Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 06:25 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,128,757 times

Advertisements

Too many variables to give a real opinion still. If I had to pick from those 3 I'd pick Pine but that just because all 3 are rated well and I like the Pine in terms of geography and density.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Ha- not the Nextdoor app.

I meant Pine-Richland is "next door" to NA geographically. I think the border between the two districts is whether you are E or W of Hwy 19. My kids were at NA for a couple of years (elementary) and academically they thrived, but socially it was an entirely different issue.

Ha, ok yeah that makes sense. Nextdoor app is interesting but still a lot of drama. We were going to buy a home in NA when we moved here 13 years ago but it fell through and there was a home I loved in Pine but it was just too small so we ended up in Avonworth. Both were rated well and personally I like the idea of a smaller school but in the end I've come to realize there are trade offs with whatever you pick. Less about the rating and size and more about what your specific kids need.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:40 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,682,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alb6 View Post
Hi! I grew up in Mt Lebo and moved away after I graduated. After living in northern California and Portland, OR, we are now coming back to be near family with our 6 year old daughter.

We are a multi-racial and multi-cultural family and have our fingers crossed that our daughter doesnt have to experience much racism at school. We also would love to have her live in a walkable neighborhood or a planned neighborhood development with other children around as she is an only child. Sports and music programs at school is important to us. Intense competition amongst the kids would be great to avoid.

We are nature lovers, and pretty down to earth, but also love the amazing heartbeat of Pittsburgh and all of its people. We would love to get some guidance as I have not lived in Pittsburgh for 30(!) years. I mentioned 3 schools, but would love to hear any other recommendations as well.

Thanks so much!
There are also great areas outside of Allegheny County where you can save on property taxes such as the following. They would meet your criteria I believe. Good schools walkable town area.

Beaver Borough, Beaver County
Zelienople Borough, Butler County
Greensburg City, Westmoreland County

Old 01-07-2020, 04:03 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,301 times
Fox Chapel. A NC mountain like community less than 30 min from downtown. Don't want to live in the woods - Aspinwall, Sharpsburg, and Blawnox are walkable. Our friends with kids love FC.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:11 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,456,740 times
Price not being an issue I guess, Fox Chapel would be my choice easy of those 3.

If it is an issue, I would look east.

Pretty much the only area within half hour of the city you can find hundreds of ~100k livable homes. The most integrated of the suburbs by a mile (with some low ranked sd unfortunately, but also probably the best truly diverse one in Gateway).

Even the 'school district' burbs, you can get twice the house for the money in Norwin than Pine or N.A. and its a very similar school district, just not as rich.

Old 01-08-2020, 01:30 PM

5 posts, read 3,228 times
Thumbs up Thank you so much for the helpful posts!

Thank you all for chiming in with your helpful info! It seems like there are so many good school districts around Pittsburgh. I just learned about the high property taxes and nearly fell off of my chair, but it sounds like they put the money to use in the school programs...unlike a lot of places her in CA.

We are thinking more about Fox Chapel, but I am concerned that we will have to be in a car and do lots of planning to give my daughter (only child) any sort of social life outside of school hours. In a new development in Pine, I feel like she could just walk out the door and find some kids...I'm guessing.

Mt. Lebanon schools and community offer so much, but the density may not be a good fit for us. We will check out the parks that were recommended when we visit in Feb.

A new house in Pine in a planned neighborhood is sounding more appealing, although it is so far from town and pastrami sandwiches at Permantis (!). North Park and Pine Park are very appealing. Our commute would be to Oakland. Our families are in the Avonworth district and Fox Chapel, and old friends are in S Hills. But, a new house has such an appeal for us as we fixed up the 100 year old farmhouse that we live in and it took 2 years and aged me 10!

We will check out the other neighborhoods you mentioned, such as Cannon Mac, Aspinwall, etc. Thanks again for your help! Cheers!

Old 01-08-2020, 01:44 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Allegheny County taxes are ridiculous, and even more so in the city.

If the denseness of ML is too much, I’d definitely recommend Pine-Richland over FC.

I had in-laws in FC. They had a beautiful home with a pond and some acreage. Extremely quiet area, oldest demographic in the state, and very nice, but you’re right in your assessment of it.

My niece goes to PR and loves it. They also live in a plan of homes, and yes, she can walk out her door and find some kids.

There’s a Primanti’s in Cranberry. Certainly not the atmosphere of the original, but still a nice place.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb6 View Post
Thank you all for chiming in with your helpful info! It seems like there are so many good school districts around Pittsburgh. I just learned about the high property taxes and nearly fell off of my chair, but it sounds like they put the money to use in the school programs...unlike a lot of places her in CA.

We are thinking more about Fox Chapel, but I am concerned that we will have to be in a car and do lots of planning to give my daughter (only child) any sort of social life outside of school hours. In a new development in Pine, I feel like she could just walk out the door and find some kids...I'm guessing.

Mt. Lebanon schools and community offer so much, but the density may not be a good fit for us. We will check out the parks that were recommended when we visit in Feb.

A new house in Pine in a planned neighborhood is sounding more appealing, although it is so far from town and pastrami sandwiches at Permantis (!). North Park and Pine Park are very appealing. Our commute would be to Oakland. Our families are in the Avonworth district and Fox Chapel, and old friends are in S Hills. But, a new house has such an appeal for us as we fixed up the 100 year old farmhouse that we live in and it took 2 years and aged me 10!

We will check out the other neighborhoods you mentioned, such as Cannon Mac, Aspinwall, etc. Thanks again for your help! Cheers!

I'd think Pine area would be a good fit in terms of nature. That is why we almost bought there 12 years ago, beautiful lot but the house was just too small for us and nothing else there worked so we ended up in Avonworth area. We hit up North Park pretty often w/ the dog. Plus being up in Pine area you can pretty quick get over to 79N to a few nice state parks too.

Old 01-09-2020, 07:30 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Given your desire for diversity, to be closer to Pittsburgh, and to live in a walkable neighborhood, you should at least give some thought about living in Squirrel Hill in the city. The neighborhood school for most of Squirrel Hill (Colfax K-8) is great. Though your comments about the "density" of Mt. Lebanon being too much for you suggest it might not be the best fit. It's hard to get both access to a walkable "town" area and large acreage after all.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:14 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,525,310 times
I think if you want to give your daughter the best chance of having friends that live around her you should build a home in a new community. Other areas may have kids but they will not compare with the number of young kids found in a new housing plan. If you buy an existing home there is a chance that you can whiff and have no kids on your block or street. There is basically no chance that will happen in a community of new homes at a reasonable price point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh