Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:38 PM

22 posts, read 64,261 times

Advertisements

It's not working out in Pittsburgh for me.

The stagnant economy, coupled with the absolutely pathetic response by elected officials to the concerns of the middle class and working poor, has convinced me that it's time to move on.

Where have YOUR friends and family members moved to, and how do they like it there? I'm also open to moving to another country for better opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 01:42 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,859,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker654321 View Post

The stagnant economy, coupled with the absolutely pathetic response by elected officials to the concerns of the middle class and working poor, has convinced me that it's time to move on.

Where have YOUR friends and family members moved to, and how do they like it there? I'm also open to moving to another country for better opportunities.
Well certainly right now, it isn't easy to find places in the U.S. where the economy is doing great and people are happy with how their elected officials are addressing the concerns of the middle class and working poor.

But the problem with moving to most countries were conditions would be better is that it can be very difficult to get a job, and very difficult to secure permanent residency.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:54 PM

15,630 posts, read 26,107,949 times
Quote:

Hubby and I moved to California. My sister moved to Maryland. My other sister and her family are Pittsburghers through and through, as is my mom. They hain't a-going nowhere.

However, I do agree with Brian -- it might not be the best time to move... I know CA is in a heckuva mess with the real estate, immigration and crime mess.

(I kid you not -- the guy they use as the police spokeperson to the media -- who is a detective on the Oakland PD -- has come out in favor of residents using handguns if they feel their lives are in danger. This is after three THREE!!! shootings of robbers in the past week -- after eight takeover robberies of restaurants and their patrons.

Now -- it's one thing to let the people go for doing righteous shootings -- I'm all for that. But it's a totally other thing to go to the media (newspaper and television) and say basically heck yeah -- go at it. He did mention that we have to meet the criteria for it -- we can't go all vigilante -- but at the same time doesn't that basically say -- Hell -- we give up. The police are totally ineffective and you better just care of yourselves. )

Old 04-23-2008, 01:54 PM

125 posts, read 397,240 times
One of my best friends moved to Arizona and he likes it there. I think the job market is generally better there, but the cost of living is much more too.
A few friends have moved to Baltimore/D.C./other places in MD and are constantly complaining about how much everything costs there, too.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:20 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,620,287 times
Quote:

I'm actually planning to move to Pittsburgh, but I'll tell you what I did to come to my decision. Over the past five years, I've spent my vacations in areas I was considering so I could get a feel for what they're like. I looked into the economy, the weather, housing costs, culture, etc. It really helped me focus in on what is important to me. My list includes low housing costs, city not suburb, vibrant art scene, good stock of historic homes, and a few other things specific to my field. I loved most of the places I visited, but Pittsburgh fit most of my criteria.

I suggest you do the same. You can narrow your search through online sites like this forum, chambers of commerce, city websites, and talking to friends and family. Once you've got a few places that seem like contenders, go visit them. I contacted people in my field I "met" through professional organizations online to find out what the opportunities were like in my field. This was especially helpful. The place(s) you're considering might be great for someone in your field and terrible for someone in another field. Schedule a date with a local realtor to look at homes, wander neighborhoods, talk to people, meet with people you've contacted.

Good luck!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:55 PM

713 posts, read 1,858,345 times
Quote:

Many of my friends and relatives have had to move away for the same reasons, it makes me very sad to see my home region dying.

They've mostly moved south and west like so many others in the "Pittsburgh Diaspora." One moved to Charlotte then to Baton Rouge, LA, another moved to Blacksburg, VA and then to Austin, TX. Another moved to Winchester, VA (west of D.C.). An aunt moved to Florida. Friends have moved to D.C., eastern PA, etc.

Other countries? China is booming, especially Shanghai and other major port cities. I saw that with my own eyes. All those factories that used to be in Pittsburgh are now in China. New freeways are being built everywhere, people are getting cars for the first time, no one is bitching about how the government isn't giving them handouts, no one is whining about Global Warming and pollution...*sigh*

It's a lot like the U.S. was 50-100 years ago. China is well on their way to becoming the next superpower, as the U.S. continues to decline.

Last edited by kpoeppel; 04-23-2008 at 08:06 PM..

Old 04-23-2008, 08:15 PM

76 posts, read 318,015 times
Quote:

South: North Carolina, Maryland, Northern Virginia, Florida...

Look to a growing economy for future earnings...I think we owe it to our ancestors to move into a growing economy. Most of us would be in another country if it wasn't for our great/ great-great grand...father/mothers looking for a better future for themselves or the next generation... Sorry I agree with some local economist.. The Pittsburgh area economy will not grow substantially during our generation.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:17 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,159,120 times
I married an Illinoisan and moved there. Divorced him (no comment), met a Nebraskan in Illinois who wanted to live in CO. So here we are, almost 28 yrs later.

My bro recently moved back to Pgh after first living in eastern PA and later in Fla.

My BFF moved to DC at age 21 and has been there ever since. Her younger sister moved there also. Her brother was in the Navy and was stationed in Seattle, liked it so much he stayed. Her older sister settle in S. Carolina.

My two cousins moved to N. Carolina and Michigan, respectively. Cousin #1 also lived in Texas for a while.

Yes, COL is higher in most of those places than in Pgh. Salaries usually make up for some of that. The availablity of jobs is a draw. It took my bro a year to find an entry level job with a college degree and 20+ years experience in HR when he moved back to Pgh.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:21 AM

366 posts, read 940,124 times
Quote:

I've lived in McKeesport PA, State College PA, Turner ME, Pawleys Island SC (only for 9 months ), Cincinnati OH, Memphis TN, and Chicago IL. I'm now back in the Pittsburgh area. The one thing I've promised myself is if I ever move again out of PA it will be to a beach town. I'm thinking Pawleys Island or Murrells Inlet in SC.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:03 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,595,723 times
My mother and cousin have both moved to Rostraver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh