Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2020, 02:22 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times

Advertisements

The mortality rate is dropping for an obvious reason - the U.S. has been under testing, and several states (like New York) have the ability to test thousands of people on a daily basis now.

As I said upthread, even a mortality rate of less than 1% is disastrous if a substantive proportion of the population gets infected and we have millions needing hospital care simultaneously.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:23 PM

684 posts, read 419,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The mortality rate is dropping for an obvious reason - the U.S. has been under testing, and several states (like New York) have the ability to test thousands of people on a daily basis now.

As I said upthread, even a mortality rate of less than 1% is disastrous if a substantive proportion of the population gets infected and we have millions needing hospital care simultaneously.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to eschaton again.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:28 PM

755 posts, read 472,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Good news, the mortality rate in the US for the coronavirus is dropping. Not surprising that the initial numbers were pretty skewed.

Couple that with the very promising treatments being tested now, maybe some of the panic, and talk of millions dying will subside.
Just a little math lesson here. We have no idea what is the mortality rate, or even the real infection rate, because we have tested so few people. It is the demnominator (# people testing positive ÷ # people tested) in the equation that is all-important now.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:32 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:

I don’t think anyone is arguing against that.

The key word, however, is “if”....and “if” people would stay out of highly contagious areas like schools, hospitals, etc..., unless it’s absolutely necessary, the numbers have a lesser chance of growing.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:07 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:

It's nearing 1% now, and will almost certainly continue to drop as time goes on, and that is calculating confirmed cases.

The percentage of people needing to be hospitalized is equally as skewed as the mortality rate, as it's only counting the confirmed cases.

You are using two completely different sets of data. You cannot use the percentage rates for confirmed cases, then use the total estimated number of people that may contract the virus. The total number of people that will contract the virus will be many times higher than the number of confirmed cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Just a little math lesson here. We have no idea what is the mortality rate...

That's what I've been telling people for days now, and why people panicking over initial skewed numbers is pointless.

You quoted me, but you should be directing your post towards eschaton.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:07 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
It's nearing 1% now, and will almost certainly continue to drop as time goes on, and that is calculating confirmed cases.

The percentage of people needing to be hospitalized is equally as skewed as the mortality rate, as it's only counting the confirmed cases.

You are using two completely different sets of data. You cannot use the percentage rates for confirmed cases, then use the total estimated number of people that may contract the virus. The total number of people that will contract the virus will be many times higher than the number of confirmed cases.

That's what I've been telling people for days now, and why people panicking over initial skewed numbers is pointless.

You quoted me, but you should be directing your post towards eschaton.
What do you get out of not taking this seriously?

Old 03-19-2020, 04:17 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
What do you get out of not taking this seriously?
Who’s not taking it seriously?

Not everyone is in panic mode and realizes these numbers can be highly exaggerated because “if”.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:20 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:

1%? I doubt it is that high in the US or any northern European country. Probably more like .001%.

I think we should reopen after 14 days and people that are sick self-quarantine Economy gets back on track and we go out to eat more. Next.

Look at this. Do people have any idea how many people don't get tested????? Look at the sophisticated countries. Seriously, this thing is nothing. Do people know how many residents are in China? Over a billion more than we have in the US. Yes, a BILLION. Look at these numbers and put the untested multiplier in there. I consider Italy and China really near third world in sophistication.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:30 PM

1,913 posts, read 738,744 times
"After four days of public criticism, the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission reversed course Thursday and announced it will reopen all 17 of its service plazas beginning at 7 a.m. Friday."

https://triblive.com/local/regional/...plazas-friday/

Old 03-19-2020, 04:48 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
As of 8 p.m. all non life sustaining businesses in PA are to shut down.

This includes construction.

I'm kinda glad actually. I've been working from home, and there's really no room for me to dig any more holes in my back yard...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies