Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2020, 03:23 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I was specifically talking about the silver lining to the pandemic and how that's made it more acceptable to have minimal or no contact sales. Now you're trying to tell me what I was referencing? You just want to argue or something?
Only those like you who are unaware of the process see this. Many have known this for years.

Nope, not arguing, just educating. You’re living in the past as far as vehicle sales go, and have proven to be clueless of what’s been going on for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 03:25 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
T
The serology data from NYC shows pretty conclusively that the death rate in the U.S. from COVID-19 really is in the range of 1% - which means it's about twice as deadly as the Hong Kong Flu. It also appears to be much, much more infectious. So it's not 100% analogous.

I really think the leaders of the world didn't have a choice in how they reacted. I mean, things like restaurant attendance collapsed by 90% even prior to any official government action. Airline travel collapsed all on its own as well. We were going to have a steep, steep recession regardless of what action was taken. I tend to believe if the economy is trashed regardless, it's best to focus on saving lives. That doesn't mean keeping everything locked down until a vaccine is available, but it does mean that we can't fully ease up until we have a robust testing system and the ability to trace contacts when community transmission occurs.
1% is too high. Many think it is more like .05% because so many go undetected. The world has doubled in population since 1968 and we have to look at per capita only. A percentage. The media hates per capita because it isn't fearful enough.

It is all about controlling our minds and having people live in fear. You get people focused on fear you can easily control them. People are easily led if in a fearful state.

Remember, my posts are purely psychological in nature, not about death rates as much. The contrast is due to our psychological state. Easily led. I am not condoning morons running around with guns and what we see in Michigan. I am WAY more moderate for such a dumb thing, so think in a moderate way. Be safe, keep everything super clean, wear a mask and keep apart, but still get to work and try and save us from soup lines and looting. We aren't at the end of this thing. The financial stuff hasn't hit yet. We can't keep printing money. There is a point we will collapse. We are closer to that now than ever before. I should know. It is part of my job to know the economy. If people only knew.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:29 PM

36,917 posts, read 38,864,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Only those like you who are unaware of the process see this. Many have known this for years.

Nope, not arguing, just educating. You’re living in the past as far as vehicle sales go, and have proven to be clueless of what’s been going on for many years.
You're telling me that I'm not saying what I'm saying, because I'm somehow unaware of the process despite there actually being accounts of people insisting and getting no or minimal contact sales during the pandemic and specifically using the pandemic as the rationale for doing so? Good one. When was the last time you weren't physically in the presence of a single person when purchasing a vehicle? Absolutely zero contact?

Old 05-08-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
That's pretty hilarious. You're telling me that I'm not saying what I'm saying, because I'm somehow unaware of the process despite there actually being accounts of people insisting and getting no or minimal contact sales during the pandemic and specifically using the pandemic as the rationale for doing so? Good one. When was the last time you weren't physically in the presence of a single person when purchasing a vehicle? Absolutely zero contact?
1 person here said it.

If you wanted to buy a vehicle in PA during the lockdown, that’s how it had to be done, however, the process to do so has been in place for years.

Zero times. I don’t like that process, and I want to see the vehicles I’m interested in and drive them before I buy.

If you want that process for a used vehicle, not from a new car franchise, Carvana has been doing it for years, and has also lost 10’s of millions of dollars in the process.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:34 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,101,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The total number of deaths over a seven-day period has been above 10,000 for around a month now. Right now it stands at 12,563

I really don't want to get in a political pissing match, but the Democrats didn't need a recession to defeat Trump, and if destroying the economy was actually their top priority they wouldn't be making good-faith efforts to continue to pass economic stimulus packages.

Not sure what this has to do with anything. Regardless, we're in a general market failure right now, and we'll have Hoovervilles and the like if we don't vigorously intervene in the economy. Even the GOP realizes this, which is why you saw a lot things in the CARES Act McConnell wouldn't have touched with a ten-foot-pole a month earlier - and why some Republicans now are straight-up suggesting the government just pay the salaries of workers up to a certain threshold for the duration of the crisis.

The serology data from NYC shows pretty conclusively that the death rate in the U.S. from COVID-19 really is in the range of 1% - which means it's about twice as deadly as the Hong Kong Flu. It also appears to be much, much more infectious. So it's not 100% analogous.

I really think the leaders of the world didn't have a choice in how they reacted. I mean, things like restaurant attendance collapsed by 90% even prior to any official government action. Airline travel collapsed all on its own as well. We were going to have a steep, steep recession regardless of what action was taken. I tend to believe if the economy is trashed regardless, it's best to focus on saving lives. That doesn't mean keeping everything locked down until a vaccine is available, but it does mean that we can't fully ease up until we have a robust testing system and the ability to trace contacts when community transmission occurs.
Thank you for such a well reasoned and fact based reply. Posts like this have been sorely missing from this thread.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
1% is too high. Many think it is more like .05% because so many go undetected. The world has doubled in population since 1968 and we have to look at per capita only. A percentage. The media hates per capita because it isn't fearful enough.

It is all about controlling our minds and having people live in fear. You get people focused on fear you can easily control them. People are easily led if in a fearful state.

Remember, my posts are purely psychological in nature, not about death rates as much. The contrast is due to our psychological state. Easily led. I am not condoning morons running around with guns and what we see in Michigan. I am WAY more moderate for such a dumb thing, so think in a moderate way. Be safe, keep everything super clean, wear a mask and keep apart, but still get to work and try and save us from soup lines and looting. We aren't at the end of this thing. The financial stuff hasn't hit yet. We can't keep printing money. There is a point we will collapse. We are closer to that now than ever before. I should know. It is part of my job to know the economy. If people only knew.
Well, we don't actually know the percentage right now. That's just the truth of it. Certainly, we know more than we did a couple months ago, so that's good. Numbers are good and so is understanding them!

There was good reason to do a lockdown--it's almost certain that the number of deaths were increasing at a radically higher rate prior to the lockdowns. Not just a raw numbers things, but an actual rate increase. Now that more is known and the virus is somewhat better understood, a steady loosening of restrictions with plans to prevent and mitigate any flare-ups is a reasonable next step and it looks like pretty much every developed country is looking at how to do so.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
1 person here said it.

If you wanted to buy a vehicle in PA during the lockdown, that’s how it had to be done, however, the process to do so has been in place for years.

Zero times. I don’t like that process, and I want to see the vehicles I’m interested in and drive them before I buy.

If you want that process for a used vehicle, Carvana has been doing it for years, and has also lost 10’s of millions of dollars in the process.
You understand people exist, including people who buy cars, outside of city-data, right? It was an extreme rarity to have minimal or no contact purchase prior to the pandemic. It's also not like one can't do a test drive without having contact with another person. What are you test riding, the dealer selling you the car or the car itself?

Old 05-08-2020, 03:40 PM

5 posts, read 1,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
1% is too high. Many think it is more like .05% because so many go undetected.
Considering 0.23% of NYC residents have died from Covid-19 (19686/8.4 million), I don't think the stated 0.05% fatality rate is accurate.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grout456 View Post
Considering 0.23% of NYC residents have died from Covid-19 (19686/8.4 million), I don't think the stated 0.05% fatality rate is accurate.
Those aren't good numbers, but that 20K deaths is for the state not the city. That works out to ~0.1% of the population dying which is still much higher than 0.05% and certainly one should clarify what fatality rate means (the 0.1% is for total population of NYS so far and not just for people who have contracted the virus since certainly not every person in NYS has contracted the virus). It also bears to mention that the fatality rate at ~0.1% for the total NYS population so far is the result after a pretty thorough and long lockdown with many other measures put in place which isn't indicative of what would have happened had no measures or less far-reaching measures had been put to place, but other states so far haven't been hit nearly as hard as NYS and the NYC metropolitan area in particular.

Then again, though, one has to consider if people who die are ever really dead or if they are with us forever in our hearts. That line of argument nets you a stellar 100% survival rate.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
You understand people exist, including people who buy cars, outside of city-data, right? It was an extreme rarity to have minimal or no contact purchase prior to the pandemic. It's also not like one can't do a test drive without having contact with another person. What are you test riding, the dealer selling you the car or the car itself?
Yep, but you referenced here.

Except it wasn’t an extreme rarity to have minimal or no contact purchase prior to the pandemic, only in your mind do you think it was.

They simply set up the deal online and may or may not care to test drive the car. Even the person here that you’ve referenced said they can check the car out before taking it, however, they don’t have to have contact with anyone. One can pull into the dealership and the car will be sitting there ready to be test driven or not.

Lmao. I’m test driving the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh