Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 09:52 PM

146 posts, read 133,734 times

Advertisements

I've seen several instances where bikers avoided the bike lanes and used the vehicle lanes instead. I've witnessed this many times and in different locations in the city. Is this something that is punishable by city ordinance, or are the lanes just a suggesting and not a requirement? Has anyone ever witnessed a biker get pulled over and fined for this, or does the city just ignore it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 12:53 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,644 times
Are you serious? The bikes have as much right to the highway as the cars. The bike lanes are designed to make it "safer" for the bikes, but are not a requirement. Sidewalks are the only thing off limits to bikes.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:59 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
AFAIK it's never illegal for a bike to ride in the street, though in some areas it can be suicidal.

However, it's illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk in a commercial district anywhere in the state of Pennsylvania.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:24 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
As a cyclist, I would certainly prefer to ride in a bike lane or trail. I go out of my way to do so. That being said, there might be some that are idiots, or if there is debris in the bike lane. I know some bike lanes have a lot of leaves and debris in them right now and of course when the snow falls, bike lanes become a place to plow the snow into. We don't exactly get treated as great as many people think.

Just like drivers of cars, there are going to be good cyclists and bad ones. That can be said for about everything. Styles of cycling differ. Heck I have seen people ride a bike on the wrong side of the road into traffic. I just figure they have no idea what they are doing and probably can't really read or anything. My personal style isn't loved by some motorists as I will get through a stop sign or red light just to get out of the way of cars. My goal is to deal with drivers as little as possible. They are texting and driving huge death machines when you are riding a bike or walking. Avoiding them is one of the keys to safe riding and if I have to go through a red-light just to get onto a different road or a bike path, I am doing it and I don't interfere with any drivers when I do it.

Last edited by gg; 11-08-2019 at 08:39 AM..

Old 11-08-2019, 10:27 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
AFAIK it's never illegal for a bike to ride in the street, though in some areas it can be suicidal.

However, it's illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk in a commercial district anywhere in the state of Pennsylvania.
Would Grant Street qualify as a "commercial district"? I'm nearly plowed over by cyclists daily who are using the sidewalk on Grant Street. I can't wait until they narrow Liberty Avenue through the Strip. Hopefully bike lanes will be included, and then, hopefully, they'll also narrow Grant Street and add bike lanes there, too.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Would Grant Street qualify as a "commercial district"? I'm nearly plowed over by cyclists daily who are using the sidewalk on Grant Street. I can't wait until they narrow Liberty Avenue through the Strip. Hopefully bike lanes will be included, and then, hopefully, they'll also narrow Grant Street and add bike lanes there, too.
Grant Street would absolutely qualify.

I've ridden on Grant Street before - with my son in tow in a trailer. Coming into town from the Strip District and having to drop him off at the U.S. Steel Building, the quickest way was to go down a block of Grant and wait to cross the street. It was always a nerve-wracking/terrifying block to ride though. I started riding down Penn to 7th, then turning up Sixth Avenue, because even though it was a much longer detour, it felt like a much safer route.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:19 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Grant Street would absolutely qualify.

I've ridden on Grant Street before - with my son in tow in a trailer. Coming into town from the Strip District and having to drop him off at the U.S. Steel Building, the quickest way was to go down a block of Grant and wait to cross the street. It was always a nerve-wracking/terrifying block to ride though. I started riding down Penn to 7th, then turning up Sixth Avenue, because even though it was a much longer detour, it felt like a much safer route.
I agree. Grant Street intersection near the steel building is a death trap. Mainly because cars run red lights constantly. Now here's who I wish was still around keeping drivers in line! Man, I'm shocked he was never hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ULzdD_0GXA

Old 11-08-2019, 01:11 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Seriously? I can't imagine riding a bike on the sidewalk downtown on any street. I do it sometimes on Penn Ave in East Liberty, which I know isn't legal, but I ride VERY slow. Penn Ave is a death road. I don't go more than like 1/2 block to shop somewhere. I would never go flying down some sidewalk.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Seriously? I can't imagine riding a bike on the sidewalk downtown on any street. I do it sometimes on Penn Ave in East Liberty, which I know isn't legal, but I ride VERY slow. Penn Ave is a death road. I don't go more than like 1/2 block to shop somewhere. I would never go flying down some sidewalk.
On the very rare occasions I end up on the sidewalk - like say if I continued riding in the street I'd have to make a left turn into traffic, then cross the street a second time with my bike a few blocks later to get to where I was going - I just get off the bike and walk it.

Old 11-08-2019, 03:46 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
routinely, i use sidewalks when there is NO ONE in reasonable proximity, when i sense a motorist's patience (to race to the next red light) has worn thin, and/or if I am lagging and holding up two or more cars.

i am OFF a sidewalk as soon as possible. (and always apologizing to any pedestrian that is impeded, moves for me, or seems wary as i approach. )

when i would use a bike more often, i'd use some tricky areas where you have to hope you don't encounter the worst driver of the day, but I could NEVER imagine ever biking Liberty Avenue to Grant Street!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh