Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:57 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
Well I think I can add a comment to your observasion. As I said before in a prior post, I spent alot of time locked up in 'Shuman Detention Center' as a kid. I was ALMOST ALWAYS the ONLY WHITE kid on my unit, ALL the different times I was sent there (which was 5 or 6 times). It's well over 90% of the kids who are locked up in there, are black. Adult prisons ain't much different (unless you go out west were there's alot of hispanic too).

The reasons you see that, blacks are commiting crimes at a WAY higher of a % than the whites. The local media ain't racist, there just reporting what happens. If a black guy robs a bank, are they suppose to tell the public that a white man did it? Look at all the black neighborhoods around Pittsburgh. You think ANY of them would be considered safe? The Hill District, Garefield, Manchester? The list goes on and on. Not to mention areas just outside the city, like Braddock, Homewood, etc.

It's not bias your seeing, it's REALITY. Take your hometown of NYC. Are crimes committed at a higher % of black people than whites? Are the white bankers and accounts of Mannhattan on a crime spree? Now, take the black neighborhoods. What about Harlem? Or East NY? Or South Bronx? Or Jamica, Queens? Or Far Rockaway, Queens? Reality is, that blacks are more likely to commit a crime (especially violent) compared to a white person. These are the facts, racism isn't why you see them on the news more.
If this is really the case, have you ever given thought to WHY it happens?

Old 10-07-2008, 01:44 AM

629 posts, read 901,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
If this is really the case, have you ever given thought to WHY it happens?
Lets just say, I have a theory or two on it, and leave it at that LOL.........

Old 10-07-2008, 11:09 AM

71 posts, read 185,668 times
Welder's Post: "Are the white bankers and accounts of Mannhattan on a crime spree?"
Yes, they are, they are on C-Span now and we, taxpayers, have just been robbed out of $700,000,000,000 by them and the incompetent, corrupt, and crooked politicians.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:03 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I am going to say this. Not everyone in PGH is racist, but I wouldn't be suprised that Pittsburgh has racial prejudice in it. Every city has it. I also think there is alot of ignorance in Pittsburgh. I thnik TV can have some influence in that. The news often is riddled with stories about crime. If the only information one person gets about another ethnic group is through the news and that news is usually bad, then that person will probably develop an opinion that way. Sad but true. Not everyone thinks like this in Pittsburgh, but there are cases where this happens. When one turns on the TV and hears stories about crime and the suspect is usually black, this might be what you see, but what about the good stories? The stories about crime might be true, but if that is all one shows, then that is just sad. One's opinion about any ethnic group should never be shped by way of the TV. One should go out and meet people, or at least realize that every individual is different.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:15 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Please - For some reason minorities in all cities think the city itself is racist, and this is coming from a black woman....I will admit Pittsburgh is not well diverse as other cities.....But Go to Philly - Philly blacks think Philly is Racist, Go Boston, Boston Blacks same thing, NYC same thing, DC same thing..

Hell ATL is suppose to be the Black Capitol, every black person in the NE wants to relocate to ATL for some reason, Pop on over to the ATL board and you have 20 threads about ATL racism.....

So there you have it.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:56 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
7 pages on a rambling post - which is one of the first posts of the member.

I think it's best to stay clear of topics meant to get people all fired up, when someone creates an account to post something so controversial....

Old 10-09-2008, 11:04 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,428 times
Agreed! Can we bury this thread already

Old 10-09-2008, 02:54 PM

16 posts, read 33,347 times
As an ex-foreign student (Algerian) who graduated from the university of Pittsburgh in 1980, I would like to witness about racist behavior of some Pittsburghers.
You sure remember the Americans held hostage by Iran in 1979.
It happened that while I was walking on the street somewhere downtown Pittsburgh, two young men came toward me and one of them hit me in the stomach brutally saying:” I kill you, you f**** Iranian!!!” Thanks God, a policeman was just around and I was saved.
They took me for an Iranian so I was good to be punished for what Imam Khomeini did to American hostages.
It happened also that lately, Algerian government was the one that negotiated with Iranian officials the freedom of the American hostages in 1981.
Racism is the ugliest human behavior. Let’s hope it will be eradicated from our beloved planet.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:04 PM

42 posts, read 114,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youcef View Post
As an ex-foreign student (Algerian) who graduated from the university of Pittsburgh in 1980, I would like to witness about racist behavior of some Pittsburghers.
You sure remember the Americans held hostage by Iran in 1979.
It happened that while I was walking on the street somewhere downtown Pittsburgh, two young men came toward me and one of them hit me in the stomach brutally saying:” I kill you, you f**** Iranian!!!” Thanks God, a policeman was just around and I was saved.
They took me for an Iranian so I was good to be punished for what Imam Khomeini did to American hostages.
It happened also that lately, Algerian government was the one that negotiated with Iranian officials the freedom of the American hostages in 1981.
Racism is the ugliest human behavior. Let’s hope it will be eradicated from our beloved planet.
Meh, people get randomly punched all the time in Pittsburgh, regardless of color. Especially after 1:00 AM on the South Side.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:24 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
I think it's time to close this thread.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh