Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 10:04 AM

219 posts, read 143,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Several of the homicide victims from 2010–2019 were my peers and many were in my generation. Here’s a little talked about truth… Violent crime spikes and declines when it comes to homicides are due generational age factors.

~ In the 90’s it was mostly the late 60’s and 70’s babies misguided, frustrated and societally failed in deindustrialized, ghettos going to urban warfare with the arrival of crack cocaine, Bloods, Crips, the Eastside’s LAWs, Northside’s Original Gangsters/Gangsters, Westside’s Convictz and lesser extent independent gangs in public housing complexes of Duquesne/Clairton/McKees Rocks Terrace.
~ 2000’s: it was late 70’s and 80’s babies dying after a local gang resurgence due to individuals returning from 10-year War on Drugs prison bids.
~ 2010’s: it was mostly late 80’s and 90’s babies killing each other due to a gang scene without hierarchy and was exacerbated by the exploitation of the major heroin/opioid epidemic.
~ 2020’s: at some point it will be the late 90’s and 2000’s babies killing one another due to both contemporary factors and a continued legacy started in the late 80’s and early 90’s.

Thus violence has been in decline since 2014 in the city of Pittsburgh as (1) the statistical one percent who commit around 70% have died off, are incarcerated, are under intense police surveillance, or moved on from the lifestyle. (2) Better community police relations, shot spotter, and GVI police unit.

(3) For several reasons (gentrification, public housing demolition, depopulation/exodus of abandoned/ statistically high murder rate/ long-standing ghettos, more money in racially-mixed newer ghettos of the heroin/opioid epidemic, less GVI police presence/shot spotter/weaker police departments) the 1% who cause 70% of the violence are moving out of their traditional turfs within the city of Pittsburgh. Violence is rising where they are relocating. In Mt. Oliver (borough), the borough of McKees Rocks and nearby Stowe Township and Eastern Suburbs / Mon Valley.

Specifically the rough parts of the borough of Wilkinsburg and the municipality of Penn Hills (and soon to be Monroeville). The Mon Valley small cities of Clairton, Duquesne and McKeesport; Mon Valley boroughs of Braddock, North Braddock, Rankin, the southern portion of Swissvale, along with Homestead/nearby Munhall, parts of West Mifflin (Mon View Heights, Mifflin Estates and to a lesser extent the Homerville/Terrace neighborhoods and portion bordering Duquesne) and parts of North Versailles Township (Crestas Terrace and various apartment complexes of the Green Valley/Fite Station area). As of late 2010’s, even the Turtle Creek Valley (i.e. boroughs of East Pittsburgh, Pitcairn, Turtle Creek, Wilmerding and various apartment complexes of the West Wilmerding area of North Versailles Township).
See Pittsburgh Is Rapidly Losing Black Residents, Population Estimates Show
Yeah I was wondering which eastern suburbs yo meant? Does everyone think Monroeville is doing that bad (Other than a few at the mall)? I saw the old Westinghouse was having a new company with local headquarters there. I could see a good portion of North Versailles though, considering a lot of the towns its surrounded by. Churchill and Wilkins Township seem to be bucking the worsening trend of Woodland Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 10:09 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,359,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runpens1 View Post
Irwin you think? with how up and coming North Huntingdon has been lately.
Only reason I said Irwin is because drugs and drug trafficking. It’s located in between McKeesport and Jeanette. Hearsay says addiction is bad there too. Note those last groups of towns listed mainly have spillover issues from other areas in/near their respective counties. They don’t need to be mentioned in a thread about serious murders and drug/gang violence yet.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Only reason I said Irwin is because drugs and drug trafficking. It’s located in between McKeesport and Jeanette. Hearsay says addiction is bad there too. Note those last groups of towns listed mainly have spillover issues from other areas in/near their respective counties. They don’t need to be mentioned in a thread about serious murders and drug/gang violence yet.
Yeah that's true if you look at it that way. For the fringes of Allegheny County though, would you also include Tarentum and Coraopolis/Crescent Township/Leetsdale in those last group of towns? Due to their close proximities to New Ken/ Arnold and Aliquippa?Ambridge?

Old 01-03-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Yeah I was wondering which eastern suburbs yo meant? Does everyone think Monroeville is doing that bad (Other than a few at the mall)? I saw the old Westinghouse was having a new company with local headquarters there. I could see a good portion of North Versailles though, considering a lot of the towns its surrounded by. Churchill and Wilkins Township seem to be bucking the worsening trend of Woodland Hills.
Monroeville is susceptible mainly in and due to low-income apartment complexes such as Cambridge Square/Monroe Meadows at Trefoil Court, The Flats at Fox Hills and Northern Pike Apartments. However, if areas such as Garden City become more renter than homeowners they could be in trouble too. Drug trafficking is well documented, due to the high way access and vast seemingly non-surveillance’s parking lots. There are other more nuanced but less likely reasons that parts of the municipality could decline as well...

Braddock Hills is another one, Brinton Manor is in the same boat as its nearby neighbors in the Turtle Creek Valley.

Quote:
Yeah that's true if you look at it that way. For the fringes of Allegheny County though, would you also include Tarentum and Coraopolis/Crescent Township/Leetsdale in those last group of towns? Due to their close proximities to New Ken/ Arnold and Aliquippa?Ambridge?
Also with the exception of a few isolated ones in the South Hills and officer-involved ones in the North Hills and Shaler most of the homicides outside the city besides in Wilkinsburg occurred along either the Monongahela, Ohio or Allegheny River communities (technically includes Penn Hills, North Braddock, Swissvale, Munhall) or creek communities (i.e. Carnegie, East Pittsburgh and Pitcairn). Albeit, some isolated homicides in more suburban and financially sound, never really industrialized areas (one in Crescent Township, one in Robinson Township). But it’s good for thought. Mon Valley gets all the hype and people lump the Turtle Creek Valley on there... Natrona Heights and Tarentum (Verona to some extent) are easily next. Ohio River Valley suburbanites are probably crossing their fingers for Corapolis, Moon Crest, Leetsdale and even Bellevue/Avalon to not be next in socio-economic decline/city gang influx. Though Carnegie to me has been at-risk for years, but it seems to be holding on like Baldwin, Whitehall, Brentwood (in regards to spillover from the decline of Carrick).

Edit: sure do... I mentioned four of the areas you mentioned before I got to even read your third post... Yet only time will tell. If the Eastern Suburbs become too bad that low income families and gang members alike may want to continue to move up the Ohio River and Allegheny River communities and have already done so.

Last edited by Uptown kid; 01-03-2020 at 10:47 AM..

Old 01-03-2020, 11:37 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,838,440 times
Quote:
Irwin you think? with how up and coming North Huntingdon has been lately.
North Huntingdon Township has already started to plateau or decline. The commute from this area to Pittsburgh is horrible and it can easily take over an hour to get to airport from North Huntingdon. Unless you have family in the east Pittsburgh region or work in Monroeville, I am not sure why anyone would want to live in this area.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/no...typennsylvania

Old 01-03-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
North Huntingdon Township has already started to plateau or decline. The commute from this area to Pittsburgh is horrible and it can easily take over an hour to get to airport from North Huntingdon. Unless you have family in the east Pittsburgh region or work in Monroeville, I am not sure why anyone would want to live in this area.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/no...typennsylvania
https://archive.triblive.com/news/di...ool-districts/
https://archive.triblive.com/local/w...clining-trend/

These articles prove different with regards to Norwin school district and the increased housing growth in the township. Therefore, I'm not sure I entirely believe that estimate. I think it is based on the overall decline of Westmoreland County and the losses may be bigger in some areas then what is being recorded by the census. It does have the smallest decline of anywhere in Westmoreland County though. Unless the housing growth somehow isn't quite proportionate to population growth, I think it may be one of the few places east of the city (Westmoreland or Allegheny) to actually post a modest population gain this year. While you're right that there aren't many employers right within the township except for a large new Express Scripts center, it may be it's location near the turnpike and 30, relatively central between Pittsburgh/Monroeville and New Stanton/Greensburg/Latrobe that is keeping the township doing well. Ridc and Cranberry may not even seem too bad for some people.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:01 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,901,494 times
As I've noted in the past, there's a limit to how far the suburban sprawl of poor black folks can go due to the small black population of the City of Pittsburgh. Overall the entire black population of the Upper East End was around 30,000 in 2010 - and is undoubtedly significantly smaller today. This is about the same as the entire population of Plum Borough. Thus, there's no way even with a complete decampment of the city's black population you'd end up with that many more eastern suburbs turning into Braddocks or Wilkinsburgs. At least, not without 90%+ depopulation as well.

I expect that a handful of them will flip in time. East Pittsburgh for sure. Maybe Braddock Hills and Wilmerding in another decade or or two. But there are just too many cheap first/second ring suburbs east of the city - and too few black families - to expect some sort of catastrophic white flight to take place.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:06 PM

The difference between Irwin and places such as East Pittsburgh, Pitcairn, Turtle Creek, Wilmerding, parts of Penn Hills, non-public housing McKees Rocks, West Park in Stowe Township, etc., is that Irwin might get one or two drug pushers from South Jeanette or 3rd-7th wards of McKeesport. They won’t get into violent scuffles unless there’s some kind of drug debt or competition. Whereas, in the declining Eastern Suburbs (Turtle Creek Valley, Penn Hills, Brinton Manor, apts in Monroeville), non-project Stowe Rocks and newer city ghettos like Elliott/Sheraden, Marshall-Shadeland or southwest Brighton Heights near Woods Run (more so than the Mon Valley/Wilkinsburg/older city ghettos which have their own established street gangs), there’s a numerous mix of gang bangers influxed from multiple and sometimes rival hoods. Violence comes almost naturally when rivals are targeted, rob or run into each other by chance.

Places further outside the metro like New Castle, Farrell/Sharon, Eastern Ohio and West Virginia are home to drug traffickers from the Pittsburgh Metro, Detroit Metro, New York City, Chicago, Cleveland/Akron (in Youngstown/Warren/Eastern OH) and Tennessee (in parts of West Virginia). Vice has a choke hold in those areas due to drugs and poverty, but given that many of the pushers aren’t from there — there’s even less remorse!

Last edited by Uptown kid; 01-03-2020 at 12:20 PM..

Old 01-03-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
The difference between Irwin and places such as East Pittsburgh, Pitcairn, Turtle Creek, Wilmerding, parts of Penn Hills, non-public housing McKees Rocks, West Park in Stowe Township, etc., is that Irwin might get one or two drug pushers from South Jeanette or 3rd-7th wards of McKeesport. They won’t get into violent scuffles unless there’s some kind of drug debt or competition. Whereas, in the declining Eastern Suburbs (Turtle Creek Valley, Penn Hills, Brinton Manor, apts in Monroeville), non-project Stowe Rocks and newer city ghettos like Elliott/Sheraden, Marshall-Shadeland or southwest Brighton Heights near Woods Run (more so than the Mon Valley/Wilkinsburg/older city ghettos which have their own established street gangs) there’s a numerous mix of gang bangers influxed from multiple and sometimes rival hoods. Violence comes almost naturally when rivals are targeted, rob or run into each other.

Places further outside the metro like New Castle, Farrell/Sharon, Eastern Ohio and West Virginia are home to drug traffickers from the Pittsburgh Metro, Detroit Metro, New York City, Chicago, Cleveland/Akron (in Youngstown/Warren/Eastern OH) and Tennessee (in parts of West Virginia). Vice has a choke hold in those areas due to drugs and poverty, but given that many of the pushers aren’t from there — there’s even less remorse!
Yep probably much of West Virginia except for maybe Morgantown and the eastern panhandle. Add Johnstown to that list probably too.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Yep probably much of West Virginia except for maybe Morgantown and the eastern panhandle. Add Johnstown to that list probably too.
^Agreed again! Johnstown is indeed on my list as I keep track of these things (all documented in the areas listed below).

Altoona, PA
Clarksburg, WV
East Liverpool, OH
Erie, PA
Farrell, PA
Harrison County, OH
Johnstown, PA
New Castle, PA
Sharon, PA
Steubenville, OH
Warren, OH
Wheeling, WV
Weirton, WV
Youngstown, OH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh