Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 12:31 PM

3,704 posts, read 2,636,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFuamatuMaafala View Post
Worth noting that there are currently TWO developments under construction that are literally built on the Montour Trail.

First you have McConnell Trails being built in Cecil. The developers have installed a tunnel here for their road to pass over, thus avoiding an at-grade crossing for trail users. The trail bisects this development.

Second is Summit Station in South Park, where the developers have helped build a new section of trail and have invested in a bridge for trail users to again avoid an at-grade crossing with the road leading into their development.

Google recently updated its satellite imagery so you can easily see where the land has been cleared and construction started on both of these (images from late last summer).

Hard to call Peters “bland”, there are some truly magnificent homes there. It does lack any sort of downtown....they’re trying to create something at the McMurray/Valley Brook intersection but it will always be suburban in nature, and it’s going to be the most expensive community along the trail.

No offense to anyone from Coraopolis but I’ve always gotten the “dumpy” vibe from it as well and I hate the one way separated traffic pattern there. With that said, they are literally completing the Coraopolis connection and it will be open by this summer. This is a crucial connection and passes through a new park on remediate brownfield, and passes under the busy route 51. Honestly this could be a game changer for the town as it turns it into a destination for trail users, and eventually will link up to the planned Ohio River trail. One more thing, I hear the section through the woods in Moon township is among the most beautiful on the entire trail, and I know the local conservancy up there has a lot of adjacent land locked up that will remain wooded and includes several other trails that branch off the Montour and head up the creek valleys. Big difference between Moon and Coraopolis and I don’t know either very well, so hopefully someone else can chime in on this area. I just know the trail efforts and conservation efforts and they are great in that area.

Once you get towards the eastern terminus, you end up with difficult access as it runs through a rugged valley and what appears close on a map may not at all be walkable or direct to get to the trail. The Clariton/Large section runs through a coal wasteland, crosses busy route 51, and shares the road with Peters Creek Road for a long time, and passes through a crazy dangerous tunnel with a blind corner and only room for one car despite being a two lane road. Currently no plans to reopen the old “Green Man Tunnel” and bypass the dangerous car route, and we may never actually see a separation from Peters Creek Road as the road itself uses the old rail bed for a portion of its length.

As far as the Panhandle goes. It’s true it’s paved but there’s also a large unpaved section east of McDonald, and runners can always run in the grass off the pavement for a softer surface. While there are coal patch towns dotting both the Montour and Panhandle lines, the Panhandle passes directly through the middle of Oakdale, Sturgeon, McDonald, and Midway, each of which have at least one or two businesses (McDonald and Oakdale have several) for trail users to stop and patronize...grab a drink or an ice cream or a bite to eat. This is lacking on the Montour aside from Library and Imperial. Even in McDonald, Montour users must take a couple of miles detour via the Panhandle connector and Panhandle trail to access the trail station and business district.
Very nice summary. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 09:55 AM

942 posts, read 2,507,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFuamatuMaafala View Post
Worth noting that there are currently TWO developments under construction that are literally built on the Montour Trail.

First you have McConnell Trails being built in Cecil. The developers have installed a tunnel here for their road to pass over, thus avoiding an at-grade crossing for trail users. The trail bisects this development.

Second is Summit Station in South Park, where the developers have helped build a new section of trail and have invested in a bridge for trail users to again avoid an at-grade crossing with the road leading into their development.

Google recently updated its satellite imagery so you can easily see where the land has been cleared and construction started on both of these (images from late last summer).

Hard to call Peters “bland”, there are some truly magnificent homes there. It does lack any sort of downtown....they’re trying to create something at the McMurray/Valley Brook intersection but it will always be suburban in nature, and it’s going to be the most expensive community along the trail.

No offense to anyone from Coraopolis but I’ve always gotten the “dumpy” vibe from it as well and I hate the one way separated traffic pattern there. With that said, they are literally completing the Coraopolis connection and it will be open by this summer. This is a crucial connection and passes through a new park on remediate brownfield, and passes under the busy route 51. Honestly this could be a game changer for the town as it turns it into a destination for trail users, and eventually will link up to the planned Ohio River trail. One more thing, I hear the section through the woods in Moon township is among the most beautiful on the entire trail, and I know the local conservancy up there has a lot of adjacent land locked up that will remain wooded and includes several other trails that branch off the Montour and head up the creek valleys. Big difference between Moon and Coraopolis and I don’t know either very well, so hopefully someone else can chime in on this area. I just know the trail efforts and conservation efforts and they are great in that area.

Once you get towards the eastern terminus, you end up with difficult access as it runs through a rugged valley and what appears close on a map may not at all be walkable or direct to get to the trail. The Clariton/Large section runs through a coal wasteland, crosses busy route 51, and shares the road with Peters Creek Road for a long time, and passes through a crazy dangerous tunnel with a blind corner and only room for one car despite being a two lane road. Currently no plans to reopen the old “Green Man Tunnel” and bypass the dangerous car route, and we may never actually see a separation from Peters Creek Road as the road itself uses the old rail bed for a portion of its length.

As far as the Panhandle goes. It’s true it’s paved but there’s also a large unpaved section east of McDonald, and runners can always run in the grass off the pavement for a softer surface. While there are coal patch towns dotting both the Montour and Panhandle lines, the Panhandle passes directly through the middle of Oakdale, Sturgeon, McDonald, and Midway, each of which have at least one or two businesses (McDonald and Oakdale have several) for trail users to stop and patronize...grab a drink or an ice cream or a bite to eat. This is lacking on the Montour aside from Library and Imperial. Even in McDonald, Montour users must take a couple of miles detour via the Panhandle connector and Panhandle trail to access the trail station and business district.
This is such great information! My husband is an avid cyclist, mostly road, but would love a gravel bike. Do you have any other suggestions for moving to an area close to trails. We are currently in AZ and some of our trails have homeless under the bridges, which has led to some accidents. The thought of a cool, shady trail accessible from our home is soooo appealing, particularly now that it is hot here.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh