Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2020, 05:14 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
What are you going to do differently to what you’re doing now if/when the virus is confirmed in the area?
I won’t do anything differently because I am already practicing social distancing, including working from home, keeping my kids home from school, and paying my nanny to stay home (because she couldn’t easily afford to not work). I’m also taking precautions when in public to get groceries and supplies, but I’m not, for the time being, keeping an inordinate amount of daily supply inventory on hand. We probably have 3 weeks of food and 6 weeks of other essentials, but that’s not out of the ordinary for me.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:16 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I won’t do anything differently because I am already practicing social distancing, including working from home, keeping my kids home from school, and paying my nanny to stay home (because she couldn’t easily afford to not work). I’m also taking precautions when in public to get groceries and supplies, but I’m not, for the time being, keeping an inordinate amount of daily supply inventory on hand. We probably have 3 weeks of food and 6 weeks of other essentials, but that’s not out of the ordinary for me.
So what do you think they’re not telling you?

Old 03-12-2020, 05:18 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Downplaying it and being/not being transparent are 2 different things. Most everything is being closed down as precautions. What do you think they’re not telling you?

What are you going to do differently to what you’re doing now if/when the virus is confirmed in the area?
Also, as far as the information not disclosed, it is the number tested in the area, the capacity to test, and why people in the area who seemingly meet the criteria to be tested are (anecdotally) being turned away. Other than lack of supply and the potential for the person getting the test to be exposed when they might not be sick already, there is no real downside to testing. In my business, this is what is called asymmetrical risk - there are two downsides, but one downside (letting the disease spread before the healthcare system has the time to ramp up capacity) is far worse than the other (cost of testing and tracking down chains of infection).

ETA: I think provision of this information would cause people to take social distancing more seriously for the (hopefully short) period of time it will take to get testing capacity to where it needs to be.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Also, as far as the information not disclosed, it is the number tested in the area, the capacity to test, and why people in the area who seemingly meet the criteria to be tested are (anecdotally) being turned away. Other than lack of supply and the potential for the person getting the test to be exposed when they might not be sick already, there is no real downside to testing. In my business, this is what is called asymmetrical risk - there are two downsides, but one downside (letting the disease spread before the healthcare system has the time to ramp up capacity) is far worse than the other (cost of testing and tracking down chains of infection).
What do you think they’re not telling/disclosing to you that can possibly cause a problem in the area?

Old 03-12-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:

ETA: I think provision of this information would cause people to take social distancing more seriously for the (hopefully short) period of time it will take to get testing capacity to where it needs to be.
Pretty sure the media has caused the majority of people to become so scared/panic stricken that they’re taking social distancing extremely seriously, especially those that are buying enough supplies to last for months at a time.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:44 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Pirates/MLB cancelling Spring Training games.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...irus-concerns/

Old 03-12-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Pirates/MLB cancelling Spring Training games.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...irus-concerns/
Interesting that the Pirates had fans at today’s ST game.

Season is postponed at least 2 weeks.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:09 PM
gg

Here are the requirements for testing.

Sometimes i think this thing is ridiculous, but who really knows. "mild" is the word used.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...virus-testing/

Old 03-12-2020, 08:08 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
Yes, as has been said many times unless you are in a high risk demographic it is not a big deal for you personally. I understand not wanting to spread it to those that are high risk but most people won't end up at the hospital and from this news most people won't even know if it is a bad flu or corona since it seems not everyone will be tested.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:01 PM
gg

Check your local schools for closures. I see Fox Chapel is closed all of a sudden due to a very outside chance that someone could have come in contact.

I am sure there are more schools closing, so just a heads up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies