Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 02:15 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,268,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
McDonalds old building is now gone and looks like a bank will be building and opening soon at that location.

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202006300041
How incredibly disappointing. Most of we Millennials and Gen Z’ers don’t even use physical bank branches anymore, so this building will be obsolete in 20 years.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:44 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,108,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
How incredibly disappointing. Most of we Millennials and Gen Z’ers don’t even use physical bank branches anymore, so this building will be obsolete in 20 years.
Yeah I havent needed a bank in some time but there is still a need for them and that location makes sense. As a consumer you might only need one for cashier checks or safety deposit boxes but the main reason for a bank location is business accounts. Lots of business in that area. Banks do not make money on most individuals, they make it in business services.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:53 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,005,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yeah I havent needed a bank in some time but there is still a need for them and that location makes sense. As a consumer you might only need one for cashier checks or safety deposit boxes but the main reason for a bank location is business accounts. Lots of business in that area. Banks do not make money on most individuals, they make it in business services.
i didnt think of that. i have not gone into a bank in maybe 10 years now.

maybe they can change their function, evolve into something more than a traditional bank. maybe even offer classes or brief seminars during the day for financial education. just thinking out loud, so to speak.

because i agree with what someone said just a comment or two back - wouldnt it be obsolete in a short time?

Old 07-03-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i didnt think of that. i have not gone into a bank in maybe 10 years now.

maybe they can change their function, evolve into something more than a traditional bank. maybe even offer classes or brief seminars during the day for financial education. just thinking out loud, so to speak.

because i agree with what someone said just a comment or two back - wouldnt it be obsolete in a short time?

Yeah my mom was in banking forever and a branch manager over in north side, she spent much of her days making business calls. As long as we use cash there will be a need for banks, most have much less staff than they used to but its just like most professional businesses they need a physical location because people at times need things in person and also need things last minute then there is the business side.

I do think it would be good to put on classes, they do someclasses just not usually at the branch. My mom would go out to organizations and put on classes (Fifth Third) at various places. I used to work for Schwab and we did classes all the time in our branches to teach on various services/investments. I do think local banks should put something on for basic finances, my kids learned zero about finance in school. Everything was from me and I'm often still surprised at some things they dont know.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:17 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,005,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yeah my mom was in banking forever and a branch manager over in north side, she spent much of her days making business calls. As long as we use cash there will be a need for banks, most have much less staff than they used to but its just like most professional businesses they need a physical location because people at times need things in person and also need things last minute then there is the business side.

I do think it would be good to put on classes, they do someclasses just not usually at the branch. My mom would go out to organizations and put on classes (Fifth Third) at various places. I used to work for Schwab and we did classes all the time in our branches to teach on various services/investments. I do think local banks should put something on for basic finances, my kids learned zero about finance in school. Everything was from me and I'm often still surprised at some things they dont know.

interesting....but you know, it occurs to me my online banks and brokerage have all kinds of on-demand informational things. seems there just is no need for excessive staff, and too numerous brick and mortar locations.

i just wish all ATMs were tied together, with no fees. I'd gladly pay a very reasonable, modest $2 monthly fee for the benefit of using ANY ATM if there were such a scenario.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
interesting....but you know, it occurs to me my online banks and brokerage have all kinds of on-demand informational things. seems there just is no need for excessive staff, and too numerous brick and mortar locations.

i just wish all ATMs were tied together, with no fees. I'd gladly pay a very reasonable, modest $2 monthly fee for the benefit of using ANY ATM if there were such a scenario.

Many businesses need a physical location, the branches are mainly there for them. Yes plenty of online but many people of all generations still prefer to talk to someone, I don't but many do. Most in person is really more of a way to sell but it does provide education. Yeah there are certain banks (I forget which, maybe it was USAA) that will rebate you so many ATM fees each month so you don't need to worry about where you go.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:50 AM

12,528 posts, read 17,441,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Times change, I for one still like to meet with people on a regular basis. I don't make physical deposits like I did back in the day when all my clients paid via check, but I'll go at least once or twice a month. Got to know the branch manager well which made things very easy when getting loans/mortgages. Always nice to have someone to call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh