Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 08:24 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,872,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You can’t always “pigeonhole” people (and, yes, I know I have been guilty of this too).

I live east of Downtown.

I also...

-Voted against the park tax. Why, pray tell? My city councilor, Deb Gross, made a brilliant post on Facebook urging us to vote no because we vote to elect city councilors for THEM to decide to raise taxes on us (or not) so that we could hold THEM accountable (or not) on Election Day. The end result of this tax passing? There are numerous heated arguments now on NextDoor where homeowners who were opponents of the tax are slamming renters uniformly for voting affirmatively for a tax we won’t pay (as if our rent won’t increase to cover the tax). One even suggested that renters shouldn’t be allowed to vote—at all. Moderators have been deleting replies left and right in these argument threads. Those arguments are taking the “Ok, Boomer” movement to a whole new level.

-Dislike Mayor Peduto’s affinity for media grandstanding, virtue-signaling, and self-aggrandizement. He had ZERO business involving our city in the Antwon Rose case. To date East Pittsburgh has yet to pay Pittsburgh the seven figures we had to spent on police overtime for the protests we incurred for THEIR problem that they were more than happy to kick over to us once Mayor Peduto went hog wild on Twitter and took ownership of the issue. Mayor Peduto also has no business telling companies to not site themselves in Beaver County (and by that same token the fine people of Beaver County have no business telling we Pittsburghers to remove our bike lanes).

-Voted AGAINST Marsy’s Law—despite being loved by my fellow progressive East Enders—because it is abhorrent that one of its statutes would permit a victim to withhold potentially exculpatory evidence from the defendant/defense counsel. If I’ve been wrongfully accused of a crime, and if the one piece of evidence that can exonerate me is being held by the victim, then under Marsy’s Law I could end up wrongfully convicted, as the victim could then be allowed to choose to withhold that evidence. How Marsy’s Law passed in PA in a landslide is beyond my realm of comprehension.

-SUPPORT our law enforcement. If 10,000 out of 900,000 law enforcement officers in our country are pieces of crap, then why should the other 890,000 suffer?

-RESPECT President Trump. No, I did not vote for him. No, I will not vote for him in 2020. No, I do not agree with 90% of the things that come out of his mouth. With that being said he was elected to be the president of our country, and I respect the office he holds. He’s been incredibly effective at delivering MOST things he promised his supporters. Most likely he’ll be re-elected in 2020 and die three years into his second term (obesity + mid-70’s + chronic anger and stress = heart attack). Then we’ll briefly have a President Pence followed by a Democratic successor. In any event he’s a man—not the Anti-Christ.

-Believe major non-profits (UPMC, Pitt, CMU, and Highmark) should each be paying ~$1,000,000 - ~$5,000,000 per year (based upon size) to the city in lieu of taxes. Those funds should go to public safety enhancements. The city overall is safe. I mean our current 31 homicides in mid-November is the lowest it’s been in many years. With that being said Downtown especially now has a growing image of being “unsafe” due to the throngs of mentally ill persons, addicts, homeless, and juvenile delinquent street urchins all intersecting. Those four major non-profits each kicking in just $1,000,000/year would mean many new police officers could be hired.

Wow!!!!!! What a great post. You sure are aging well. Very different than when you were younger. Love this post! Well done sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 10:31 AM

3,708 posts, read 2,663,977 times
I also thought it unfair for families renting a duplex or apartment in excellent school districts like Mt. Lebanon, taking advantage of the schools and paying zero school tax. While a retired couple with no kids in the district is paying a nice amount of school taxes....

Old 11-11-2019, 12:13 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,904,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
right - but that is MY point. do we NEED these parks? are they often used to warrant their upkeep? could the parks dept. use some streamlining that would free up funds?

with our continually declining population, it would be reasonable that some amenities are cut back.
Yes we need these parks. Perhaps we should just fence of half of Schenley or Frick and let it return to wild, that would free up some resources to help the small parks in communities that don’t have much else. Not everyone can jump in a car and drive to Frick Park to enjoy some outdoor time. Local parks give kids a place to play other than sidewalks and empty lots. Why would we actively make struggling neighborhoods even less attractive?

So many people complain the East End gets all the attention, and then people set out to give attention to other parts of the city, and the people complain about that.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:32 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,929,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Yes we need these parks. Perhaps we should just fence of half of Schenley or Frick and let it return to wild, that would free up some resources to help the small parks in communities that don’t have much else. Not everyone can jump in a car and drive to Frick Park to enjoy some outdoor time. Local parks give kids a place to play other than sidewalks and empty lots. Why would we actively make struggling neighborhoods even less attractive?

So many people complain the East End gets all the attention, and then people set out to give attention to other parts of the city, and the people complain about that.
I can’t believe you typed that. When someone asks a questing like “do we really need those parks” I assume they’re either not arguing in good faith or have such dramatically different expectations from society, it’s no longer worth engaging.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:01 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,904,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I can’t believe you typed that. When someone asks a questing like “do we really need those parks” I assume they’re either not arguing in good faith or have such dramatically different expectations from society, it’s no longer worth engaging.
Well I do it more for others who are reading who may have though it might be a good idea. I don’t try to convince people to change their minds however I do believe in putting reasonable ideas and truths out there because if you don’t it ends up creating an atmosphere of misinformation or outlandish ideas.

Trust me though, I have written and deleted way more responses in the past 6 months on this board than I can count. Somethings aren’t worth it but sometimes I cannot help myself.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:47 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,029,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post

i do not believe each is used THAT MUCH that quality of life will suffer if they are decommissioned/removed. and im not even suggesting THAT as much as the amount being spent - maybe there are savings/cuts that can be done.

the complaint here is a hike in taxes, not that any one place is getting attention or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh