Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 09:13 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times

Advertisements

Bingo

This area just isn’t conducive to what I like to do for 5-6 months/year. I can boat, bicycle/motorcycle ride, swim, etc..., all year in Florida...and I’m the opposite as I’d much rather have hot and humid than cold and gloomy, especially for the amount of time it lasts, here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 09:18 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I am not talking Wexford, that is a different type of area and yes newer homes and tend to have higher prices, you can always pick more costly areas but we are talking about the cheapest yet still meeting a certain standard. I talked about Ben Avon area which is 8 miles from the city vs the homes you are showing in Chicago are over 20 miles from the city. I do not know Chicago well, could you find a community similar to Ben Avon area under 10 miles from the actual city? This just sold last month around the corner for $270k. I'd much rather have this home in this area than any of those plus being 8 miles from downtown.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3-17116#photo7
Niles literally borders the city of Chicago.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Niles/7155...m_content=link

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Niles/6950...m_content=link

This house is about 15 miles from the loop. The thing about Chicago is that it is a much larger city, geographically speaking, than Pittsburgh. 8 miles from downtown would still be in the city.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:19 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo

This area just isn’t conducive to what I like to do for 5-6 months/year. I can boat, bicycle/motorcycle ride all year in Florida...and I’m the opposite as I’d much rather have hot and humid than cold and gloomy, especially for the amount of time it lasts, here.
Honestly if I had the $ I would do the same as you but I wouldnt be in Florida the whole winter. I'd head to Florida after Thanksgiving until right before Christmas then head back to Florida maybe 1-2 weeks a month until June. I also like doing outdoor stuff I cant here in the winter.

I don't have the $ so I have to pick one or the other and to me I enjoy the north much more than the south.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post

This house is about 15 miles from the loop. The thing about Chicago is that it is a much larger city, geographically speaking, than Pittsburgh. 8 miles from downtown would still be in the city.

Ok I will give you that, like I said I don't know Chicago well so I'll assume 15 = 8. But take those 2 homes and compare. School ratings say Avonworth is slightly better but likely they are comparable. You are paying over 10% more for Chicago that appears a little smaller, not as updated, not as much character (though that is opinion), and doesnt seem to be as nice an area.

vs

Old 11-06-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:

To me those are more along the quality of this home, blocks away from Ben Avon and basically the same community. That sold for $212k a few months ago so almost 20% cheaper than Chicago.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M39490-76618

Old 11-06-2019, 09:35 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Ok I will give you that, like I said I don't know Chicago well so I'll assume 15 = 8. But take those 2 homes and compare. School ratings say Avonworth is slightly better but likely they are comparable. You are paying over 10% more for Chicago that appears a little smaller, not as updated, not as much character (though that is opinion), and doesnt seem to be as nice an area.

vs

But Pittsburgh isn’t really comparable to Chicago. If I’m going to live outside of the city, I’d rather have the better city.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
But Pittsburgh isn’t really comparable to Chicago. If I’m going to live outside of the city, I’d rather have the better city.

Again opinion so nothing wrong with that. I'd rather have the better neighborhood with most of the city amenities I want at a 20% discount. I love what Pittsburgh has to offer and it is cheaper, just depends on what is important to you. I don't like urban living so the fact I can be 8 miles from downtown and never know it is important. 8 miles to what a typical city has to offer to enjoy, maybe not as much as Chicago which is why it is cheaper here. I can also drive 30 min north and be in the country.

Is Pittsburgh my #1 choice? Nope but the savings living here lets me enjoy my life more while still getting most of what I want.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:47 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
“Better city” is a matter of opinion. Even though I like living in the suburbs, I have zero desire to move to Chicago, even if I was only going to spend half the year there...and imo those houses are way too close to other houses. I’d never want neighbors that close.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:29 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
I can see how possibly going from TX to Pittsburgh/PA could be a bit of a culture shock. Do you think this played into it on some level?
Minor. Houston is a big cosmopolitan city, and the burbs are equally if not more diverse. I've had friends, neighbors, co-workers from around the world including NYC, and have met a surprising # of people from PA. The directness doesn't faze me as native Texans can be cantankerous & blunt, for southerners anyway. I can handle that. Pittsburgh metro is northeastern- as in northern Appalachian. A unique place for sure, non-diverse in several ways, and a taste I couldn't acquire after a couple years. Coming from a white American guy whose face blends in here. No offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
The day to day cost of living is higher than we thought it would be for things like food and fuel, but insurance and utilities are reasonable. Housing is mostly affordable, but real estate taxes are a little rediculous in Allegheny County.
Taxes scared me off buying a house here, and I don't care for Butler county. Otherwise I don't understand the doubt things are more expensive here than down south. Perhaps cheap compared to the E & W coast cities? Though fuel & food is still comparable to Queens NYC. Utility rates here are more than back home esp water/sewer. I got dollared on things I took for granted. Insurance is less but doesn't offset the increases in everything else. Especially since I have a family these things multiply. I do this analysis crap for a living BTW. This place is not going to economically solve most people's issues.

Quote:
I also was down in Beaumont TX for several months, not somewhere I would ever want to live but people were great in TX.
You got that right. Blight is like Pittsburgh but there is nothing to do there but eat, drink and screw around. "Old" part of TX. Some awesome people there though, and great TX/LA hybrid food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlwhip View Post
I lived in Dallas for a couple of years before moving to Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is the opposite of Dallas. People here are hard to impress with bling and fancy cars. It's a much more down to earth mentality here.
Pittsburgh has nice neighborhoods with materialism on display, and its north suburbs are certainly all about the cars, clothes, jewels, etc. Moreso than Houston's suburbs where avg incomes are higher. But I know all about the Dallas 40k millionaire. There's a reason most Texans outside of Dallas don't care for its people.

Quote:
The South has a certain kind of protestant religious outlook that feels oppressive to me. I would call it a southern Baptist, judgmental and narrow frame of mind. Pittsburgh was settled by Catholics, Roman and Eastern Orthodox, so it is a much more tolerant socio-religious mentality.
Generally speaking Pittsburgh doesn't really have an ''open'' frame of mind, and the ''South'' is not monolithic... the part from San Antonio to Houston to New Orleans/Gulf Coast is plurality Catholic and not stuffy the way it is in North TX/LA.

Quote:
Once you move up to the Wexford price range, you’re looking at McMansions. Same holds true for cities like Dallas, Houston and Atlanta. Pittsburgh is a great city, but is far less competitive when comparing suburbs.
Agree- not worth the price tag. If you're comparing similar Houston or DFW burbs, Wexford is significantly more expensive, you don't get a house w/ 4 sides of Mexican brick (understandably), but you do get a giant lot. TX burbs are much more dense. We took for granted sidewalks, ability to bike all year 2-3 miles in all directions, to dreaded strip mall / grocery store, Petsmart, a few restaurants, other stuff that makes it easier to live. The Wexford neighborhoods are small, geographically constrained, and 99% car dependent. It is scenically very pretty though.

Quote:
I wasn’t besmirching Wexford McMansions. I’m saying that for the price of a Wexford McMansion, you can get a similar house in a suburb of a city that offers more than Pittsburgh, making Wexford a less interesting proposition.
And again- for less. Even look at asking prices for something older in McCandless or Ross-- closer to the amenities, still too expensive.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Pittsburgh has nice neighborhoods with materialism on display, and its north suburbs are certainly all about the cars, clothes, jewels, etc. Moreso than Houston's suburbs where avg incomes are higher. But I know all about the Dallas 40k millionaire. There's a reason most Texans outside of Dallas don't care for its people.
I guess this is another topic that just depends on where you are comparing to. I find Pittsburgh less materialistic than most areas and especially CA or NJ/NY where we spend more time with extended family. Those areas it seems everyone has to have the best and newest. I also noticed it more in FL than here. I am sure everywhere you will find showy people but on average I just dont see it here. People don't get a new car every 2 years and constantly upgrade to new homes. Most anyone I know have lived in their same home for a very long time even though their finances have changed. I know several lawyers who live in the same homes they bought when first starting with lots of student loan debt and now 20 years later are partners. Same on cars, usually every 5-7 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh