Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 03:35 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Penguins on Thursday announced that they are halting their years-long effort to redevelop the former Civic Arena site in the Lower Hill District, following an Urban Redevelopment Authority board decision to delay an approval vote by two weeks.
The move prompted the Penguins to announce their withdrawal from discussions.

“In a week where the Penguins had to furlough a majority of our employees and we are all suffering the worst health and economic crisis in our nation’s history, we are disappointed that the URA delayed a $200 million development project that alone would create 1,500 construction jobs, 2,000 permanent jobs, deliver the highest commitments to minority- and women-owned businesses in the city’s history, and generate $11 million in direct and immediate investment into the middle and upper Hill District,” wrote Penguins President and CEO David Morehouse, in response to a request for comment from PublicSource. “With constantly changing demands and delays, it makes delivery increasingly impossible. At this point, given the current economic conditions and the apparent lack of support from the URA, we are ceasing our development operations on the Lower Hill.”

https://www.publicsource.org/pittsbu...3tR_fv9kbuFgXQ
Well, sure makes that stupid park they're building over 579 seem like an even bigger waste of money.

But hey, at least this is local news that is non-covid-related!! Let's get back to fighting over something other than the pandemic response
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 03:43 PM

994 posts, read 501,917 times
Good. It was ridiculous that they were even involved.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:08 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Lmao. Gotta love the URA. What a clown show.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:09 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Good. It was ridiculous that they were even involved.
there was an agreement years ago that gave them and/or the Sports and Exhibition Authority development rights of the site. i don't know who actually OWNS the site - i think its the City, actually.

This is crazy. I am glad, though - i think instead of one big scale development, it should occur organically. as long as the potential is not stifled, by allowing fair market values and investment, it could succeed.

i know US Steel and wasnt it a large bank, too, that had plans and pulled out. at least there was interest. put in specific regs (height requirements and so forth) but allow people to design and build to suit, and it could work.

there should be no preference for women-owned business. are they not as smart as men? less competent? no, there are just FEWER of them, because fewer women pursue actual ownership of building/arch/engineer companies. that should not be allowed, is very unfair for male owned enterprises that work just as hard, and is unconstitutional, and sexist. so i guess that is one good thing.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
This is crazy. I am glad, though - i think instead of one big scale development, it should occur organically.
Yeah, the sports teams as big developers doesn't work. This was never going to end well and now they can focus on running a sports franchise.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the sports teams as big developers doesn't work. This was never going to end well and now they can focus on running a sports franchise.
Lol. Ron Burkle is more than just a sports owner. He’s made huge money in real estate development long before he was a sports owner. Mario is a millionaire. Burkle is a billionaire.

Can’t wait to see what happens next, though. I’m sure it’s going to be very interesting.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:04 PM

Well if he was involved, it's pretty embarrassing for him then, because it's been a decade long armature hour from the Pens organization.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Well if he was involved, it's pretty embarrassing for him then, because it's been a decade long armature hour from the Pens organization.
Nope, delays on both ends. Pens made many attempts in progress and the Hill continued to delay progress so the Pens simply said ok and waited. Then when progress was being made, the URA delays progress again. Truly hilarious group of clowns the Hill/URA are throughout the process. I can’t wait to see what happens Now and how long it takes for them to cooperate.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:40 PM

Yeah, interesting since they aren't the only sports team to end up wasting time in development.

Oh well. It's done and now better qualified people have an opportunity to be involved.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah, interesting since they aren't the only sports team to end up wasting time in development.

Oh well. It's done and now better qualified people have an opportunity to be involved.
Lol. You didn’t/don’t even know Burkle’s background. Who are these more qualified people and how long is it going to take to get things planned and started again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh