Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 09:38 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times

Advertisements

RACE PERCENT OF STUDENTS
White 32%
Black 5%
Hispanic 8%
Asian 28%
American Indian / Alaskan 0%
Hawaiian / Pacific Islander 0%
Two or more races 4%
International 18%
Race Unknown 5%
Amish 23%
Yinzer 7%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 09:56 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
RACE PERCENT OF STUDENTS
White 32%
Black 5%
Hispanic 8%
Asian 28%
Two or more races 4%
International 18%
Race Unknown 5%
Amish 23%
Yinzer 7%
Lol, great post as usual.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:05 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,128,757 times
Quote:
RACE PERCENT OF STUDENTS
White 32%
Black 5%
Hispanic 8%
Asian 28%
Two or more races 4%
International 18%
Race Unknown 5%
Amish 23%
Yinzer 7%

lol 23% amish?

Old 04-29-2020, 05:17 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,682,991 times
Quote:
RACE PERCENT OF STUDENTS
White 32%
Black 5%
Hispanic 8%
Asian 28%
Two or more races 4%
International 18%
Race Unknown 5%
Amish 23%
Yinzer 7%

Lol that is an unsustainable model. We will see if they can pull it off. I still think that place is more of a luxury than a necessity for 77k a year.

I’d rather see things reopen now 100 percent. I was merely pointing out the longer this fear mongering goes on it is going to destroy a lot of good things that people take for granted. CMU is pretty much the reason pittsburgh is still on anybody’s radar. Lose that and you don’t have much else to fall back on. It won’t be the same as before.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:31 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Odd I cant find any details on that 43% number outside the article. Not saying it is not correct but just odd it is no where else. I cant even find overall international # period. Either way I'm sure every college will be making cuts and some more than others but I seriously doubt CMU is going anywhere. They will continue and if anything might fair better than many since they have a very high income potential donor pool.
I think I know. The article, which in all other ways focused on undergrad (size of enrollment, tuition cost, etc.) yanked that 40% seemingly from nowhere, and I’m guessing that’s combined undergrad/grad enrollment. It’s either sloppy reporting or dishonest, yes.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:09 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,682,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I think I know. The article, which in all other ways focused on undergrad (size of enrollment, tuition cost, etc.) yanked that 40% seemingly from nowhere, and I’m guessing that’s combined undergrad/grad enrollment. It’s either sloppy reporting or dishonest, yes.
It’s actually pretty accurate if you look at the stats on the CMU enrollment site and they are dated stats from 2018.

Is it a sustainable model to charge 77K a year for tuition with an international student body of over 40%? Methinks in the middle of an international pandemic “mostly panic” with 26 million unemployed and international travel restrictions that will be hard to maintain. CMU will go on to exist but it probably will be much different than as we have always known it. Endowments will probably be the savior of many places, including CMU.

I’d rather see things open 100 percent and everybody make money and profit. On the other hand if it goes on it will slim down higher education. I’m willing to bet CMU added many more administrators and no show positions than those that actually teach classes in the most recent years and past decades. That’s how it’s been across the board for many places and that’s why tuition is out of sight.

Old 04-29-2020, 02:17 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post

I’d rather see things open 100 percent and everybody make money and profit. On the other hand if it goes on it will slim down higher education. I’m willing to bet CMU added many more administrators and no show positions than those that actually teach classes in the most recent years and past decades. That’s how it’s been across the board for many places and that’s why tuition is out of sight.
What is your relationship to higher education, because you seem to not know anything about the finances or operations of a university? Are you aware that teaching faculty is probably only 25-35% of a university's total employees? How would you propose opening a university 100% and still protect the students and staff in classes and dorms and dining halls? Why should we think that some guy on the internet is more qualified to make these decisions than public health experts and doctors and economists?

Old 04-29-2020, 02:36 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What is your relationship to higher education, because you seem to not know anything about the finances or operations of a university? Are you aware that teaching faculty is probably only 25-35% of a university's total employees? How would you propose opening a university 100% and still protect the students and staff in classes and dorms and dining halls? Why should we think that some guy on the internet is more qualified to make these decisions than public health experts and doctors and economists?
What’s the recovery rate of the virus per the experts?

How many essential workers are getting the virus?

Are you suggesting letting the economy to wither to nothing until every case is gone?

Old 04-29-2020, 02:44 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,128,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
What’s the recovery rate of the virus per the experts?

How many essential workers are getting the virus?

Are you suggesting letting the economy to wither to nothing until every case is gone?

My daughter has been working at Target since mid March when classes went online. At her target not one person has had an issue and they have been busier than pre COVID.

Old 04-29-2020, 02:46 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,067 times
While I am looking forward to re-opening, I feel that colleges in particular provide a tricky situation. As we have seen with prisons, nursing homes, and ships, the virus spreads very easily in close quarters.

One must consider dorms, in which students are generally crammed in fairly tight. In addition, to close living quarters, many older dorms have communal bathrooms (the virus is shed in fecal matter, so with every flush, the air in the bathroom becomes contaminated).

One must consider students eating in dining halls. It is essentially the same thing as eating every meal out at a restaurant. If eating at sit-down restaurants is considered a high-risk activity, students would be expected to do so three times a day.

One must consider that students are far from home. If there is an outbreak, and students begin to be hospitalized in large numbers, that puts a unique strain on the school, as they are responsible for the students' well being in the absence of the parents.

Even if hospitalizations are minimal, you would need to have a plan in place to quarantine sick students on campus and provide them with medical care.

The schools are also acutely aware of the fact that no matter how much they plan, they could resume classes in the Fall only to have to cancel everything and send everyone home all over again.

I am not saying that it shouldn't or can't be done, but it is a very complex situation. If I were a high school senior, I would be planning to take a gap year next year. If I were a college student, I would be planning to take a year off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh