U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 08:17 AM

2,118 posts, read 1,218,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Pittsburgh ranks low on the list of Safest Cities in America, compiled by WalletHub.
Pittsburgh ranked number 142 out of 182, receiving its lowest marks for home and community safety.

https://www.wtae.com/article/pittsbu...erica/30100926

and

https://wallethub.com/edu/safest-cit...america/41926/
Won't be a popular post - but I'm already disliked, so whatever.
Too many folks on this board want to focus on non-existent problems like a cracker plant in another County while instead ignoring public safety problems that exist RIGHT HERE.

Keep cheering on a Mayor who makes excuses for enabling crime, while saying that you're worried about the impacts of industry on air quality that's going to keep away transplants from moving to this declining city - see how many folks are going to want to migrate here if more lists and articles like this come out.

Pittsburgh needs to address its day-to-day local issues (safety, infrastructure, etc) instead of trying to punch above its weight and put its nose into national and global issues.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 08:51 AM

1,997 posts, read 1,082,428 times
There may be certain hotpots but I honestly feel pretty safe in ANY neighborhood within the city limits. Some more than others, but still.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:11 AM
gg

21,660 posts, read 20,599,987 times
I think Pittsburgh gets low marks mostly because we only have 300,000 people and our bad areas have a ton of violent crime that brings us down. Sure are one heck of a lot of murders in the drug trade and many of them are so young. I am amazed how low the score is in safety though. I consider most all of Pittsburgh very safe. Stay out of drugs and keep out of a few bad areas and for the most part you should be okay here. Sometimes someone does get killed in a crossfire which is really awful.

2018 has the mass shooting involved. I hate to bring that tragedy up as it is truly a stain that will be forever remembered here and an awful hate crime to boot.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:44 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,426,082 times
It’s a good thing you don’t live here.

FYI: this “study” uses a methodology that ranks Denver as more dangerous than Baltimore. We get it, you hate Pittsburgh, it’s liberal mayor, and the liberals who elect him, but you’re embarrassing yourself.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:56 AM
gg

21,660 posts, read 20,599,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post

FYI: this “study” uses a methodology that ranks Denver as more dangerous than Baltimore. We get it, you hate Pittsburgh, it’s liberal mayor, and the liberals who elect him, but you’re embarrassing yourself.
Didn’t notice Denver as so bad. Just another click bait article I guess. Is there ever any real studies or news out there? Geez.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:05 AM

6,304 posts, read 7,950,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post

I didn't take it too seriously since Wallethub is nonsense to begin with, but thanks for pointing that out because now this list is even more laughable.

They also ranked New Orleans as having the 31st lowest natural disaster risk.... LOL

Last edited by bradjl2009; 12-03-2019 at 10:15 AM..

Old 12-03-2019, 10:44 AM

14,575 posts, read 7,373,673 times
Here’s another list that shows Pittsburgh low in rankings.
https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/mur...u-s-cities/45/

Old 12-03-2019, 12:03 PM

68 posts, read 18,125 times
They shot Joey Porter in Denver.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:07 PM

31,438 posts, read 70,429,646 times
I've lived in this city since 2010. I've always felt safe. My neighborhood has package thefts and car break-ins, but many suburban neighborhoods do, too. My parents live in a stable middle-class suburb of Scranton, PA and have had more quality-of-life crime-related issues than I've had living walking distance to the dreaded Hill District.

The city is at 33 homicides so far in 2019. We would have had a touch higher than that in 2018, but then Tree of Life happened. Speaking of mass shootings, do people think Littleton, CO; Newtown, CT; Blacksburg, VA; etc. are all "dangerous" cities? I mean El Paso, TX had a mass shooting at a Walmart but is typically one of the nation's safest large cities. I feel more fearful of a disgruntled middle-class white co-worker shooting up our building than I fear a poor black person from Homewood gunning me down as I'm driving through the neighborhood.

The VAST MAJORITY of the city is VERY safe. Property crime is high. There have been a recent spate of burglaries and vehicle thefts in the Fair Oaks section of Squirrel Hill. There have also been a spate of vehicle thefts across the East End targeting those who warm their cars up in the mornings with their vehicle's doors unlocked and their keys in the ignition prior to leaving for work.

As has been stated with a population of just ~300,000 even one homicide in Homewood or stabbing in Carrick can really make the city overall look worse on paper.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:08 PM

31,438 posts, read 70,429,646 times
I also see a lot of mentions of Denver.

You know what happens when you mention Denver?

Let's find out...

DENVER, DENVER, DENVER, DENVER, DENVER!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh