Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 11:12 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post

It is very frustrating to hear that people aren’t taking this seriously. All this means to me is it will be longer before things return to something that looks more like normal.
Seems to be more one extreme versus the other. There are those that are very much scared to death and there are those that look at death toll/number of people who have recovered, and aren’t scared at all. Until if/when there’s a mandatory lockdown, I don’t see things changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 07:33 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
Quote:
From what I hear, I am taking this more seriously than many of my close friends and family. I just hope when the inevitable shelter in place order is issued, that I’m not precluded from visiting friends and neighbors who have isolated themselves with equal rigor. Our plan is that once we hit the two week mark, expanding our circle to a few others who have taken equal precaution makes sense, assuming none of us exhibit symptoms of illness.
From my understanding, shelter in place orders in other states are not actually lockdowns. In practice they're not too different than what Wolf's executive orders have done already - non-essential businesses are closed, most people are not supposed to go to work, but people are allowed outside to get groceries and the like so long as they maintain social distancing.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:19 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,108,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
From my understanding, shelter in place orders in other states are not actually lockdowns. In practice they're not too different than what Wolf's executive orders have done already - non-essential businesses are closed, most people are not supposed to go to work, but people are allowed outside to get groceries and the like so long as they maintain social distancing.

Yeah it is all in a name, aside from anything else Wolf has done or being in agreement with what is closed I think avoiding the stigma of calling it something else was a good call. I have family in CA and many there freaked out hearing it initially.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:08 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,144,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It is not a lockdown in the sense that you can leave your house for specified reasons (which, in the US, has included outdoor recreational activities), however, at least in Illinois, all gatherings with those outside of your household are banned. If PA were to enact something similar, it would mean technically I would be breaking the order to visit a friend or group of friends who were similarly self-isolating for two weeks or more. I believe this is enforceable by state and local police and the national guard.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coron...hau-story.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excerpt from Chicago Tribune
The directive prohibits any gathering larger than 10 people, in keeping with the latest recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It also bars residents from socializing in-person with people outside their household, meaning even small parties and casual get-togethers should not take place.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yeah it is all in a name, aside from anything else Wolf has done or being in agreement with what is closed I think avoiding the stigma of calling it something else was a good call. I have family in CA and many there freaked out hearing it initially.
I am pretty sure you wouldn't be seeing the numbers and density of folks in parks as we saw yesterday under a shelter in place order. In the states that banned all gatherings, including church gatherings, that would change things for some, as well.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I am pretty sure you wouldn't be seeing the numbers and density of folks in parks as we saw yesterday under a shelter in place order. In the states that banned all gatherings, including church gatherings, that would change things for some, as well.

Not really from what I have read. CA shelter in Place the parks are still open, people are still allowed to travel to them. I was reading article about local residents near one complaining there was more people in the parks than normal. It seems all parks are pretty popular there. If it is a decent size park it is pretty easy to maintain a good distance. I wanted to fly my drone yesterday and thought about going to the Emsworth park here but it is small and since it was really nice figured too many people (Virus plus I am not allowed to fly over people and people are a pain anyway)

Old 03-23-2020, 11:21 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,112,869 times
Quote:
It is not a lockdown in the sense that you can leave your house for specified reasons (which, in the US, has included outdoor recreational activities), however, at least in Illinois, all gatherings with those outside of your household are banned. If PA were to enact something similar, it would mean technically I would be breaking the order to visit a friend or group of friends who were similarly self-isolating for two weeks or more. I believe this is enforceable by state and local police and the national guard.
My parents are in their 80s and live in another state, but within driving distance. I would like to be able to go and visit them at some point, but I absoltuely do not want to be a Typhoid Mary bringing disease into their home. I've been very diligent about self-isolating, but until there are widespread tests, I can't know if that's been enough.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My parents are in their 80s and live in another state, but within driving distance. I would like to be able to go and visit them at some point, but I absoltuely do not want to be a Typhoid Mary bringing disease into their home. I've been very diligent about self-isolating, but until there are widespread tests, I can't know if that's been enough.

Understandable, no one in my house is sick. My mom is just 20 mins over in Crafton in a 55+ apt complex which is not allowing any visitors. She is 68 partially handicap with lung issues normally but still needs stuff, I was there Saturday to drop off a few things and I had to keep telling her to stay away and just let me put her stuff in her cart. Really I am the least likely to give her anything but still, all the others in that complex still go out for walks and many drive and then all go up in the same elevator.

Honestly I worry more for my mother about the lockdown effects than the risk of disease. She's alone and now just over 1 week in is feeling very lonely and disconnected wanting in person human contact.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Understandable, no one in my house is sick. My mom is just 20 mins over in Crafton in a 55+ apt complex which is not allowing any visitors. She is 68 partially handicap with lung issues normally but still needs stuff, I was there Saturday to drop off a few things and I had to keep telling her to stay away and just let me put her stuff in her cart. Really I am the least likely to give her anything but still, all the others in that complex still go out for walks and many drive and then all go up in the same elevator.

Honestly I worry more for my mother about the lockdown effects than the risk of disease. She's alone and now just over 1 week in is feeling very lonely and disconnected wanting in person human contact.
I feel for both of you. You are faced with an incredibly tough set of decisions that I am sure no one wishes to have to make. There is a lot of research out there linking the impact of social isolation to chronic illness and health care costs. This is especially true in the senior population, which is a population I study with respect to healthcare for a living.

I totally get that for some (many? most?) the impact of social isolation and the impact to the economy will be far worse than the impact of the disease. I really hope people will continue to take this seriously and that the public health system is able to expand capacity (especially in the arena of aggressive testing and contact tracing) so as to minimize the detriment to the economy and to mental health and well being of all of us who feel a bit trapped.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:00 PM

969 posts, read 764,342 times
Quote:
I feel for both of you. You are faced with an incredibly tough set of decisions that I am sure no one wishes to have to make. There is a lot of research out there linking the impact of social isolation to chronic illness and health care costs. This is especially true in the senior population, which is a population I study with respect to healthcare for a living.

I totally get that for some (many? most?) the impact of social isolation and the impact to the economy will be far worse than the impact of the disease. I really hope people will continue to take this seriously and that the public health system is able to expand capacity (especially in the arena of aggressive testing and contact tracing) so as to minimize the detriment to the economy and to mental health and well being of all of us who feel a bit trapped.
I think we are well beyond contact tracing. That is not where resources should be going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh