Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 09:08 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times

Advertisements

After nearly a decade in Chicago, it's with mixed emotions that our family has decided to move back to Pittsburgh. Our time in Chicago has been nothing short of incredible, and Chicago will always be our second home. Good thing its only a short flight/drive (maybe one day magnetic bullet train ) away! That being said, family matters most, and with our family expanding and both of our extended families in the Pittsburgh area, it's time to move back home! We love Pittsburgh as well, and it's exciting that moving back to Pittsburgh is kind of like exploring a new city all over again with how much it has changed, even in the 8 years we have been away. We're incredibly excited to start new (again) in the Pittsburgh area, enjoy its bountiful outdoor recreational opportunities again (one of the things we sorely missed in Chicago), and be closer to family.

So, we're looking for some suggestions/insight into the current market as we decide where to plant roots. We both work in healthcare, so we would like to be well within a 30 minute commute to the East End, which is likely the general area we will be commuting to for work (and for recreation/dining/going out). Our ideal scenario is as follows:

- Budget $250-300k
- Decent schools
- Area with good sized lots for a nice garden and area for the kid/dog (something like a half acre would be lovely, but could settle for a little less)
- Area that is generally walkable- don't need to walk to everything, but we'd like to walk the dog around the neighborhood without worrying about traffic and non-pedestrian friendly roads
- Reasonable access to good shopping/grocery stores/restaurants
- Less than 30 minutes to East End/Oakland

Our first thoughts have been Ross, Oakmont, and parts of O'Hara (though its a bit pricey)

Any suggestions would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 09:30 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
Less than 30 minute commute, you mention working in Healthcare but would you likely be commuting during normal rush hour times? Keeping it under 30 min during rush hour might limit out anywhere west of the city like Bellevue, Ben Avon, Emsworth, West View, or even Ross. Under 30 min would normally be fine but rush hour that could easily be 45 min some days. What do you want in a home besides a nice lot? 3 bed, 1.5 bath, newly updated or just updated in the last 10 years, are you open to something that needs updates or work?

Old 11-09-2019, 10:05 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,022 times
I would consider Ben Avon, West view, Ross, Aspinwall, O'Hara, possibly squirrel hill or point breeze within the city limits( budget probably not going to work for you though)

in most of the mentioned locations you should find something that checks all the boxes. Im heavily biased towards Ben Avon in for your specific criteria. I think it has about everything you seem to be looking for.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
I would consider Ben Avon, West view, Ross, Aspinwall, O'Hara, possibly squirrel hill or point breeze within the city limits( budget probably not going to work for you though)

in most of the mentioned locations you should find something that checks all the boxes. Im heavily biased towards Ben Avon in for your specific criteria. I think it has about everything you seem to be looking for.

I love Emsworth/Kilbuck/Ben Avon area as well, that's why we live here, and agree it checks many of what was mentioned so far but commute to East End during rush hour might likely push keeping the commute under 30 min. I'd also throw in Shaler which might have a better commute.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:18 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
In that price range and with that land requirement, Shaler could work in addition to what jea6321 recommends. Dormont and some parts of Mt. Lebo could also work, although they'd be pushing the 30 minute commute and lot size at that price range is also probably unlikely. Dormont is going to have smaller lot sizes and Mt. Lebo will either be too expensive or the parts with the lot sizes will be more than 30 minute commutes for most parts of the day. Aspinwall proper (south of Rt 28) won't have any half acre lots. You might get something north of 28, but it will be pushing your budget.

I'm thinking > a quarter acre in the portions of the city with walkability, sizable lots, and decent neighborhood schools isn't very likely at that price range. A half acre or more with walkability is going to run you double your budget on the low end, maybe upwards of 800k. If you do want to be in the city, Greenfield would be very accessible to Oakland and also have availability in the price range. Lot size might be more like "1 car garage and a 20-30 x 40 yard.

I think you open up options considerably at a quarter acre and/or at a 45 minute commute. A half acre, under 300k, and 30 minute commute is a trifecta that will be challenging.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:32 AM

Thanks to all for the suggestions. A quarter acre is reasonable as long as the plot of land is nicely laid out. Our commute times would likely be a little earlier than most 9-5ers, with a 7am start time (so leaving around 6:15). Other must haves are 3 beds and at least 1.5 baths, >1800 sq ft or so, and either updated or enough under budget to update ourselves over a few years. I’ve never considered Ben Avon strangely enough. We will need to look into that area.

Edit: I’m impressed with a lot of what I’m seeing in the Ben Avon area for great prices, and did not know Avonworth was a 9/10 school district. The area seems to have some charm compared to areas like Shaler too, but with tighter land plots. How is traversing 65 to 28 or 376 to get to the East End at 6ish am and after 730pm?

Last edited by ForYourLungsOnly; 11-09-2019 at 10:46 AM..

Old 11-09-2019, 10:45 AM

I've driven across the city from Ben Avon before 7am and not too bad. If you lived west of the city you would need to be ok with days that commute will be over 30 min. From here I think my best time to Shadyside has been about 25 min. I would look into Ben Avon area which really Emsworth/BenAvon/Kilbuck/Avalon all merge into one area. Ben Avon is a little more costly but these areas kinda blend together somewhat. I also like Bellevue which has more of a business district if that is important but schools do not rank as high as Avonworth. Any of these areas you would likely get at least 1/2 acre.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Edit: I’m impressed with a lot of what I’m seeing in the Ben Avon area for great prices, and did not know Avonworth was a 9/10 school district. The area seems to have some charm compared to areas like Shaler too, but with tighter land plots. How is traversing 65 to 28 or 376 to get to the East End at 6ish am and after 730pm?

Your edit was after my response. We recently had clients that wanted to be in Regent Square area and spent a good amount of time driving back and forth. I'd say usually it was about 25 minutes, add another 10-20 minutes if it was like 4-6pm. I've not driven that exact route at 6am but have driven all the way out 376 to the turnpike at 7:00am which was busy but not crazy. I'd guess at 6am you will see about the same as 7:30pm.
Just keep in mind there is a bridge and many spots for a slow down if there is any kind of accident. The good thing is there are several routes via either 65 or 279. We usually take 65 to 28 to 40th bridge but more out of habit. 65 to 376 is decent route too. You could also go through the city but unless I had want to stop in the Strip I dont usually take that route. There is nothing wrong with 279 down to 376 or 28 either but it is easier for us to take 65.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Less than 30 minute commute, you mention working in Healthcare but would you likely be commuting during normal rush hour times? Keeping it under 30 min during rush hour might limit out anywhere west of the city like Bellevue, Ben Avon, Emsworth, West View, or even Ross. Under 30 min would normally be fine but rush hour that could easily be 45 min some days. What do you want in a home besides a nice lot? 3 bed, 1.5 bath, newly updated or just updated in the last 10 years, are you open to something that needs updates or work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
In that price range and with that land requirement, Shaler could work in addition to what jea6321 recommends. Dormont and some parts of Mt. Lebo could also work, although they'd be pushing the 30 minute commute and lot size at that price range is also probably unlikely. Dormont is going to have smaller lot sizes and Mt. Lebo will either be too expensive or the parts with the lot sizes will be more than 30 minute commutes for most parts of the day. Aspinwall proper (south of Rt 28) won't have any half acre lots. You might get something north of 28, but it will be pushing your budget.

I'm thinking > a quarter acre in the portions of the city with walkability, sizable lots, and decent neighborhood schools isn't very likely at that price range. A half acre or more with walkability is going to run you double your budget on the low end, maybe upwards of 800k. If you do want to be in the city, Greenfield would be very accessible to Oakland and also have availability in the price range. Lot size might be more like "1 car garage and a 20-30 x 40 yard.

I think you open up options considerably at a quarter acre and/or at a 45 minute commute. A half acre, under 300k, and 30 minute commute is a trifecta that will be challenging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Your edit was after my response. We recently had clients that wanted to be in Regent Square area and spent a good amount of time driving back and forth. I'd say usually it was about 25 minutes, add another 10-20 minutes if it was like 4-6pm. I've not driven that exact route at 6am but have driven all the way out 376 to the turnpike at 7:00am which was busy but not crazy. I'd guess at 6am you will see about the same as 7:30pm.
Just keep in mind there is a bridge and many spots for a slow down if there is any kind of accident. The good thing is there are several routes via either 65 or 279. We usually take 65 to 28 to 40th bridge but more out of habit. 65 to 376 is decent route too. You could also go through the city but unless I had want to stop in the Strip I dont usually take that route. There is nothing wrong with 279 down to 376 or 28 either but it is easier for us to take 65.
Thanks! Very helpful. Honestly I'm not looking for the commute to be guaranteed 30 min or less. I know some days could be 25, some 35, some 45, but as long as its not consistently >35-40 min I'm happy. Our families live in the AK Valley so the 65-->28 route wouldnt be bad to visit them either

Our timeline is to move back in May or June of 2020.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Thanks! Very helpful. Honestly I'm not looking for the commute to be guaranteed 30 min or less. I know some days could be 25, some 35, some 45, but as long as its not consistently >35-40 min I'm happy. Our families live in the AK Valley so the 65-->28 route wouldnt be bad to visit them either

Our timeline is to move back in May or June of 2020.

That is a good time for looking too, usually there is a better inventory come April though the last 2 years even spring has not seen as many homes come to market as past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh