Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 12:28 PM

684 posts, read 414,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Any proof to them being Nazi’s?

The protest started at noon and about 20 minutes in, a group of armed civilians joined the protest. The 10 or so armed civilians identified as the Iron City Citizens Response Unit, and most of them wore patches with the group’s insignia. Part of that insignia includes a symbol of three interlocking triangles called the Valknot, or Valknut. Some members of the Iron City Citizens Response Unit also wore separate patches that had larger versions of the Valknot.

According to the Anti-Defamation League, the Valknot is an old Norse symbol that often represented the afterlife and the Norse god Odin. The ADL notes it has gained popularity as of late with some white nationalist and white supremacist groups.

“Some white supremacists, particularly racist Odinists, have appropriated the Valknot to use as a racist symbol,” reads the ADL’s website. “Often they use it as a sign that they are willing to give their life to Odin, generally in battle.”

When asked about the Valknot and whether the group’s usage was tied to white nationalism, a member of the Iron City Citizens Response Unit, who refused to be identified, shouted “do your research” and then shouted “communist.”

When pressed for an explanation about the symbol, the same member said, “You are the enemy of America. Leave!”

Hate group experts say that white nationalist and white supremacy groups have a track record of introducing new and relatively unknown symbols as a way to rebrand, but still maintain their racist goals. “It’s a classic rebranding effort,” said Keegan Hankes of the Southern Poverty Law Center to Louisiana Weekly in 2018. “They have a noxious belief system, so they have to package it so they don’t totally turn off potential recruits.”

The Valknot was among several lesser known symbols that were used by white nationalists who attended the “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Va., in 2017. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, two “Neo-Völkisch” groups have chapters in Pennsylvania: the Wolves of Vinland and Wotan’s Nation. According to SPLC, “Neo-Völkisch” groups sometimes identify their spiritualism as Odinism and will sometimes adopt paganism. But some “Neo-Völkisch” groups are explicitly accepting white supremacy as part of their movement.

Daniel Burnside, a white supremacist Odinist from Potter County, told the news site Reveal in 2017 that some use Odisim as a way to further white supremacy.

“Turning the other cheek and it’s all going to be OK, that isn’t the answer a lot of people who are turning to Odinism are looking for,” said Burnside in 2017. “They’re looking for the idea of, do you want to be the nail, or do you want to be the hammer?”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 12:32 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times
Interesting.

So do you have proof that everyone armed at the protest share these feelings?

Old 04-21-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Interesting.

So do you have proof that everyone armed at the protest share these feelings?
Nope, not all. There could have been one that wasn't.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
Nope, not all. There could have been one that wasn't.
Too bad you hid behind a keyboard rather than confronting them with all your assumptions.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:31 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,008,150 times
Quote:
The protest started at noon and about 20 minutes in, a group of armed civilians joined the protest. The 10 or so armed civilians identified as the Iron City Citizens Response Unit, and most of them wore patches with the group’s insignia. Part of that insignia includes a symbol of three interlocking triangles called the Valknot, or Valknut. Some members of the Iron City Citizens Response Unit also wore separate patches that had larger versions of the Valknot.

According to the Anti-Defamation League, the Valknot is an old Norse symbol that often represented the afterlife and the Norse god Odin. The ADL notes it has gained popularity as of late with some white nationalist and white supremacist groups.

“Some white supremacists, particularly racist Odinists, have appropriated the Valknot to use as a racist symbol,” reads the ADL’s website. “Often they use it as a sign that they are willing to give their life to Odin, generally in battle.”

When asked about the Valknot and whether the group’s usage was tied to white nationalism, a member of the Iron City Citizens Response Unit, who refused to be identified, shouted “do your research” and then shouted “communist.”

When pressed for an explanation about the symbol, the same member said, “You are the enemy of America. Leave!”

Hate group experts say that white nationalist and white supremacy groups have a track record of introducing new and relatively unknown symbols as a way to rebrand, but still maintain their racist goals. “It’s a classic rebranding effort,” said Keegan Hankes of the Southern Poverty Law Center to Louisiana Weekly in 2018. “They have a noxious belief system, so they have to package it so they don’t totally turn off potential recruits.”

The Valknot was among several lesser known symbols that were used by white nationalists who attended the “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Va., in 2017. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, two “Neo-Völkisch” groups have chapters in Pennsylvania: the Wolves of Vinland and Wotan’s Nation. According to SPLC, “Neo-Völkisch” groups sometimes identify their spiritualism as Odinism and will sometimes adopt paganism. But some “Neo-Völkisch” groups are explicitly accepting white supremacy as part of their movement.

Daniel Burnside, a white supremacist Odinist from Potter County, told the news site Reveal in 2017 that some use Odisim as a way to further white supremacy.

“Turning the other cheek and it’s all going to be OK, that isn’t the answer a lot of people who are turning to Odinism are looking for,” said Burnside in 2017. “They’re looking for the idea of, do you want to be the nail, or do you want to be the hammer?”

Well, no proof to them being nazis yet.....it all sounds honorable, doesnt it? Discover and weed out potential nazis...

One should be careful not to become exactly the freedom crushing forces they are looking out for.
And, be careful not to end up looking ridiculous, too:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/hand-gestu...ry?id=67859057

David Muir of ABC news, and I saw this when it aired, actually said "and see here how one cadet flashes a racist sign, right behind an african-american cadet".

Because someone worships Odin and identifies with their nordic ancestry, THAT is covert nazism? (I'm not scandinavian, but I have always loved the Minnesota Vikings.)

With all due respect to the anti-defamation league, ANYTHING is then racist. I could name 10 institutions, practices, holidays, whatever that could be racist - and none are, by my definition. But with the same standards in THIS article, they are.

I know *I'M* not crazy.

Last edited by szug-bot; 04-21-2020 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 04-21-2020, 01:33 PM

^^^^^
Bingo

Old 04-21-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Too bad you hid behind a keyboard rather than confronting them with all your assumptions.
Right, too bad. Not surprising at all that you're defending them.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Well, no proof to them being nazis yet.....it all sounds honorable, doesnt it? Weed out potential nazis...

One should be careful not to become exactly what they are trying to (and hopefully, for their sake) look for.
And, be careful not to end up looking ridiculous, too:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/hand-gestu...ry?id=67859057

David Muir of ABC news, and I saw this when it aired, actually said "and see here how one cadet flashes a racist sign, right behind an african-american cadet".

Because someone worships Odin and identifies with their nordic ancestry, THAT is covert nazism?

Come the **** on.

With all due respect to the anti-defamation league, ANYTHING is then racist. I could name 10 instituations, practices, holidays, whatever that could be racist - and none are, by my definition. But with the same standards in this article, they are.

I know *I'M* not crazy.
Just don't hurt yourself contorting for that justification.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:40 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,008,150 times
Quote:
Just don't hurt yourself contorting for that justification.
and there you go...resort to insults when there is no civil argument in hand.

Prn, you are better than that. Seriously, you aren't the jabbing, petty poster type. Think about it, though - the media gets to 'nazis' because of symbols of unity those people had.

Look, I am not FOR their cause, thinking it wiser to remain cautious and open things up quickly yet gradually, rather than a free for all! I just get irritated with constant patterns of villainy of white people when they amass, or unify in their commonality. (I check 'other' when asked race.)

Old 04-21-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Right, too bad. Not surprising at all that you're defending them.
Where am I defending them?

You’ve called the protesters names, made assumptions about their genitals, being Nazi’s, etc..., want to take everyone’s guns, yet you have no proof, just your feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh