Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 01:49 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
Just so we're all clear, you're the one that stated:

Why did you feel the need to qualify it? I'm just running your argument out to it's natural conclusion. I understand that you don't like that, and I'm sorry about that.

But you've made up your mind, so good for you. I still hope that your parents aren't one of the "mostly older or in poor health" people that have to die for the sake of the economy, because they matter to me more than they do to you.
I stated what Wendy Bell stated. Maybe not word for word, but she wanted to know what our tolerance would be as a question to her listeners. I have to be honest, I would like to hear the responses. I suppose I could find the show in its entirety.

When did I state I made my mind up about this topic? Again, I feel some just don't really read what people write or listen to entire topics at all because they are so focused on their own hate filled agenda they just forgot to listen/read. Just because I am open to discussion about tolerance of death like we do with the flu, doesn't mean I agree with letting people die at any level. Slowing the virus down is the best option at this time and a tolerance will most likely be developed later when we start controlling this more. I would say we are doing the right thing by closing most everything down, social distancing and probably wearing a mask when around others. That would be my opinion at this time.

It is just so odd how people feel I posted some opinion on this matter because I am open to discussion. My generation always debated and discussed to really learn things and we didn't take things so personally. I have such a hard time talking to younger people because they can't discuss differences in opinion without name calling.

My advice is to stay inside and stay safe for all to be well. That is my opinion.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:16 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Chronic economic conditions can lead to negative chronic health outcomes. This linkage is known as the 'Social Determinants of Health'.

It is very valid, from a public health perspective, to question how much chronic economic (and therefore health) damage will be inflicted because of our response to an acute issue.
Now you are going deeper in the subject and it is super valid, but do we really want to try and get people to understand economy/health/reality here? There could be a point we will go back to business regardless of a death rate. It might happen at some point, but I don't think it will get there with this virus. I think we will win out for the most part, but there are going to be deaths for sure. Already is. We can't be idle forever or there could be a lot of issues and we could become violent in the end. There is a reason gun sales are super high right now. I don't think this virus will takes us there however. This thing is going to run its course no matter what we do, but slowing it and flattening the spike down is smart.

Stay inside for now. People's mind may change at some point and we DO need to listen. Why? We don't want riots and other issues or it could be VERY bad. The US isn't China or South Korea. VERY DIFFERENT.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:40 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,311,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I stated what Wendy Bell stated. Maybe not word for word, but she wanted to know what our tolerance would be as a question to her listeners. I have to be honest, I would like to hear the responses. I suppose I could find the show in its entirety.

When did I state I made my mind up about this topic? Again, I feel some just don't really read what people write or listen to entire topics at all because they are so focused on their own hate filled agenda they just forgot to listen/read. Just because I am open to discussion about tolerance of death like we do with the flu, doesn't mean I agree with letting people die at any level. Slowing the virus down is the best option at this time and a tolerance will most likely be developed later when we start controlling this more. I would say we are doing the right thing by closing most everything down, social distancing and probably wearing a mask when around others. That would be my opinion at this time.

It is just so odd how people feel I posted some opinion on this matter because I am open to discussion. My generation always debated and discussed to really learn things and we didn't take things so personally. I have such a hard time talking to younger people because they can't discuss differences in opinion without name calling.

My advice is to stay inside and stay safe for all to be well. That is my opinion.
Exactly. I too think that all this social distancing probably is necessary. But I won't vilify someone for respectfully discussing both sides of the issue.

The only reason to try to silence this discussion is if you believe people can't be trusted with hearing all sides on the topic. You could argue that we need our elected officials to basically be our parents and make decisions for us. There might actually be a plausible argument along those lines. I'd open to listening to it, but we should be honest that that's the implied argument of people trying to shut down discussion.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:43 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Exactly. I too think that all this social distancing probably is necessary. But I won't vilify someone for respectfully discussing both sides of the issue.

The only reason to try to silence this discussion is if you believe people can't be trusted with hearing all sides on the topic. You could argue that we need our elected officials to basically be our parents and make decisions for us. There might actually be a plausible argument along those lines. I'd open to listening to it, but we should be honest that that's the implied argument of people trying to shut down discussion.
I will not respectfully discuss callously endangering tens and possibly hundreds of thousands of lives. It’s not a reasonable line of discourse and there is no virtue in treating it as such.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I will not respectfully discuss callously endangering tens and possibly hundreds of thousands of lives. It’s not a reasonable line of discourse and there is no virtue in treating it as such.
Tens of thousands? We "callously endanger" that many by not social distancing during flu season.
Virtually every rewarding activity in life requires some degree of risk to human life. You drive to the gym, to a vacation spot, etc.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:57 PM
gg

Quote:
We can tell you didn't read the thread. We do allow a death rate. The flu is the easiest example.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:15 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Maybe it's your approach.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:17 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
If everyone lived this way everyday after the virus, 10’s and possibly 100’s of thousands of lives could certainly be saved just in flu numbers.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
If everyone lived this way everyday after the virus, 10’s and possibly 100’s of thousands of lives could certainly be saved just in flu numbers.
I'm guessing most of those lives could actually probably be saved if we did this just for about 8 weeks a year (Jan and Feb)...

Old 04-09-2020, 03:28 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Maybe it's your approach.
I am open for advice on my approach. I can't tell you how many times I can't finish a discussion with younger people because they get sidetracked or don't want to think about other thoughts or ideas. I don't think people realize how dangerous intolerance is in the long run. It is very clear to me how dangerous it is. Just seems so lazy to me and I really have to wonder if younger people have some sort of defect as they can't seem to debate very well. Maybe just a byproduct of the Internet as all kinds of people can find others like them and they can bury themselves within some group. I would say the mass shootings are a byproduct of the Internet as those crazies can find like minds and they can justify themselves because they found other crazy people. Kind of obvious really.

Do help if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh