Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 06:06 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Agreed. Growing up in the 50-60's my Aunt would always tell us how spoiled we were. She was right, what we had as teenagers versus what she lived through during the Great Depression and then watching her husband go off to war, no contest. While they did instill that work ethic into we Boomers, we still had it easy compared to Millennials. You could earn enough after school to buy a 100 dollar car, gas was 20 cents, 10 bucks was a lot of money. Try doing anything with 10 bucks today. Ah, don't get me started, just stf outta my yard.
Thank you for understanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Proves nothing. We can’t compare to the depression folks. They were way tougher, but you are really going back now. I would never claim to be as tough as people back in 1900-1940. I mean come on. Millennials wouldn’t last a day back then.
But Millennials seem to be lasting in Pittsburgh as it seems to be a pretty popular place to move to. It's not easy to place when most surveys only include cities like Seattle, Denver, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 07:06 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
I like it here as a Millennial because it's affordable, the area has a lot of amenities for a mid sized metro, the temperature here isn't as bad as it can be compared to a lot of areas in the summer and winter, and the area has a sense of character and authenticity.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:12 PM

969 posts, read 772,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Agreed. Growing up in the 50-60's my Aunt would always tell us how spoiled we were. She was right, what we had as teenagers versus what she lived through during the Great Depression and then watching her husband go off to war, no contest. While they did instill that work ethic into we Boomers, we still had it easy compared to Millennials. You could earn enough after school to buy a 100 dollar car, gas was 20 cents, 10 bucks was a lot of money. Try doing anything with 10 bucks today. Ah, don't get me started, just stf outta my yard.
I'm trying not to resent boomers and this sort of awareness helps.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:16 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Gordon Gekko was GenX?
Charley Sheen is Gen X. Movie came out in 87. Such great times. Greed for the lack of a better word is good. Greed is right, greed works. We enjoyed that style. Go out there and stake your claim.

How about now? ha, ha Venezuela he we come when we release the reins over to the younger set. We had a good run though. Geez. Pittsburgh seems to be a good fit though. Cheap enough still. Food is lousy for what you get though. Pittsburgh food scene sucks.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:31 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
I'm an old millennial (35), and gay, so my experiences might be unique, but I've always felt the dating scene here was dreadful. Everyone is either much younger or much older. The young professionals my age seem to have left. That leaves me either playing the cougar or entertaining daddies. That's why I had no issue moving to the country. Now I can be left alone.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:55 PM

377 posts, read 667,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Definitely visit both. I grew up in NJ and visited Philly often. Personally there is little that I think Philly has over Pgh, maybe food and the general location being closer to NYC, DC, and the shore. Costs there are expensive.
You must not have spent much social/entertainment time in Philly. I was born and lived in Pittsburgh through High School and still have several close relatives in the area. After High School, I went to PENN (in Philly) and never looked back. IMO, Philly is a smaller version of NYC and Pittsburgh is similar to Cincinnati in many ways. Philly's rapid transit infrastructure alone is significantly larger and more robust than Pittsburgh. You do not need a car to reach the majority of the many entertainment/food venues - even from the far reaches of the suburbs. In my experience, during many visits to Pittsburg to visit relatives/friends, a very active individual will likely run out new things to do within about 2 years and will need to start the repetitive process (not necessarily a bad thing). One big plus, Pittsburgh has over Philly (and many other Eastern cities) is the Cost of Living. It will cost over 20% more to live in Philly than Pittsburgh, BUT that will usually be partially offset by a general higher salary base (professional employees). That higher COL also typically reflects the relative desirability of an area. In summary, IMO, (Livability wise) Pittsburgh has little in common with Philly, other than being in the same State. My definition of "Livability" in this context is essentially, how long will a very active individual live in a place before getting bored for lack of things to do.

Last edited by acenturi; 02-11-2020 at 12:24 AM..

Old 02-11-2020, 06:47 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
I'm a young Xer (40) but I moved here when I was 25. My own two cents.

What I like about Pittsburgh is basically that it's offers pretty high-quality urbanism on a budget - though the price has gone up significantly in recent years. Still, it's much more affordable than the areas of the east coast I grew up in. If I had stayed out east I would have paid like four to six times as much for my first home, and likely have lived in a neighborhood which was far more "transitional" with much higher crime rates.

The only thing I don't like about Pittsburgh is the location. I'd like if if we were a few hours closer to the major cities in the Northeast Corridor. But if we were, this would also be a more expensive city.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:48 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,459,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
No one said it about the x’ers bud. We were why a movie like Wall Street was made. We killed it and the older gen loved us. I should know I lived it. We sure rocked and didn’t complain. Unprecedented stuff going on. Protests riots and more. Oh well.
Reality Bites was a good one about Gen X.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:54 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
Wall st was about a boomer, Reality Bites was about Gen X.
Yeah the oldest Gen X members in 1985 were about 20. Not really old enough just yet to be in the stockbroker world.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:58 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I'm an old millennial (35), and gay, so my experiences might be unique, but I've always felt the dating scene here was dreadful. Everyone is either much younger or much older. The young professionals my age seem to have left. That leaves me either playing the cougar or entertaining daddies. That's why I had no issue moving to the country. Now I can be left alone.
I'm sorry you feel that way. If it's any consolation I personally think you're quite the catch, and if I had thought I was in your league I would have asked you out years ago. Don't be so hard on yourself! Maybe you can find a lumberjack gay up in Armstrong County?

Another issue with Millennial gays in this city is just how many are currently on meth and/or heroin. It's insane (and sad). For some reason it's just swept under the rug, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh