Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 09:20 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times

Advertisements

Downtown only has three Rite Aids - though oddly two of them are a three minute walk apart. You can literally walk to the end of the block the on on Penn is on, crane your head, and see the on on Stanwix. I presumed when that one opened they were going to close the Liberty one, because it's much nicer, but somehow both stay open.

The CVS are all weirdly clustered too, with one on Liberty, one on Fifth a block away, and one on Forbes a block from that one. Really though I guess it makes some sense, because there are a lot of parts of Downtown unsuitable for something like a CVS, either because they're big office buildings (Grant Street, the area around Gateway Center) or because there are lots of small buildings better used for restaurants (Market Square, Cultural District).

Old 01-08-2020, 09:21 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I discovered a Rite Aid I didnt even know about yesterday while walking around downtown and I have worked down there for 12 years. I hope that Target opens and puts a few of them out of business as most of them are downright disgusting inside.
I, too, am hoping for a Target inside the old Kauffmann's/Macy's.

I'm also hopeful Shake Shack might open their first Pittsburgh location inside the former Molinaro's. It would directly compete with Winghart's and Five Guys, of course, but it would be a great location for it. I mean Cleveland and Columbus both have multiple Shake Shack locations, and even Lexington, KY has a Shake Shack now, so in terms of distribution Pittsburgh is in the same general area. One should open here sooner rather than later.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:28 AM

716 posts, read 765,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
In regards to reviews I consider myself a semi-foodie, and when we DO travel a few times per year to other cities we DO check TripAdvisor in particular for ratings on locally-owned and -operated restaurants, and the reviews/ratings offered by TripAdvisor have often swayed our decision on where to eat. While vacationing in both St. Louis and Buffalo in recent years we enjoyed the food of two restaurants that we otherwise would not have learned about if we had not seen them featured on TripAdvisor, so, yes, online reviews/ratings are definitely relevant to help an existing restaurant succeed in attracting new patrons.
They surely can help people decide where to eat and can be helpful. I'm not saying I never look at them; that wasn't at all where my comment was coming from. I meant they're not an actual metric of how "good" or even how "successful" a restaurant is.

As an example, when we do look at reviews from Yelp/Trip Advisor my partner and I love reading the negative ones, out loud, and in a whiney naggy voice because it can be hilarious Some of the people that write the reviews are so petty and picky that it's just unreal. Then there are the self-proclaimed "expert" reviewers who consider their opinion to be so important and factual. (I think Randy Marsh was one of these on South Park one season.) Then there are the people who love the place because they have a friend who works there. Then there's the fact that restaurants can pay for higher placement to be featured or pay for reviews. That's just the kind of stuff you get from a convenience sample, which is why I would have a problem actually using the number of stars to show how good something actually is.

When we travel we will definitely look at these, but also sites like Eater and various subreddits specific to the location or food types. Or websites specific to the location, like here in Pittsburgh we have Urbanist and NextPittsburgh for example to get other recommendations as well. Basically we just mash it all.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:48 AM

I've never understood why there isn't a Mad Mex downtown somewhere. It seems like a no-brainer. It could cater to everyone - the downtown lunch crowd who isn't looking for fast causal, tourists, people who want to eat out at night but don't want fine dining, Point Park students, etc.

Actually, I don't think there are any Big Burrito restaurants downtown.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:03 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I've never understood why there isn't a Mad Mex downtown somewhere. It seems like a no-brainer. It could cater to everyone - the downtown lunch crowd who isn't looking for fast causal, tourists, people who want to eat out at night but don't want fine dining, Point Park students, etc.

Actually, I don't think there are any Big Burrito restaurants downtown.
I'm guessing they worry about being able to draw enough of a crowd to compete successfully against the Moe's, Chipotle, and Qdoba locations already established Downtown.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:13 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
I'm guessing they worry about being able to draw enough of a crowd to compete successfully against the Moe's, Chipotle, and Qdoba locations already established Downtown.
Moe's and Chipotle are an entirely different concept than a Mad Mex, though. It's Subway for burritos vs. a sit-down restaurant with a bar. Kaya and Eleven are just up in the strip, so Big Burrito might have other business reasons for staying out of the triangle.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
It's not really the same thing though. Those are Mexican-ish fast casual places. Mad Mex is a Mexican-ish sit-down place that serves alcohol.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:02 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's not really the same thing though. Those are Mexican-ish fast casual places. Mad Mex is a Mexican-ish sit-down place that serves alcohol.
Las Velas is hard to beat - pretty authentic, and great location.
Bakersfield and Condado Tacos are in the Cultural District. They're in the same fake, gringofied 'Mexican' food market that Mad Mex is..
Bea's has two locations on Smithfield - the one closer to the Cultural District should be avoided at all costs, but the one close to the Smithfield St Bridge is recommended - though probably too much of a hike for you to make it worthwhile on your lunch break.

Old 01-08-2020, 01:54 PM

755 posts, read 472,413 times
Quote:
I, too, am hoping for a Target inside the old Kauffmann's/Macy's.

I'm also hopeful Shake Shack might open their first Pittsburgh location inside the former Molinaro's. It would directly compete with Winghart's and Five Guys, of course, but it would be a great location for it. I mean Cleveland and Columbus both have multiple Shake Shack locations, and even Lexington, KY has a Shake Shack now, so in terms of distribution Pittsburgh is in the same general area. One should open here sooner rather than later.

Every time I travel I make side trips to try the latest burger joint craze (whether it be a detour in Utah for an In&Out or a jaunt to DC for a Shake Shack). I still think Five Guys has them all beat.

Downtown is sorely lacking in mid-range price options. Had a great seafood meal with great service at Eddie V's on NYE, but dinner and drinks for two (with some restraint) ran to almost $200. I agree that the Big Burrito group would do well, especially with a Mad Mex or Kaya type option. I hear they will soon be announcing another Alta Via location, which is nice, put a little too pricey to fit in the mid-range downtown. I think what we are seeing in Market Square is not worrisome, but just normal market churn or mismanagement or both.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:16 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
I saw the McDonald's on penn closed, I guess the strip district is now in decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh