Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2019, 07:58 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Peduto is trying to use his far left idealogy to further is political ambition. He does not care about the average person only the fringe supporters of his fringe ideas.
I think it goes back to tyovan statements. He speaks for the city of Pittsburgh only and not Allegheny County nor the entire metro as a whole. What’s interesting is some folks don’t want to talk about or acknowledge the high wages and job growth for the construction of the cracker plant. There is not another entity that I am aware of that created the amount of jobs overnight that the construction of the cracker plant has.

We only hear how bad it is going to be. On one side of the coin they say the jobs are 35 miles out from the city and to far away to impact Pittsburgh. On the other side of the coin they believe this same plant, 35 miles away is going to be the main polluter of Allegheny county and the city of Pittsburgh. Somehow all that pollution is going to bypass Cranberry, the northern suburbs and beaver valley and choose to settle in Pittsburgh. Meanwhile, the zinc smelter closed on this site and the Bruce Mansfield plant is almost deactivated. Shenango also ceased operations on Neville island. Irconically the air quality is still bad. What that tells me is those old plants weren’t causing all of the pollution in Pittsburgh. This cracker plant is going to be state if the art with up to date pollution control. It meets the pa dept and epa for pollution requirements. And they are going to monitor the site. If the plant produces pollution under maximum permissible levels there should be no complaints.

I also think the mon Valley is going to get their wish in the 2020s. US steel will close that plant, while it is a polluter it is not the only one there. There will be less jobs, more vacant houses more poverty and the air will still probably be bad.

And getting back to Peduto his statements will get him releected mayor but he has no political future in higher PA office beyond that.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:01 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Peduto is trying to use his far left idealogy to further is political ambition. He does not care about the average person only the fringe supporters of his fringe ideas.
I agree. I like somethings he does however. Usually moderates do like somethings and not somethings leaders do. It is called intelligence. Can’t stand hard line mindlessness.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You criticize society yet you live in society. Curious! I’m very intelligent.
I think Johnny C's post was sarcasm.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:20 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,992,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I agree. I like somethings he does however. Usually moderates do like somethings and not somethings leaders do. It is called intelligence. Can’t stand hard line mindlessness.

I define intelligence by as sticking to principles which are based on a solid foundation. Just up everything the mayor does is bad for the majority of the people.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I had more or less forgotten about it except for city-data turning into the All Cracker All The Time show, but yeah, if you want to be in compliance with the Paris Accord et al, and want to limit risk of pollution related disease, you have to stop making excuses for your emissions.

There was an article on Related Carnegie Mellon research at https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ple-are-dying/ which may have been posted already, I don’t remember.
The US is pulling out from the Paris accord so that is really irrelevant.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/11/04/pol...www.cnn.com%2F

Old 11-04-2019, 07:54 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
I define intelligence by as sticking to principles which are based on a solid foundation. Just up everything the mayor does is bad for the majority of the people.
Yeah, I should probably stop coming here. This is indicative of what this forum has become. Very little value left.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:20 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Yeah, I should probably stop coming here. This is indicative of what this forum has become. Very little value left.
Don't you think that is the Internet in a nutshell? Look at Reddit. Wow, that is nuts. Just crazy people. Overall, this place still has some good posts. Obviously, eschaton is the last great poster here, but he hangs in there. I am on other forums. Obviously some bike forums and the local one is really bad. Just people complaining about everything non-stop, but there are one or two people that are good folks.

The Internet is just like a school district. It doesn't take many to take it down. People want to bring others down. The school mergers for example. Wow, they all had horrible outcomes and once good schools are now gone forever. Such a shame, but society can't allow good things to go on for the more educated. The Internet is full of lower class people that want to bring everyone down to their level. Nothing stopping it. At first smartphones/computers were for more affluent happy people. Once everyone could have them it went to the crapper. There are still some good places I read, but they are very small educated groups and mostly wealthier types that still care and know life is amazingly great.

Have a great day. Best of times really, but the media and the lowly people sure wants to bring us to our knees. Something to think about. Why? Hmmmm.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:52 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
then you come here to get satisfaction from reading what aligns with your own beliefs? you don't like them challenged?

There is a LOT of back and forth here. Me, once called a klansman and a Trump guy on this board (neither are true and you'd laugh if you saw me, probably) defended not Peduto exactly but his looking at the bigger picture - that the cracker plant is not evil per se, but just another pimple on the bad complexion of the global climate.

I am saying there is a lot of good information in this thread. Why not engage? You can certainly disagree, and not be raked over the coals, you know!

Old 11-04-2019, 08:55 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I had more or less forgotten about it except for city-data turning into the All Cracker All The Time show, but yeah, if you want to be in compliance with the Paris Accord et al, and want to limit risk of pollution related disease, you have to stop making excuses for your emissions.

There was an article on Related Carnegie Mellon research at https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ple-are-dying/ which may have been posted already, I don’t remember.

sealie, arent china and india held to different standards, and that is the problem some here have with the Accord? i think we'd have a lot to lose in economic vitality than, say, the netherlands or numerous other countries. Italy, for one, has already lost a significant amount of its polluting industries to the former Bloc.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
then you come here to get satisfaction from reading what aligns with your own beliefs? you don't like them challenged?

There is a LOT of back and forth here. Me, once called a klansman and a Trump guy on this board (neither are true and you'd laugh if you saw me, probably) defended not Peduto exactly but his looking at the bigger picture - that the cracker plant is not evil per se, but just another pimple on the bad complexion of the global climate.

I am saying there is a lot of good information in this thread. Why not engage? You can certainly disagree, and not be raked over the coals, you know!
The group of folks claiming to be the most tolerant of folks is actually intolerant of differing views. It’s kinda sad in a way. There is some good back and forth on this thread. I think we have become so polarized as a nation that the younger group of folks have been conditioned to only believe one point of view. They have never seen a middle of the road point of view.

I believe this cracker plant is a great thing for the region. I think there will be some pollution but not enough to make a difference in the trajectory of Pittsburgh. Again this is a plant built in 2020 not the 1950s we have come along way. Pittsburgh has cut pollution by tons over the last few decades. Nobody wants to talk about vehicles and traffic. We have a group of folks believing in very dense urban cores and all the jobs being concentrated in downtown, but not realizing the the effect it has on pollution. When you have tons of people crammed into a certain place, you have more vehicles and people using energy concentrated in one area. The answer to solve Pittsburgh’s pollution would be the city to become less dense and jobs moving to office parks outside of the city, but that would be bad because of tax revenue leaving.

I think Pittsburgh’s pollution problem needs attention, but you can’t blame one single plant that is 35 miles away from the city and not even in operation. Nobody wants to talk about vehicles and diesel emissions which probably account for most of Pittsburgh’s pollution. That is the 800 lb gorilla nobody wants to talk about. It’s like it doesn’t even exist but that damn cracker plant is be all end all for city pollution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh