Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 09:53 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
No, I reserve the trash moniker for those that are on the fence about the lives of others because of economic impact.

but see, thats MY point. people talk off the cuff. they say things that might be insensitive. they say things that ARE insensitive. sometimes they talk without thinking. at times, their context is manipulated.....

we are all imperfect. you calling HER "trash" tells me you are probably a hypocrite, with double standards, and all that.

shes "trash", meanwhile there is someone released from the jail because of the virus - someone who probably made a career of harming others or doing wrong to others....oh, but they are just a victim of [pick one - capitalist oppression, unjust police action, racism, blah blah blah]

but the skinny lady who talks on teh radio for a living where ANYONE is bound to say something offensive at one time or another? she is "trash". if you had ever heard her show - she's earned a get out of jail free card. she has exhibited goodness, altruism, common good-proponent.....

Old 04-09-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
She stated 1% as part of a run of numbers. It is to start a discussion of what is the threshold. I will try and explain it as brief as I can incase you start glazing over.

Are 10,000 people, mostly older or in poor health out of 330,000,000 worth going into a deep recession? 50,000? A million? 1%? A run.

I don't think it will make a difference if you watch the video I posted. It is like a few minutes long and you probably wouldn't listen to what she says, you would just wait for one sentence and focus on it out of context. Oops, sorry this went too long.

i never have increased a thread's length with one of those comments that just praises another's....

but....B I N G O!

Old 04-09-2020, 09:55 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
"human piece of trash"....really?

i dont like her show, actually, but from what i have heard, i wouldnt call her a piece of trash. she loves her family, she DISCUSSES with opposing callers, and does not crucify them.....

dont be stupid. you may not like what she said, but dont be an animal about it.
I haven't followed her closely but it appears she is just discussing both sides of the issue here. Obviously we do have to find some number of lost lives that is acceptable but most media outlets won't discuss that. We could probably save many of the 35,000 lives lost every winter to flu if we socially distanced every winter, but we as a society have implicitly decided that that is too small a number of saved lives to justify social distancing. So 35,000 is too small, but is 100,000 too small? 800,000? 3,000,000?
The alternative to having this discussion is to just let Trump, Pence, and state governors make that decision with no input from the public.

I don't think nitpicking every sentence she stated is worthwhile. As a teacher, I am now recording myself lecturing and then posting my lectures. It is incredibly easy when you speak for a living to have a sentence that will later come across poorly. (No one has said anything to me but I am a harsh critic when I review my classes.) Most people are used to everything they say being lost after they say it.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:56 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Why do we not also shut down the entire country every flu season?
Apparently this amount of death is okay, or we would be on lockdown during flu season. Guess we can use this as a benchmark of death allowed?

Flu deaths:
2014-2015`51,000
2015-2016 23,000
2016-2017 38,000

VS. Coronavirus
2020 15,000 and counting.

See, now that wasn't hard. We do put the economy over death or we would shut things down during flu season. Oh my. ha, ha, ha.

Yep, good old Wendy Bell. She did exactly what she should do. Get people to understand our threshold for death. We have one. The numbers are proof of it. Can't argue with good old numbers. Well done Ms. Bell!

Old 04-09-2020, 09:58 AM

ah, of course. i figured it out.

Wendy Bell

conservative
STRIKE 1
white
DAMN, GIRL! STRIKE 2
catholic, and has stated her religiosity (ouch, cant have that - how offensive)
STRIKE 3

meanwhile somewhere in Minnesota, a tiny, seemingly sweet women of eastern descent, donning a headscarf, continues to utter inflammatory, degrading statements as a public figure....and her career survives.

how you doing, Jimmy the Greek?

Old 04-09-2020, 10:04 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
I haven't followed her closely but it appears she is just discussing both sides of the issue here. Obviously we do have to find some number of lost lives that is acceptable but most media outlets won't discuss that. We could probably save many of the 35,000 lives lost every winter to flu if we socially distanced every winter, but we as a society have implicitly decided that that is too small a number of saved lives to justify social distancing. So 35,000 is too small, but is 100,000 too small? 800,000? 3,000,000?
The alternative to having this discussion is to just let Trump, Pence, and state governors make that decision with no input from the public.

I don't think nitpicking every sentence she stated is worthwhile. As a teacher, I am now recording myself lecturing and then posting my lectures. It is incredibly easy when you speak for a living to have a sentence that will later come across poorly. (No one has said anything to me but I am a harsh critic when I review my classes.) Most people are used to everything they say being lost after they say it.
Best thing I've read in a long time. If people are not willing to talk through things then yes someone else will end up making the decision.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:11 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Quote:
Apparently this amount of death is okay, or we would be on lockdown during flu season. Guess we can use this as a benchmark of death allowed?

Flu deaths:
2014-2015`51,000
2015-2016 23,000
2016-2017 38,000

VS. Coronavirus

See, now that wasn't hard. We do put the economy over death or we would shut things down during flu season. Oh my. ha, ha, ha.

Yep, good old Wendy Bell. She did exactly what she should do. Get people to understand our threshold for death. We have one. The numbers are proof of it. Can't argue with good old numbers. Well done Ms. Bell!

Before someone else jumps on that, yes COVID is only at 15k deaths but part of that is the measure we took. Who knows what things would have looked like if we did not. I personally don't think the measures were needed to these extremes but I also know there are so many idiots out there that may have never made changes w/out them. I think were other options but I can't say for sure better. End of the day it does not matter, we can't go back. We do need to have these discussions though because their will be an acceptable level of deaths going forward that allow life to restart. People can either participate in the discussions of when that is or just live with the results others decided.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:18 AM

684 posts, read 419,219 times
Quote:

Flu deaths:
2014-2015`51,000
2015-2016 23,000
2016-2017 38,000

VS. Coronavirus

There's vaccines for the flu, there is no vaccine for COVID19
The deaths are down because of extreme social distancing measures.

Also, you keep asking for a discussion, but somehow avoided replying to this one. Maybe you didn't see it?

Here it is again

Let's play your scenario out, since you're concerned about "having a discussion"

Why not put an age limit on people? Maybe once they reach 70, we should just execute them. I mean, the drain on the economy with SS and healthcare is too much, so let's just say once you're 70, that's it, you had a good life, but make room for the rest of us.

While we're at it, let's make a list of ailments....once you're afflicted with anything on the list, you get the electric chair as well. You're costing the nation too much.

Also, how about some genetic testing of fetuses? If the potential baby has any of the ailments in the list, no need to even have the birth...just terminate the pregnancy right there!

Think of how amazing the economy will be if we just get off the fence and do what's right!! You've really turned me around on this, thank you!

Old 04-09-2020, 10:21 AM

684 posts, read 419,219 times
Quote:
but see, thats MY point. people talk off the cuff. they say things that might be insensitive. they say things that ARE insensitive. sometimes they talk without thinking. at times, their context is manipulated.....

we are all imperfect. you calling HER "trash" tells me you are probably a hypocrite, with double standards, and all that.

shes "trash", meanwhile there is someone released from the jail because of the virus - someone who probably made a career of harming others or doing wrong to others....oh, but they are just a victim of [pick one - capitalist oppression, unjust police action, racism, blah blah blah]

but the skinny lady who talks on teh radio for a living where ANYONE is bound to say something offensive at one time or another? she is "trash". if you had ever heard her show - she's earned a get out of jail free card. she has exhibited goodness, altruism, common good-proponent.....
I don't know why her being skinny has anything to do with it, but ok sure.
Also, you can put the strawman inmate back in the box.

You're entitled to your opinion that she's the second coming.

Just like I'm entitled to mine that she's human trash.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:22 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
ah, of course. i figured it out.

Wendy Bell

conservative
STRIKE 1
white
DAMN, GIRL! STRIKE 2
catholic, and has stated her religiosity (ouch, cant have that - how offensive)
STRIKE 3

meanwhile somewhere in Minnesota, a tiny, seemingly sweet women of eastern descent, donning a headscarf, continues to utter inflammatory, degrading statements as a public figure....and her career survives.

how you doing, Jimmy the Greek?
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to szug-bot again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh