Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2020, 09:17 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,689 times

Advertisements

Interesting story.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...es-in-america/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 10:12 PM

377 posts, read 667,428 times
To put things in perspective (another Wallet Hub trash list), many large cities on their list rate Lower or Equal to Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, including DC,NYC, San Francisco, Chicago, Detroit, STL, Cleveland,LA, et al.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:43 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
Ahhh something that doesn’t fit the narrative.

There is a lot of evidence to support that ranking. For a city with a big skyline and mostly excellent press it punches way below its weight. It’s not very good for finding a great paying job or long term career growth.

However when it comes to mismanagement, the big one is the legacy costs and Act 47. Pittsburgh was the first larger American city to be faced with bankruptcy in this country.

The development debacles such as the arena site. There are many others.

Allowing fire stations, city owned buildings, roads and critical infrastructure to deteriorate over decades.

The hiring of Mr. Fake resume to run Pittsburgh Public Schools.

Constant fighting between the same groups of people for a piece of the pie.

Allowing non profits and foundations to have too much say and power in the future of the city, causing more red tape.

Worst city for minorities and African Americans

The city has lost more than half the population at its peak while keeping the same size of council and not right sizing.

A city that for the first time ever in the 2010s is a majority of renters

The police chief indicted under Ravenstahl. Tom Murphy investigated in the
Early 2000s for giving the fire union a sweet contract to win their votes for re-election.

Those are some of the things off the top of my head. Otherwise it is a well oiled machine here. I think that ranking is favorable and better than expected. We could be dead last and it would be hard to argue against it.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:18 AM

994 posts, read 502,374 times
Quote:
Ahhh something that doesn’t fit the narrative.
Ahh, the narrative that is in your head.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:24 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
Look, I do no think you are even close to the worst person in the world, but I just disagree with almost everything you say, in any thread.

It’s not very good for finding a great paying job or long term career growth.

Like in a lot of places around the world, it depends on what your career IS. You have to be realistic about what is a marketable skill, what is in demand, and what pays how much.

However when it comes to mismanagement, the big one is the legacy costs and Act 47. Pittsburgh was the first larger American city to be faced with bankruptcy in this country.

Not by a longshot. Cleveland, NYC (I think), and Philadelphia (80% sure) all 'defaulted' prior to 1980. There might have been a slew of smaller cities that had too, like Newark and Camden, NJ, etc.

I agree with you here and really hope Peduto is called out on this during the next campaign and mayoral debates. But in this town, those events will probably be dominated with gimme gimmes and identity politics, with nary a mention of the URAs faux pas and such.

Allowing fire stations, city owned buildings, roads and critical infrastructure to deteriorate over decades.

I disagree with this - not that they ARE deteriorating, but it comes down to tax base. We just do not have enough money to fix all this crap.

You're being unfair. That did not come to light until AFTER he was under contract! The fact that he was not FIRED is a different discussion worth having. People have lost their jobs for not mentioning being busted for beer in college, or things like that.

Allowing non profits and foundations to have too much say and power in the future of the city, causing more red tape.

I agree. But in this day and age, it isnt about taking the bitter pill, but rather not hurting anyone's feelings. It would seem 'cruel' or 'racist', or homophobic/anti-homeless/anti-woman, or any other term some angry person will label the mayor, if he DID say 'enough is enough, we need to create wealth, not siphon it down a drain'.

There is ONE single reason why this may be - the bad educational attainment by as soon as the eighth grade. At that point, already the kids are at a disadvantage. I just don't buy that any other reason exists in such a magnitude to offset having attained a good level of education, personal resolve, and good life choices.

The city has lost more than half the population at its peak while keeping the same size of council and not right sizing.

I do not think the population has shrunk THAT much that council districts should merge. It seems the council is appropriately based on geography.

Maybe Venice was, too, during the Renaissance. Its just patterns. Is it so bad to be majority renters? I would prefer a city of families with children, safe streets where kids can play ball, busy commercial districts with parents walk to grocery shopping (versus driving), but thats rare in a lot of cities. Its just not how people live. Same with buying and renting.

Early 2000s for giving the fire union a sweet contract to win their votes for re-election.

Neither of those two things are THAT bad. It would be preferable to not have dishonesty from ANYONE let alone public servants, but its not like there was drug abuse, prostitution, or harrassment and threats involved.

Those are some of the things off the top of my head. Otherwise it is a well oiled machine here. I think that ranking is favorable and better than expected. We could be dead last and it would be hard to argue against it.

I think its WORSE that what i expected, actually. but you're right - could be worse.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Look, I do no think you are even close to the worst person in the world, but I just disagree with almost everything you say, in any thread.

It’s not very good for finding a great paying job or long term career growth.

Like in a lot of places around the world, it depends on what your career IS. You have to be realistic about what is a marketable skill, what is in demand, and what pays how much.

Not by a longshot. Cleveland, NYC (I think), and Philadelphia (80% sure) all 'defaulted' prior to 1980. There might have been a slew of smaller cities that had too, like Newark and Camden, NJ, etc.

I agree with you here and really hope Peduto is called out on this during the next campaign and mayoral debates. But in this town, those events will probably be dominated with gimme gimmes and identity politics, with nary a mention of the URAs faux pas and such.

I disagree with this - not that they ARE deteriorating, but it comes down to tax base. We just do not have enough money to fix all this crap.

You're being unfair. That did not come to light until AFTER he was under contract! The fact that he was not FIRED is a different discussion worth having. People have lost their jobs for not mentioning being busted for beer in college, or things like that.

I agree. But in this day and age, it isnt about taking the bitter pill, but rather not hurting anyone's feelings. It would seem 'cruel' or 'racist', or homophobic/anti-homeless/anti-woman, or any other term some angry person will label the mayor, if he DID say 'enough is enough, we need to create wealth, not siphon it down a drain'.

There is ONE single reason why this may be - the bad educational attainment by as soon as the eighth grade. At that point, already the kids are at a disadvantage. I just don't buy that any other reason exists in such a magnitude to offset having attained a good level of education, personal resolve, and good life choices.

I do not think the population has shrunk THAT much that council districts should merge. It seems the council is appropriately based on geography.

Maybe Venice was, too, during the Renaissance. Its just patterns. Is it so bad to be majority renters? I would prefer a city of families with children, safe streets where kids can play ball, busy commercial districts with parents walk to grocery shopping (versus driving), but thats rare in a lot of cities. Its just not how people live. Same with buying and renting.

Neither of those two things are THAT bad. It would be preferable to not have dishonesty from ANYONE let alone public servants, but its not like there was drug abuse, prostitution, or harrassment and threats involved.

I think its WORSE that what i expected, actually. but you're right - could be worse.
Disagreement is a good thing though. Having differing opinions and points of view are a good thing.

You are right people need to do research to find what jobs are available and what skills are in demand. In Pittsburgh that is certainly true and you need to do you research to see what is available around here and what the pay scales are. I am assuming most people are doing that already as growth into the city is non existent and declining. If people do their research they see most salaries across all fields of work are mostly lower than the US average. And the problem is You aren't going to get families nor are you going to have a substantial tax base to pull from. It’s happening and has been the case for decades around here. The more deaths than births are occurring because Pittsburgh is a niche occupation city with lower than average salaries being paid.

Pittsburgh needs to do better than just being a niche city. It is to worried about catering to two dozen computer grads from CMU than the thousands of high schoolers and other college grads in the region and keeping them here. It is stepping over dimes to grab pennies. Why can’t this be a city open to all occupations and those that want to be a mechanic and start their own business. Or what about somebody that wants to manufacture and produce products? We have a mayor that talks about diversity. The only way you get there is with economic diversity. It needs to be a place where all walks of life can make a living or start a business.

It’s accepted mediocrity and the culture is obedient to having corrupt politicians and mismanagement of Governing agencies ie.water authorities ( not investing in infrastructure, hiring unqualified family members), largest public school system retaining the Chief exec that lied on his resume. Both of those things set a poor example. There may be cities that have similar cultural problems, but many others don’t. Not cities as small as us. This also factors into the extremely slow development that may or may not occur.

The accepted mediocrity and obedient culture has accepted best lists instead of demanding real results. It’s allowed corruption to pretty much bankrupt the city and allow decades of infrastructure neglect where taxpayers can’t afford to foot the bill. You aren’t getting new taxpayers moving in. And you can only squeeze so much from a person making a lower than average wage.

It’s just an endless cycle. This city talks a big game and has a great PR team, but it never will live up to they hype. I have yet to see it stand and deliver during my life. A handful of people and agencies continue to make big $ and retain power at the expense of everybody else living here.

However there is hope. This group of people have the right idea. I am encouraged by it. Hopefully this gains traction.

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburg...facturing-hub/

Old 06-30-2020, 08:34 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
you make some good points. and thanks for the link.

but realize there are ALWAYS people behind the scenes doing good things. despite our perception of ineffective government, one might argue we at least have a good County government, and that there ARE jobs in the suburbs, growing companies, investments.

look at what we have acquired recently. BRT, for one, the airport Neighborhood 91 (or whatever it is) will come to fruition.

There IS at least one firm dedicated to the old Arena site, isnt there? A bank, I think? (who can keep track).

There IS stuff happening, and there is movement forward.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
you make some good points. and thanks for the link.

but realize there are ALWAYS people behind the scenes doing good things. despite our perception of ineffective government, one might argue we at least have a good County government, and that there ARE jobs in the suburbs, growing companies, investments.

look at what we have acquired recently. BRT, for one, the airport Neighborhood 91 (or whatever it is) will come to fruition.

There IS at least one firm dedicated to the old Arena site, isnt there? A bank, I think? (who can keep track).

There IS stuff happening, and there is movement forward.
The first national bank tower is going to be an excellent development project with the penguins. FNB is a top notch locally based bank. I would trust them to do it right over many other local companies like US Steel and GNC.

My issue is the opposition to it with the community and many posters on this board. It doesn’t meet this metric or it isn’t affordable. There should be no opposition up there. Nobody has been willing to develop that area for the better part of 50 years now. And we have city council and community groups opposed? That’s where I have the beef. Yet that same council person was silent on the freebie giveaway to amazon, which would’ve been the largest package of freebies given by any city that applied.

And I agree there are great things happening out by the airport area and the suburbs. The article I sent you is encouraging. That’s what needs to happen. They need to make this a diverse economy to be a success and keep pace with similar cities in size. I think this city can and should do better.

The city, county and surrounding region need to all work together to solve these problems. And then you have the colleges off doing their own thing.

Pittsburgh is concerned about catering to the small number of tech geeks and putting bans on industry that aren’t hip or sexy. And pointing to making bests lists.

CMU is too worried about where the next large endowment comes from and if they can fill the classroom with international students charging full price while our government foots some of that tab.

And then you have this group of folks trying to get others to see the bigger picture. They appear to be off on their own. If they didn’t reach out to others they should. If they did and places like the city choose not to support then shame on them.

Cooperation is not in the local vocabulary. If they all got on the same page the more deaths than births dynamic would disappear.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:47 PM

127 posts, read 83,241 times
It’s a liberal city. What else is new.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:19 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,899,609 times
I'm surprised that Pittsburgh is towards the bottom on the list. There is a lot of development going on and the city is trying to attract more diversified industry. I don't find it particularly poorly run from the vantage point of an outsider who travels there frequently and has a branch of my company there.

Detroit I agree with as I have lived there and the city unfortunately is poorly run. It has potential but there is a lot of incompetence in the city leadership and there has been multiple corrupt government officials. As much as it pains me to do it, also have to agree with Syracuse area which is my hometown. The city has not done much to attract investment or to stop industry from fleeing it like there's a plague there.

Still, I don't think that Pittsburgh deserves to be ranked so low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh