
Bingo

Old 11-09-2019, 12:59 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
What real competition has Peduto had? Doesn’t seem like many want the job.

I know plenty of people who live, work, vote, contribute, etc..., in/to the city everyday....and while they don’t post here, they’re certainly indicative of what many of us have to say.
It's another example of people showing that they haven't been here long. Tom Murphy was the mayor of Pittsburgh for twelve years. Did you ever meet a Tom Murphy fan? I never did. But once you win a Democratic mayoral primary in Pittsburgh the job's yours for however long you want it. Because most people don't care about it. But these SJWs in Lawrenceville and Shadyside care, and they show up to vote, so they get to pick the mayor.

Old 11-09-2019, 01:19 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
It's another example of people showing that they haven't been here long. Tom Murphy was the mayor of Pittsburgh for twelve years. Did you ever meet a Tom Murphy fan? I never did. But once you win a Democratic mayoral primary in Pittsburgh the job's yours for however long you want it. Because most people don't care about it. But these SJWs in Lawrenceville and Shadyside care, and they show up to vote, so they get to pick the mayor.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to fat lou again

Old 11-09-2019, 02:32 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:

First of all, the majority of Pittsburgh‘s population lives in the East End. Secondly, you are, unsurprisingly discounting the politics of all of the black people living on the North Side and in the Hill District. You have this antiquated, and frankly racist conception that only working class whites are the real Pittsburgh.

Old 11-09-2019, 02:40 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
you are, unsurprisingly discounting the politics of all of the black people living on the North Side and in the Hill District.
But what does Lavelle do?
I haven't heard him speak out about the pending gentrification of the Middle Hill. Given that he, and his family, are realtors - its almost as if the interests of his current constituents are diametrically opposed to his family's personal interest in regards to pending gentrification.

Old 11-09-2019, 02:41 PM
gg

Quote:
I lived in the city when Murphy was mayor. He was a very good mayor in much tougher times. Peduto was given a gift from Murphy’s hard work.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:05 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I agree. I think Peduto wins because he represents the city. There are some things I like that he does. I think this forum doesn’t have as good of a cross section as it used to. Glad you hang in there. We lost a lot of interesting posters from a more left standpoint. Maybe some will return.
he represents most of those that bother to vote. good for ANYONE exercising that right that some people can only dream of.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:01 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times
There is a lot of fallout from the mayors comments. I don’t see him winning this one. Peduto just represents Pittsburgh. It would be interesting to see the whole county voting on the gas drilling. See what the people decide they want the local economy to be. I also think this loud outcry against gas drilling or the gas industry is coming only from a few neighborhoods east of downtown where people are being loud about it.

More people protested against amazon in the city than the gas industry coming.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/en...s/201911090049
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh