Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:21 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times

Advertisements

When my daughter was in high school a few years ago, they had to do some racism project for one of her classes. It turned out the most bias was towards Hispanic girls, then teenage girls in general. This was in an affluent suburban Denver high school. It's everywhere.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:46 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,133,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubanoCrazy View Post
,the people there have a redneck mentality there.
When you get out of the University area, Pittsburgh does have a lot of rednecks. Go outside of the city limits and it gets even worse.

Pennsylvania is an odd state where, the minute you go outside of the cities you encounter a much different sort of people.

Anyhow, there are hardly any Hispanics as a result most Pittsburghers know hardly anything about Hispanic culture. Most of what you encountered is likely ignorance and a general xenophobia rather than blatant racism against Hispanics.

Incidentally, I've been involved in a few conversations out here where the people were thinking moving to Pittsburgh because its hmm....lack of brown people. I always tell them how great the city is to encourage the move!

Old 09-29-2008, 07:03 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,913,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
When you get out of the University area, Pittsburgh does have a lot of rednecks. Go outside of the city limits and it gets even worse.

Pennsylvania is an odd state where, the minute you go outside of the cities you encounter a much different sort of people.

Anyhow, there are hardly any Hispanics as a result most Pittsburghers know hardly anything about Hispanic culture. Most of what you encountered is likely ignorance and a general xenophobia rather than blatant racism against Hispanics.

Incidentally, I've been involved in a few conversations out here where the people were thinking moving to Pittsburgh because its hmm....lack of brown people. I always tell them how great the city is to encourage the move!

Do you Humanoid? Thanks for sending racist our way. We are so thankful to you Elitist from LA to help our need for racist white bigots!

I bet people out there in LA are so un-racist, and no racism occurs in LA..........Nope not LA.

What a stupid thread this is. If you are so young and naive to think that racism doesn't occur anywhere, than don't make such stupid threads.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:32 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,133,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Do you Humanoid? Thanks for sending racist our way. We are so thankful to you Elitist from LA to help our need for racist white bigots!

I bet people out there in LA are so un-racist, and no racism occurs in LA..........Nope not LA.

What a stupid thread this is. If you are so young and naive to think that racism doesn't occur anywhere, than don't make such stupid threads.
Again, lets not talk about LA. If you disagree about what was said about Pittsburgh then disagree with that.

Whether racism occurs or in what sense in occurs in other areas has nothing to do with racism in Pittsburgh. What is odd is that I never even claimed that Pittsburghers were racist against Hispanics.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:46 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,694,184 times
Just a quick note from me:
Before you start insulting each other, take a deep breath. Count to 10. Drink a cup of tea. After all this, check again if fighting is really what you want
Yac.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:38 AM

6,295 posts, read 11,007,815 times
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but bigotry and racism in all forms exists in virtually EVERY community in this country. It usually is more subtle in the northeast and more overt in other areas especially the south.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:46 AM

374 posts, read 1,281,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubanoCrazy View Post
People in Pittsburgh are very racist,i used to live in pittsburgh a while back and the people there are very racist if you are hispanic or have an accent,even thou i don't look hispanic , people automatically think you are Mexican or eat tacos,they act like there isn't another world outside of Pittsburgh,just because you have an accent and are hispanic doesn't mean you are an illegal alien and having an accent doesn't mean you don't speak English,i'm a U.S. citizen,that's one of the reasons why the area isn't growing and they have no job growth,and they have too many taxes,the people there have a redneck mentality,ill never visit pitssburgh again nor would i recommend anyone to move there.

I've read somewhere that Pittsburgh was one of the most Racist cities in america.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:12 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,485,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.davon24 View Post
I've read somewhere that Pittsburgh was one of the most Racist cities in america.
Yeah, there was some kinda discussion on a Yahoo forum and Pittsburgh came up a few times...like every city in America (although others were coming up far more often but that could be because more people from those cities were on that particular forum).

Old 09-30-2008, 12:32 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,913,551 times
Cities with more college educated people tend to be less racist. Well, that is atleast what I have noticed. The working class in both Philly and Pittsburgh seem racist. However, the younger college educated crowd in those cities doesn't.

This is what I have noticed. When I worked as a line cook in a restaurant/Bar there were many rasict people there.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:47 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,338,250 times
We don't have the population nor events to mark us as the most racist city. Some of us are tired of hearsay, post a link to a more factual study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh