U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 12:03 PM

39 posts, read 56,793 times

Advertisements

Hi all. We are relocating to the area for work and the main work hub is out of Greensburg. We are looking for an area within 45 minutes of Greensburg to live in. I can easily search the stats, but it would be helpful to hear opinions and the general feelings about places, so I’m hoping you all can help?

We’re in our early 30s, no kids, both starting our own businesses, and would love to make friends in the area. I personally prefer small college towns and would love to find a group of 20-30 somethings for trivia, hiking, cookouts, and art nights. Not interested in the downtown Pittsburgh bar scene or traffic.

We’d like to pay no more than $1200 for a 2 bedroom (which is stretching it), would like to be within 20 minutes from a gym and grocery store, and bonus if we can ride dirt bikes around fairly easily.

I imagine that some of the more rural areas nearish to Greensburg may work, because they will be affordable, have room to ride our bikes, and we can drive to the collegey area of Greensburg for trivia and into Pittsburgh occasionally on the weekends, BUT I’m only speculating.

Would love to hear your thoughts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 12:10 PM

20,016 posts, read 9,030,727 times
Pretty tough to find legal/dirt bike riding areas anymore unless you know someone with property that will let you ride there.

https://www.creeksidemotocross.com/rules-of-the-track

https://www.minesandmeadows.com/

Old 12-23-2019, 09:25 AM

996 posts, read 257,280 times
My first thought would be Ligonier.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:14 AM

31,579 posts, read 71,691,236 times
There aren't any small college towns nearby. The closest ones would be California and Indiana (no, not the states---these are actual town names in PA). However, the commute from each to Greensburg would be about 40 minutes (probably at least an hour during wintry weather). Indiana is a delightful small college town with a traditional main street and box stores in the surrounding periphery (White Township). California is rather isolated and is surrounded by socioeconomically depressed areas.

I'd stick to Greensburg itself. It's a very nice small city within an easy drive of Pittsburgh during non-peak hours for forays to sporting events, museums, the zoo, the aviary, concerts, etc.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:25 AM

150 posts, read 61,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
There aren't any small college towns nearby. The closest ones would be California and Indiana (no, not the states---these are actual town names in PA). However, the commute from each to Greensburg would be about 40 minutes (probably at least an hour during wintry weather). Indiana is a delightful small college town with a traditional main street and box stores in the surrounding periphery (White Township). California is rather isolated and is surrounded by socioeconomically depressed areas.

I'd stick to Greensburg itself. It's a very nice small city within an easy drive of Pittsburgh during non-peak hours for forays to sporting events, museums, the zoo, the aviary, concerts, etc.
Yeah there is a lot to do in downtown Greensburg or if you'd like a rural area close by, try Salem township (that it actually shares a school district with) to the north, very rural area, but it along with Murrysville are both just a short drive away.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:59 AM

78 posts, read 82,463 times
You’re dead set on greensburg? Everyone I know from high school got out ASAP if they had the means to do so. I was born and raised there until the age of 20 and wouldn’t move back. Westmoreland county has as drug problem, unless it magically got better within the past 2 years. I find the area underwhelming in virtually all aspects, and wouldn’t really refer to it as a college town. It has none of that vibe despite having colleges in town. If you’re not chained to Greensburg I would try State College. The only thing I like about the Greensburg area is my family and some high school nostalgia.

Old 12-23-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharris0826 View Post
the main work hub is out of Greensburg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
You’re dead set on greensburg?
^ I think State College is inarguably the best college town and possibly best smaller-sized metro area in the state; however, it is NOT commutable to Greensburg. My best friends are Penn State professors and live in the Toftrees section of Patton Township, just outside of State College. They love living there. We love visiting them. State College is progressive and has a Trader Joe's; two Targets; two Walmarts; an H&M; numerous Starbucks locations; tons of ethnic eateries and mom-and-pop joints; etc. Crime is ridiculously low. Traffic congestion is only an issue for a short duration during the PM rush hour as well as a major issue during home football games. My partner and I are toying with the idea of moving there, actually, to be closer to our best friends and my family in Scranton.

Given that they have to commute to Greensburg, though? Then Greensburg is really their best option.

Old 12-24-2019, 05:30 AM

39 posts, read 56,793 times
Thanks for the replies! I saw California and Indiana pop up in my initial search, so I’ll keep those in mind. And yes, the hub is out of Greensburg, so we’ll have to be within driving distance. I’ll try to check out the towns soon. Merry Christmas!!!

Old 12-24-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharris0826 View Post
Thanks for the replies! I saw California and Indiana pop up in my initial search, so I’ll keep those in mind. And yes, the hub is out of Greensburg, so we’ll have to be within driving distance. I’ll try to check out the towns soon. Merry Christmas!!!
Merriest of Merry Christmases to you and yours as well!

I might recommend Blairsville to you. It is about 30 minutes northeast of Greensburg along U.S. Route 22 and is about 20 minutes south of Indiana. It is also about 45 minutes east of Pittsburgh. The town itself doesn't have a whole lot going on. It does have a great bakery, though (Market Street Pastries). The periphery of the town has your shopping/dining needs.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:43 AM

2,194 posts, read 2,258,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

What about Latrobe? St Vincent college is there. It must be within a reasonable drive since I have two friends who are professors there who also happen to live in Greensburg so that is a commute they have been making for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh