Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 08:59 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
For Pete's sake dudes - you guys complained that Wolf wasn't "opening up" SWPA. He decides to open up all of it but one county, and you're now upset about that?

I can understand why there would be a desire to make a "special exception" for Beaver County, considering as has been noted a single nursing home is basically ground zero for COVID-19 in the county, and it might be able to be covered with more localized controls. The problem is if you give a special exception to one county which did not meet the stated benchmarks, others will start to expect it as well, which then will lead to all sorts of lobbying and horse trading.

A week or two of difference - which is the most likely outcome - won't matter that much for Beaver County.
How many counties in PA have a similar circumstance to Beaver that they would be able to lobby and horsetrade?

I recall Allegheny County also having a spike in cases due to a nursing home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 05:33 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo indeed. 90% Dems loving that free stuff and hoping the economy tanks because that big meanie Trump.
I hate to break anyone`s little snot bubble here but the bulk of the "free stuff" goes to the GOP`s base.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...curity/516861/

Old 05-14-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I hate to break anyone`s little snot bubble here but the bulk of the "free stuff" goes to the GOP`s base.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...curity/516861/
Except I’m talking about staying home and collecting checks due to the virus, while the economy crashes, rather than get back to work. Good strawman example, however.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:34 AM

Lol

Old 05-14-2020, 04:06 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
For Pete's sake dudes - you guys complained that Wolf wasn't "opening up" SWPA. He decides to open up all of it but one county, and you're now upset about that?

I can understand why there would be a desire to make a "special exception" for Beaver County, considering as has been noted a single nursing home is basically ground zero for COVID-19 in the county, and it might be able to be covered with more localized controls. The problem is if you give a special exception to one county which did not meet the stated benchmarks, others will start to expect it as well, which then will lead to all sorts of lobbying and horse trading.

A week or two of difference - which is the most likely outcome - won't matter that much for Beaver County.
Well, everything else has been willy-nilly fly-by-night. The Governor is constantly moving the goalposts and obfuscating the people of this Commonwealth. Allegheny met the criteria and we weren't in the first round of openings - so obviously the 'thresholds' aren't set in stone. Beaver also borders Ohio - people are just going to go there to enjoy liberty and a re-opened economy.

Regarding the nursing home.. that was a facility thats under the oversight of PaDOH. They dropped the ball. PaDOH also mandated nursing homes admit COVID patients. We're now two months into this crisis, and I believe it was only last week that the Governor sent the National Guard in to help this facility.

Pennsylvania had a plan to help nursing homes, but it was never implemented for some reason: https://www.spotlightpa.org/news/202...-strike-teams/

And meanwhile the Secretary of Health moved their mother out of a care home and into a hotel..

The Wolf administration has demonstrated nothing but arrogance and incompetence throughout this entire situation. The administrations decisions exacerbated the problems with the nursing homes, then no help was given to them as the Wolf administration continued its fly-by-night approach, then the economy and liberty of an entire County continues to be suffocated under the heel of Tom Wolf as a result of a situation that the state government had a negligent role in helping to create. So of course Beaver County is going to give Harrisburg the middle finger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yes. The Kane Regional Nursing Center in Glen Hazel (city neighborhood) had a spike in cases, but it was nowhere near the "hundreds" of positive cases with approaching 100 deaths at Brighton Rehab in Beaver County.

I actually think there is another cluster at the Allegheny County Jail (ACJ). I work in a building that's connected to the jail, so we keep ourselves abreast of what's happening over there. >50% of the inmates that HAVE been tested have tested positive. Despite this the oversight board of the ACJ recently vetoed mass testing. My theory is that they know it would have shown a huge number of cases there, and then Allegheny County at-large would be in the same pickle as Beaver County with staying in the red phase because of ONE cluster.
More likely it would bring more attention to medical care within the jail, which has been a long-standing problem. There have already been two protests driving around the courthouse within the last few weeks demanding the release of more inmates from the jail due to covid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh