Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2020, 06:31 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,684,713 times

Advertisements

May the memories of Pittsburgh Firefighters Patricia Conroy, Tom Brooks and Marc Kolenda be forever eternal. They paid the ultimate sacrifice in the East Hills. Trapped in a small house and their air ran out. It changed fire service tactics nationwide after this incident ensuring better fire scene command, structure size up and accountability.

These 3 fire fighters gave their life to make Pittsburgh a safer city. RIP

https://www.google.com/amp/s/passito...2-14-1995/amp/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 08:17 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Should mention this one as well.

https://archive.triblive.com/news/a-...-two-heroes-2/

Old 02-14-2020, 10:30 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
May the memories of Pittsburgh Firefighters Patricia Conroy, Tom Brooks and Marc Kolenda be forever eternal. They paid the ultimate sacrifice in the East Hills. Trapped in a small house and their air ran out. It changed fire service tactics nationwide after this incident ensuring better fire scene command, structure size up and accountability.

These 3 fire fighters gave their life to make Pittsburgh a safer city. RIP

https://www.google.com/amp/s/passito...2-14-1995/amp/
I remember this day vividly. I could see and smell the smoke from my backyard. Initially we did not know how tragic this would become. Up until a few months ago my office overlooked Bricelyn Street in Homewood.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I remember this day vividly. I could see and smell the smoke from my backyard. Initially we did not know how tragic this would become. Up until a few months ago my office overlooked Bricelyn Street in Homewood.
Yes terrible. There were a lot of broken hearts that Valentine’s Day. I was a teen then and it was all over the news and national news for days. It shows how desensitized we have become as a nation in 2020. Firefighters dying, cops getting shot was huge news. Now it’s just another day.

There is a video online documenting this event. It showed live footage of the fire scene and those that tried to rescue the 3 that perished. Very sad. I read the FEMA report. It looks like lax command structure, freelancing and no accountability at the scene. This crew was lost for over an hour and nobody knew it because there was no safety officer taking accountability. Crazy. There were a lot of changes across the nation with fire department accountability, structure size up and command after this fire.

https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/...ons/tr-078.pdf

Old 02-14-2020, 06:05 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Yes terrible. There were a lot of broken hearts that Valentine’s Day. I was a teen then and it was all over the news and national news for days. It shows how desensitized we have become as a nation in 2020. Firefighters dying, cops getting shot was huge news. Now it’s just another day.

There is a video online documenting this event. It showed live footage of the fire scene and those that tried to rescue the 3 that perished. Very sad. I read the FEMA report. It looks like lax command structure, freelancing and no accountability at the scene. This crew was lost for over an hour and nobody knew it because there was no safety officer taking accountability. Crazy. There were a lot of changes across the nation with fire department accountability, structure size up and command after this fire.

https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/...ons/tr-078.pdf
The young mother and son set the fire to cash in on the insurance policy.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:19 PM
gg

Quote:
He clearly states he is innocent and I think he was let free.

https://www.wtae.com/article/man-acc...-trial/8341368

Old 02-15-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
He clearly states he is innocent and I think he was let free.

https://www.wtae.com/article/man-acc...-trial/8341368
Im very skeptical that this was an arson case. I don’t have special information, but working in a field that kinda touches fire engineering I can talk about this. People used to be wrongfully accused a lot of the time. A lot of junk science was used in these cases. There was a big case in the Philly region that was similar. A man was accused of setting the fire and killing his parents. Junk science and gut feelings by investigators weren’t using science as they should. They guy was on death row and two fire scientists proved his story was correct and if he used gas to set the fire he would’ve been engulfed in flames. Montgomery County and State Farm paid out a huge lawsuit after that one.

Our criminal system is setup to protect innocent people from being wrongfully accused. It’s tragic what happened to the city fire fighters but somebody led on they were looking for a scapegoat to divert attention away from failures as a fire department that night. I’m sure they disproved something that’s why he was released.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:22 PM
gg

Wonder how many innocent people are in jail? 20%? Sad, but there is no doubt plenty. Most from crime areas for sure as well. Things seem to be getting a little better on that front. People are being set free more now. No one convicted for the Wilkinsburg mass murder. Doubt it will ever be solved by the courts, but the streets might solve it. We will never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: