Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:36 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Anyone from NY, NJ, or Philly who has visited Pittsburgh would laugh at the notion that Pittsburgh is (culturally) a NorthEastern city. If you look at a map, I guess one could argue that Pittsburgh qualifies.......but culturally??
Yes culturally. Not in everyway, but that’s because not every part of the region is the same. NJ, NY and Philly don't = Northeast. They are parts of the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 01:50 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
By the way, to add just a bit of substance to this discussion:

In 1974 the Office of Management and Budget issued Circular A-105, which defined ten "Standard Federal Regions". The idea was to slowly get the various domestic federal agencies to adopt a common regional structure. That never happened, however, and in 1995 the OMB rescinded Circular A-105.

As it turns out, Pittsburgh was in Region III, compromised of Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, and West Virginia. New York and New Jersey were in their own region (Region II), and all the states further northeast from New York comprised Region I. There was no higher-level region corresponding with a "Northeast" that would include both Pittsburgh and, say, New York City and Boston.

But I think the important point is that to my knowledge, this was the only recent attempt to define official U.S. regions under federal law--and it failed and was withdrawn. In that sense, there really are no "official" U.S. regions.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:49 PM

487 posts, read 1,380,310 times
I'm with Joe; influences aside, Pittsburgh is located in the Northeast.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
I'm with Joe; influences aside, Pittsburgh is located in the Northeast.
And to make sure I am being clear, you and Joe certainly are not alone in that sentiment.

But not everyone agrees with you and Joe, and indeed there are lots of different ways in which people can disagree with Joe's position. So my main point here has been that whether or not Joe thinks there should be a debate about this issue, that debate is in fact happening (and in my experience, certainly not just here).

Old 04-22-2008, 04:35 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
Obviously people feel strongly about this issue so I'll just say one thing.

Anyone from NY, NJ, or Philly who has visited Pittsburgh would laugh at the notion that Pittsburgh is (culturally) a NorthEastern city. If you look at a map, I guess one could argue that Pittsburgh qualifies.......but culturally??
I just don't think NY, NJ, Philly, B-More, DC, Bos all have the same culture. Even if they did, that would most likely exclude Pittsburgh as East Coast, or simply affirm what we all know already--that Pittsburgh isn't part of Bos-Wash.
In addition, I don't think "culture" is the only that should be examined in the determination of a city's status as Northeastern or not. BTW, what is East Coast culture anyway?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:04 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,008 times
I just wanted to add that I did another poll--this one on skyscraper forum in the Northeast section. According to those in the Northeast section:
6 consider Pittsburgh Northeastern and Appalachian
4 consider Pittsburgh simply Northeastern
2 consider Pittsburgh simply Appalachian
1 considers Pittsburgh Midwestern

I did not vote on this poll.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
In addition, I don't think "culture" is the only that should be examined in the determination of a city's status as Northeastern or not.
I would agree culture is not the only relevant issue when defining meaningful regions. I'd also cite history, physical geography, language, economics, communication and transportation patterns, governmental service areas, and so on. And I think on the basis of almost all the potentially relevant factors, one can meaningfully distinguish the region in question from both the Great Lakes region and the East Coast region.

As an aside, I think it is begging the question a bit to frame the issue as whether or not Pittsburgh is Northeastern, since before we get to that issue, we would have to determine whether or not the "Northeast" was a meaningful region. In other words, if we determine that, say, the region in question is sufficiently distinct from the East Coast that there is little utility in lumping them together in one larger region, then we might well conclude that the term "Northeast" wasn't serving to define a meaningful region.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:12 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
Pittsburgh is Northeastern. People who have only lived here part of their lives have opinions that don't count.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Pittsburgh is Northeastern. People who have only lived here part of their lives have opinions that don't count.
For what it is worth, as noted above the first time I had this conversation it was I, the person who was not from Pittsburgh originally, who took the position that Pittsburgh was Eastern, and it was the person who grew up in Monroeville who took the position that Pittsburgh was Midwestern.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:55 AM

125 posts, read 398,698 times
Quote:
Yeah, says you.
The thing is, we are closer to places that are considered mid-west and south than some places in the Northeast.
I'm not saying that Pittsburgh is one certain thing or another, but I don't necessarily think that it's definitetively Northeast... and I'm not sure why people care so much or are being so bratty about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh