Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:14 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,561,309 times

Advertisements

I saw an ad in the pennysaver for a place in crafton called crafton heights, it sounds like it might be a bad place but I wanted to know if anyone could tell me if it is worth visiting or not. I have been in crafton before but I'm not that knowledgeable on the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 09:29 AM

125 posts, read 397,330 times
I grew up in Crafton Heights, but we moved when I was in grade school... I think it might have been because my family sensed the area was going to be getting bad. However, I have friends that still live there and it's not that bad. All of the neighbors were GREAT and it was like a real community. All my old neighbors are still there, and they are like normal families who haven't felt the need to move just yet. I think it's worth taking a look at least, but that's just me.
Good luck!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles1821 View Post
I grew up in Crafton Heights, but we moved when I was in grade school... I think it might have been because my family sensed the area was going to be getting bad. However, I have friends that still live there and it's not that bad. All of the neighbors were GREAT and it was like a real community. All my old neighbors are still there, and they are like normal families who haven't felt the need to move just yet. I think it's worth taking a look at least, but that's just me.
Good luck!

Thanks for the advise. Is it a big complex of houses or small?

Old 04-25-2008, 09:44 AM

I would say it's a relatively small area, but I guess it depends where peoeple define the border between Crafton/Crafton Heights and Crafton Heights/Westwood. I would say it's a smaller neighborhood though. This is the main area that I would define as being Crafton Heights:
EDIT: Google map is not working for me. If you go on there and search Pittsburgh and then Stratmore St., I would say Crafton Heights is the area between Steuben and Noblestown.

Do you know what street the potential house is on?

Old 04-25-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles1821 View Post
I would say it's a relatively small area, but I guess it depends where peoeple define the border between Crafton/Crafton Heights and Crafton Heights/Westwood. I would say it's a smaller neighborhood though. This is the main area that I would define as being Crafton Heights:
EDIT: Google map is not working for me. If you go on there and search Pittsburgh and then Stratmore St., I would say Crafton Heights is the area between Steuben and Noblestown.

Do you know what street the potential house is on?

I don't have an exact address but they said stuben and woodlow I belive.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:44 AM

Okay I just looked that street up on the map. I would be a little more cautious in that part of the Heights. That's where you start to get into the Sheraden mix, which is worse than the Heights. I know a family that lives off of Steuben even closer to Sheraden, and their neighborhood is really cute and nice, though. So, I wouldn't rule it out completely, but I wouldn't endorse it either.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:44 PM

27 posts, read 143,437 times
Woodlow has a large housing complex (public housing I believe) and is definitely one of the worst areas within about a 5 mile radius of that location. Really the surrounding areas aren't that bad (not that great either but somewhat safe IMO), but back on Woodlow and Crucible is not somewhere I'd feel very safe at, especially at night. If I had to make a suggestion there are plenty of nice places to rent/buy in the Crafton area that are really about 5 minutes away. Also, try Carnegie. It's right next to Crafton so it's not far at all, the prices are definitely comparable to Crafton (maybe even lower), and it really is a much safer place actually. Just be sure you stay away from East Carnegie, which is technically still the City of Pittsburgh and has all kinds of problems. I say this because on the way to Carnegie from Crafton you have to pass by East Carnegie so just be aware that they are really quite different and I would not recommend East Carnegie at all. If you need more info just let me know I'm very familiar with the area you are talking about and the surrounding places.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 9,149 times
Default Please tell me about Crafton!

Hello, my husband and I are looking for an apartment/small home and found the Crafton area. There is a small home on Norwalk street that we are interested in, but want to make sure that that area in Crafton heights is nice first.

Thanks!!

Old 01-19-2010, 02:13 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,176,371 times
Sheraden is not as bad as the reputation it gets, at least the part of it that touches Crafton Heights. I like the look of the Crafton Heights area, at least the parts I can see along Middletown Rd. It reminds me of other older middle class neighborhoods such as Penn Hills and Castle Shannon.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:24 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,005,953 times
In case it hasnt been mentioned, Crafton Heights is in the city limits. Like trlstreet, i think it just looks like a decent place, based on simple observation. youre not overwhelmed, yet it doesnt 'look' foreboding. its just appears tidy quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh