Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 06:27 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Shame. Speaking of good Italian food.

https://triblive.com/lifestyles/food...-by-years-end/
It’s definitely a shame, especially when shutting it down was poorly executed, and he can’t retain employees. Too much free stuff takes down another business.

“He said the pandemic added extra challenges with getting products. It’s also been tough to keep employees.“
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 07:40 PM

408 posts, read 231,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
It’s definitely a shame, especially when shutting it down was poorly executed, and he can’t retain employees. Too much free stuff takes down another business.

“He said the pandemic added extra challenges with getting products. It’s also been tough to keep employees.“
Yes I understand the pandemic added extra challenges but I’m sure his major reason was this

“ “It’s taken a toll on me,” Russell Donatelli said. “I have had to work longer and stay later. I physically can’t do it anymore.”

Granted I’m sure if he had employee’s they would be able to keep it going. However, I don’t blame people for not working in something they don’t want to either. His father sounded like a great man, giving people free food and they can pay him back when they can? Sounds great to me. So don’t always blame free stuff (I’m sure some of those people getting free money also gave to his business).

It does such something unique to an area goes away.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
Yes I understand the pandemic added extra challenges but I’m sure his major reason was this

“ “It’s taken a toll on me,” Russell Donatelli said. “I have had to work longer and stay later. I physically can’t do it anymore.”

Granted I’m sure if he had employee’s they would be able to keep it going. However, I don’t blame people for not working in something they don’t want to either. His father sounded like a great man, giving people free food and they can pay him back when they can? Sounds great to me. So don’t always blame free stuff (I’m sure some of those people getting free money also gave to his business).

It does such something unique to an area goes away.
He’s obviously having to work harder and stay longer because he can’t keep employees like he referred to. Get folks off the free stuff and back to work and this likely isn’t a story. It’s gone on wayyy too long.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:50 PM

408 posts, read 231,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
He’s obviously having to work harder and stay longer because he can’t keep employees like he referred to. Get folks off the free stuff and back to work and this likely isn’t a story. It’s gone on wayyy too long.
Extra benefits stopped a while ago. The amount of unemployed is also way down. In PA for example, it’s averaging the similar numbers before the pandemic. Again, the issue isn’t “Free stuff”.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Extra benefits stopped a while ago. The amount of unemployed is also way down. In PA for example, it’s averaging the similar numbers before the pandemic. Again, the issue isn’t “Free stuff”.
Extra benefits have, but free stuff hasn’t.

The issue he said is having to work harder and longer and he can’t take it anymore. He also addressed not being able to get employees. If these weren’t an issue he wouldn’t have said it. He would’ve simply said it’s time to go.

Old 11-12-2021, 11:52 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,535 times
Quote:
You can’t argue with an idiot. That poster keeps saying the same thing over and over. It isn’t true either.

Plus anybody who is complaining they can’t find people means they don’t pay enough. Oh well.

Old 11-12-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
You can’t argue with an idiot. That poster keeps saying the same thing over and over. It isn’t true either.

Plus anybody who is complaining they can’t find people means they don’t pay enough. Oh well.
It’s certainly true, and you promote the free stuff and calling it “freedom”, lol.

Funny how folks insisted on $15/hr, and now when that and more is being offered, they still don’t want to work.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:02 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
The labor shortage is in significant part people who decided to retire early. Over the last two years, 3.6 million people left the labor force who indicated they didn't want a job, and 89% of them are over 55. Given we're about 4.5 million jobs "in the hole" compared to prior to the pandemic, that's almost the whole enchilada.

Add to this women who left the workforce to care for children/sick relatives, and it accounts for almost everyone.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The labor shortage is in significant part people who decided to retire early. Over the last two years, 3.6 million people left the labor force who indicated they didn't want a job, and 89% of them are over 55. Given we're about 4.5 million jobs "in the hole" compared to prior to the pandemic, that's almost the whole enchilada.

Add to this women who left the workforce to care for children/sick relatives, and it accounts for almost everyone.
And there’s still folks collecting free stuff. Can’t keep giving out $$$ with a shrinking tax base.

I’m looking forward to seeing the % of folks that paid federal taxes this year.

Last edited by erieguy; 11-12-2021 at 12:21 PM..

Old 07-08-2022, 07:20 AM

468 posts, read 123,977 times
Just updating this old thread to note that both of the townhomes that were the original subject of the thread have now sold:

1. The first sold in August 2021 for $479, and it is currently assessed at (somewhat shockingly to me) only $243k.

2. The second sold in April 2022 for $475k, and given that this is so recent in time, there is no reassessment value posted on the county website yet.

Of course, the current assessment for the first property is a little shocking to me, and perhaps it is still going through the challenge process; however, if that were allowed to stand, it would seem to be a pretty sweet deal for the purchaser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh