Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 11:30 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,119,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Originally Posted by Knepper3
Doesn't stop many people from coming into stores accusing staff of hoarding things for themselves or getting irate about such policies of not returning things. Sadly the longer this goes on the more people will get frustrated, irritable, and possibly more aggressive which thankfully my daughter could just leave and pick up more hours at her other job until hopefully classes return to normal in fall.

Sounds like the job isn’t for her.Sounds like the job isn’t for her.

Sounds like it isn't the job for anyone. You act like they should just accept poor treatment. Most of the staff there are people working hard to support their families and many have had hard times. Not everyone has the option to stop work for a few months or even weeks. They are putting themselves at risk for less than what many will be making on unemployment. It is a service they are providing, maybe not in health care but they also don't have the option to leave and collect unemployment. UE is clear that if your business is open and you are not sick you are not eligible.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:33 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,109,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Sounds like it isn't the job for anyone. You act like they should just accept poor treatment. Most of the staff there are people working hard to support their families and many have had hard times. Not everyone has the option to stop work for a few months or even weeks. They are putting themselves at risk for less than what many will be making on unemployment. It is a service they are providing, maybe not in health care but they also don't have the option to leave and collect unemployment. UE is clear that if your business is open and you are not sick you are not eligible.
I’m saying it’s not the job for everyone. Some people can handle the attitudes with retail and dealing with the public and some people can’t. It’s not an easy thing to do.

You said she has another job where she can pick up hours. Sounds like the best option for her.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I’m saying it’s not the job for everyone. Some people can handle the attitudes with retail and dealing with the public and some people can’t. It’s not an easy thing to do.
And nowhere did I say she can't handle it. I said she should not have to nor should anyone else.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:35 AM

14,362 posts, read 16,946,112 times
Quote:
Actually, the way the new unemployment system is set up, basically anyone can collect unemployment who isn't able to work from home.

One of the stated allowable reasons for collecting unemployment is - literally:

Quote:
the individual has to quit his or her job as a direct result of COVID–19
You just need to self-certify this (or another) reason under pain of perjury. So you can quit your job, tell the state unemployment office that you felt unsafe in the workplace because reasons, and collect regular unemployment +$600 per week.

Of course, it doesn't help if you need health insurance or something, but it's a great short-term option for lower-wage workers who feel they are in unsafe working conditions.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Actually, the way the new unemployment system is set up, basically anyone can collect unemployment who isn't able to work from home.

One of the stated allowable reasons for collecting unemployment is - literally:

You just need to self-certify this (or another) reason under pain of perjury. So you can quit your job, tell the state unemployment office that you felt unsafe in the workplace because reasons, and collect regular unemployment +$600 per week.

Of course, it doesn't help if you need health insurance or something, but it's a great short-term option for lower-wage workers who feel they are in unsafe working conditions.

Is that state or federal language? I am just going off what several others have told me and the PA UE site currently says. Item #5

Old 04-09-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
And nowhere did I say she can't handle it. I said she should not have to nor should anyone else.
Unfortunately, it’s a job that entails “taking it” from the public. It’s never going to change. Don’t like it, find another job.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:13 PM

14,362 posts, read 16,946,112 times
Quote:
Is that state or federal language? I am just going off what several others have told me and the PA UE site currently says. Item #5
That's federal language. The chart is correct insofar as you don't qualify for unemployment if you're on paid leave. Although really the truth seems to be a bit messier - if you're out on disability, for example, you could still qualify for expanded unemployment, just with your unemployment benefits reduced dollar for dollar to account for the disability payments.

But no, that language about quitting your job due to COVID-19 is absolutely in there. I had to write a series of memos regarding this for work. Basically the way that Pandemic Unemployment Assistance - the alternate means of unemployment available for gig workers and the like - is put together, anyone can qualify if they've been rejected or otherwise are not qualified for regular unemployment. So if you take a voluntary furlough, or if you just up and quit, you absolutely should be eligible.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
That's federal language. The chart is correct insofar as you don't qualify for unemployment if you're on paid leave. Although really the truth seems to be a bit messier - if you're out on disability, for example, you could still qualify for expanded unemployment, just with your unemployment benefits reduced dollar for dollar to account for the disability payments.

But no, that language about quitting your job due to COVID-19 is absolutely in there. I had to write a series of memos regarding this for work. Basically the way that Pandemic Unemployment Assistance - the alternate means of unemployment available for gig workers and the like - is put together, anyone can qualify if they've been rejected or otherwise are not qualified for regular unemployment. So if you take a voluntary furlough, or if you just up and quit, you absolutely should be eligible.

I greatly suspect that many in this situation will never end up receiving anything, either from misinformation or denials that never get approved. Good to know, even more of a reason to be thankful to anyone working right now. Most service workers are making maybe $10-15/hr. Even if you assume a very low UE award of $150/week, add the $600 on top and they would make more money sitting at home not exposing themselves to risk.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I greatly suspect that many in this situation will never end up receiving anything, either from misinformation or denials that never get approved. Good to know, even more of a reason to be thankful to anyone working right now. Most service workers are making maybe $10-15/hr. Even if you assume a very low UE award of $150/week, add the $600 on top and they would make more money sitting at home not exposing themselves to risk.
At least they have jobs and/or are getting or have the opportunity to get unemployment. Many businesses, independent contractors, etc..., are receiving nothing.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:09 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,494,404 times
[quote=erieguy;57801261]At least they have jobs and/or are getting or have the opportunity to get unemployment. Many businesses, independent contractors, etc..., are receiving nothing.[/QUOTE

What else, Bingo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies