Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 07:30 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times

Advertisements

This is what I have seen with my eyes. Apparently it is real and not imagined. 51 vacant storefronts in the flats. No question this part of the city is now in decline and has been since the early 2010s. This used to be the neighborhood to be. I still think the East Carson stretch has more to offer than any singular Pittsburgh neighborhood when it comes to small business and entertainment nearby. A few weeks ago the neighborhood estimates in Pittsburgh had the flats losing hundreds of people. Much to the shock of many. It looks like those estimates maybe spot on.

The southside works decline isn’t even mentioned in this article. That is the additional 800 Pound gorilla in the room.

Regardless this is troubling for Pittsburgh. We know downtown is struggling. Seeing the flats fall will
Hurt bad.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...PbRIwzw7dHqJpU

Old 02-17-2020, 07:42 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
We don’t know that downtown is struggling, because it isn’t. West Carson, however, has seen better days. It’s a nightlife district with horrifically bad nightlife. I can’t imagine any of those bars appealing to anyone but undergrads and yinzers. As the city becomes more cosmopolitan, nightlife is shifting to Downtown, Lawrenceville, East Liberty and even Garfield. The North Shore is pulling the people who prefer cheesy clubs.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:45 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
This is what I have seen with my eyes. Apparently it is real and not imagined. 51 vacant storefronts in the flats. No question this part of the city is now in decline and has been since the early 2010s. This used to be the neighborhood to be. I still think the East Carson stretch has more to offer than any singular Pittsburgh neighborhood when it comes to small business and entertainment nearby. A few weeks ago the neighborhood estimates in Pittsburgh had the flats losing hundreds of people. Much to the shock of many. It looks like those estimates maybe spot on.

The southside works decline isn’t even mentioned in this article. That is the additional 800 Pound gorilla in the room.

Regardless this is troubling for Pittsburgh. We know downtown is struggling. Seeing the flats fall will
Hurt bad.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...PbRIwzw7dHqJpU

I don't go down often enough to comment much but I was just down a week ago and really didnt notice anything major. We go every couple months since it is a hike for us and my son/friends go maybe every couple months. The article starts saying something about 51 empty stores then also says "A few years ago, business owners counted more than 100 closed storefronts." Not sure if what that ends up showing.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
We don’t know that downtown is struggling, because it isn’t. West Carson, however, has seen better days. It’s a nightlife district with horrifically bad nightlife. I can’t imagine any of those bars appealing to anyone but undergrads and yinzers. As the city becomes more cosmopolitan, nightlife is shifting to Downtown, Lawrenceville, East Liberty and even Garfield. The North Shore is pulling the people who prefer cheesy clubs.
What are you talking about? There has been plenty to show downtown losing restaurants, more crime and 10 year highs in vacant office space. It’s been well documented on this board. West Carson? Sure there is nothing over there lol. You mean East Carson right? What bars only appealing to undergrads and yinzers? Where have there been articles saying things are becoming more cosmopolitan? Mayor Peduto can you find the southside on a map?

I know exactly what it is. There are too many people in this town mouth breathing paycheck to paycheck. You know the same people that want you to go to Mickey dees and pay 10 dollars for trash food so the mouth breather that refuses to evolve can have 15 bucks an hour minimum wage and still mess up your order.

They want this town to be utopia. More like dystopia.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:58 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
What are you talking about? There has been plenty to show downtown losing restaurants, more crime and 10 year highs in vacant office space. It’s been well documented on this board. West Carson? Sure there is nothing over there lol. You mean East Carson right? What bars only appealing to undergrads and yinzers? Where have there been articles saying things are becoming more cosmopolitan? Mayor Peduto can you find the southside on a map?

I know exactly what it is. There are too many people in this town mouth breathing paycheck to paycheck. You know the same people that want you to go to Mickey dees and pay 10 dollars for trash food so the mouth breather that refuses to evolve can have 15 bucks an hour minimum wage and still mess up your order.

They want this town to be utopia. More like dystopia.
You might want to visit Pittsburgh every now and then. The only thing I’m going to address is the downtown crime: it’s decreasing, by every objective measure, despite what alarmist outside of the city would have you think.

https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbu...t?oid=15866130

By the way, that link shows that over 100 new businesses have opened downtown since 2016.

I honestly don’t know why they still let you post year. You are a troll with a clear agenda, and you have made this board objectively worse. You literally drive traffic away.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You might want to visit Pittsburgh every now and then. The only thing I’m going to address is the downtown crime: it’s decreasing, by every objective measure, despite what alarmist outside of the city would have you think.

https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbu...t?oid=15866130

I honestly don’t know why they still let you post year. You are a troll with a clear agenda, and you have made this board objectively worse. You literally drive traffic away.
I’m frustrated. I love the southside. You are the one claiming everything is becoming more cosmopolitan and gravitating to the east end. Neighborhood population estimates don’t back up your claim, in fact it has the growth in the west end, lower north sideand south hills city neighborhoods and greenfield.

Mayor Peduto can you find the southside flats on a map?

Please explain what a yinzer bar is too. I’d love to hear that.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:09 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Hahahah yeah half of the homes for sale have a price of $300,000+ in struggling Pittsburgh neighborhoods. Stick to Weirton, PghAccuweather...

Old 02-17-2020, 11:39 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Let me know when house prices drop below $100k in the flats. I'll be there in a minute. This is really exciting.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:51 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Hahahah yeah half of the homes for sale have a price of $300,000+ in struggling Pittsburgh neighborhoods. Stick to Weirton, PghAccuweather...
Don't you mean zman63? Flag his posts so be gets banned for the 40th time

Old 02-18-2020, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Where are all of these homes selling for 300K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Let me know when house prices drop below $100k in the flats. I'll be there in a minute. This is really exciting.
Doubtful that will happen. I have said a while back in previous posts that I had a great concern for the state of the southside. There were many vacant storefronts. A lot more than there has been in 20 plus years. You had the recent census estimates showing the neighborhood loose a lot of folks. Now the news is reporting this. I don’t know why people resort to personal attacks on here. This is something of great concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh