Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 06:32 AM

38 posts, read 32,384 times

Advertisements

Hello..

Can someone tell me the best areas of Pittsburgh to live. I am going to come there as soon as safe to travel
and am interested in researching family history and genealogy. I may be interested in purchasing an investment property.
Best areas; not meaning wealthiest, but nice middle class homes, nice parks, walk ways, low crime (haha), near to restaurants and other immensities.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 11:13 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
Very much depends on what you are looking to spend. Hard to say Best area, what are you looking for in an investment property? Multifamily rentals, buy and flip, single family rentals, college rentals, etc. I think investment properties are on area COVID might have thrown some uncertainty depending on what type of rentals you are looking at. People will need housing, maybe even a stronger demand to rent vs buy after this but still early to say.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Very much depends on what you are looking to spend. Hard to say Best area, what are you looking for in an investment property? Multifamily rentals, buy and flip, single family rentals, college rentals, etc. I think investment properties are on area COVID might have thrown some uncertainty depending on what type of rentals you are looking at. People will need housing, maybe even a stronger demand to rent vs buy after this but still early to say.
Really not sure....I live in Portland Me. NOT a buy and flip, definitely not.....a buy and hold as rental income.
I am just looking for good neighborhoods....I will do some research.
I know that Pittsburgh has been cleaned up a lot from what it used to be...so I am told. I am just not familiar...but both sides of my family originated there....

Nothing is better than actually taking a trip there...which I hope to do this summer.....yes I know about the uncertainty....and we are all sick of it.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:19 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Honestly, I'd rather not suggest areas to someone who's not even planning on living in the region. The last thing some neighborhoods need are more absentee landlords who don't really care about improving the area.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Honestly, I'd rather not suggest areas to someone who's not even planning on living in the region. The last thing some neighborhoods need are more absentee landlords who don't really care about improving the area.
WOW...aren't you judgmental...you have NO idea where I'm coming from and whether I would be interested in living there....so save your comments!!! YOU know nothing about me or where I have been or experienced!!!

MY DAD grew up in McKeesport and his mother's side from Braddock....Polish immigrants....I have followed these two cities and what has happened to them...so I do care!

Old 04-25-2020, 12:38 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Geez

Old 04-25-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Also...btw...I have not posted here for years, and posted under another username....seems people would always get nasty.....if you did not agree with them.
I will not allow this to happen again....not worth it.

I sold two houses in southern CA....our principal residence was sold to some investors...who rented it out.
I went back there last summer...and saw the condition that the home was in....due to renters and new owners NOT caring...
Will not say what I did....they obviously did not care for the house that my mom and dad had cared for as well as myself for many years.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:53 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen9999 View Post
WOW...aren't you judgmental...you have NO idea where I'm coming from and whether I would be interested in living there....so save your comments!!! YOU know nothing about me or where I have been or experienced!!!

MY DAD grew up in McKeesport and his mother's side from Braddock....Polish immigrants....I have followed these two cities and what has happened to them...so I do care!
Some people you can never please, I would definitely visit and take a look around. Everyone complains about not enough rentals here then complain when someone wants to buy something to rent. There are horrible landlords that live in the area (or even the same complex). If anything I would expect a distant to likely take better care and might even have a local company manage. I'd look at some of the top school district areas as those would likely be in line with what you are looking for.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:58 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,022 times
Like Knepper mentioned. There are lot of variables and without knowing the specifics of what you want and your expectations on both return on investment and the target demographic of tenant you are looking to attract, there isn't really an easy answer. Areas you mention being familiar such as Mckeesport or Braddock will look enticing from a cashflow standpoint, but those are areas I personally would not buy a rental property. I personally have 5 rentals in the city and focus on the young professional renter pool.

Student housing has been incredibly profitable the past 15 years or so in our area, however there is so much uncertainty in that market right now that I don't know if I would suggest going that route until the dust settles on the current situation.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
Like Knepper mentioned. There are lot of variables and without knowing the specifics of what you want and your expectations on both return on investment and the target demographic of tenant you are looking to attract, there isn't really an easy answer. Areas you mention being familiar such as Mckeesport or Braddock will look enticing from a cashflow standpoint, but those are areas I personally would not buy a rental property. I personally have 5 rentals in the city and focus on the young professional renter pool.

Student housing has been incredibly profitable the past 15 years or so in our area, however there is so much uncertainty in that market right now that I don't know if I would suggest going that route until the dust settles on the current situation.
I would never buy in those mentioned cities...I stated that my father was from one and GM the other....
Yes I agree about student housing....professionals...

I would not even think about it until I become a lot more familiar with city. I will not ask any more questions...till I visit. AND this COVID19 is over.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh