Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2020, 11:00 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Except you didn’t answer what infrastructure and institutions Pittsburgh has to be a wealthy metropolis, which is relevant if you’re going to claim it does. You deflected to Columbus, instead.
I didn't answer because it didn't seem like rational question to anyone who knows anything about Pittsburgh....do we need to list Pitt, CMU, the top in class mass transit system?

I feel a bit ridiculous explaining how a city that pretty much wrote the book on being a wealthy metropolis in America could someday be a wealthy metropolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 06:12 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
the top in class mass transit system

This is honestly funnier than something Dave Chappelle would say

Old 06-18-2020, 06:50 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post

This is honestly funnier than something Dave Chappelle would say
As has been repeatedly pointed out, out of major U.S. metros we have one of the highest transit utilizations in the core city. Only NYC, Boston, Philly, DC, Chicago, San Francisco, and Seattle outrank us. Baltimore is about the same. Transit utilization is significantly higher than in any of our rust-belt peer cities (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Buffalo, etc).

Old 06-18-2020, 07:31 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I didn't answer because it didn't seem like rational question to anyone who knows anything about Pittsburgh....do we need to list Pitt, CMU, the top in class mass transit system?

I feel a bit ridiculous explaining how a city that pretty much wrote the book on being a wealthy metropolis in America could someday be a wealthy metropolis.
You’re living deep in the past and hoping for the future.

If Pitt and CMU were going to make it a wealthy metropolis, it would’ve happened by now. They’ve been there awhile, lol.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:07 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As has been repeatedly pointed out, out of major U.S. metros we have one of the highest transit utilizations in the core city. Only NYC, Boston, Philly, DC, Chicago, San Francisco, and Seattle outrank us. Baltimore is about the same. Transit utilization is significantly higher than in any of our rust-belt peer cities (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Buffalo, etc).

That is great to hear!

Old 06-18-2020, 10:22 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:

If Pitt and CMU were going to make it a wealthy metropolis, it would’ve happened by now. They’ve been there awhile, lol.
what is a "wealthy" metropolis, though? annual revenue? per capita income?

universities are a measure of importance and prestige, which sure, must be some indication of wealth, but there is more to the discussion.

when i was at CMU, for my professors of which I knew their place of residence (bad syntax/grammar, sorry), NONE lived in the City limits. the students do not pay local wage tax, correct? So, those two things might counter the argument to some degree that the universities' presence is a measure of wealth.

im not sure these days, but in the 1990s, CT cities Hartford and Bridgeport were considered dangerous - I got that perspective straight from a friend who was from Waterbury. But CT was then (maybe still is) a 'rich' state, probably in terms of median income. So were Hartford and Bridgeport "wealthy"? Maybe so, but with an asterisk that says "although the suburban residents are of a much higher median income".

For the City, it might not seem it because of the housing stock, but come on, there ARE many people well off or 'rich' who reside here. They just dont choose to relocate to more exclusive areas, for whatever reason, and arent in the Squirrel Hill stratosphere level of home buying.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:50 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

universities are a measure of importance and prestige, which sure, must be some indication of wealth, but there is more to the discussion.

when i was at CMU, for my professors of which I knew their place of residence (bad syntax/grammar, sorry), NONE lived in the City limits. the students do not pay local wage tax, correct? So, those two things might counter the argument to some degree that the universities' presence is a measure of wealth.

im not sure these days, but in the 1990s, CT cities Hartford and Bridgeport were considered dangerous - I got that perspective straight from a friend who was from Waterbury. But CT was then (maybe still is) a 'rich' state, probably in terms of median income. So were Hartford and Bridgeport "wealthy"? Maybe so, but with an asterisk that says "although the suburban residents are of a much higher median income".

For the City, it might not seem it because of the housing stock, but come on, there ARE many people well off or 'rich' who reside here. They just dont choose to relocate to more exclusive areas, for whatever reason, and arent in the Squirrel Hill stratosphere level of home buying.
Pittsburgh is fairly unique when it comes to mid-sized rust-belt cities because of the large number of upper-middle class to wealthy people who live within city limits. Most cities don't have anything like Squirrel Hill/Point Breeze/Shadyside - a wide swath of urban(ish) area which is white, wealthy, family-friendly, and where many parents even send their kids to public schools. It's much more typical to have all of this type of person exclusively out in the suburbs.

The flipside of this is the decentralized "mill town" nature of the region means that poor boroughs and first-ring suburbs are scattered widely. Thus if you look at an income map of the region it's really kind of a patchwork, rather than a more typical "wealth doughnut." I actually think this is part of the reason why the East End stayed desirable - there were basically no desirable suburbs to the east of the city, with Penn Hills and Woodland Hills being considered to have undesirable schools, and Wilkinsburg experiencing white flight. Thus if you weren't ready to move all the way out to Murraysville and have a hell commute, you might as well just stay in the city.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:26 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

Never in my lifetime have I heard anyone say Pittsburgh “is” a wealthy metropolis. In the past that was likely said.

Unless something has changed in regards to wealth equaling money, I’d like to see where Pittsburgh is a wealthy metropolis and/or when one thinks it’s going to become one.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Yep Pittsburgh is Graceland. So why is the job growth stagnant and why aren’t people moving here in droves? Nobody thinks about this city unless you are from here or live here. I lived other places and the only time I heard Pittsburgh mentioned is during football season. We are nowhere near as relevant as we were decades ago. And we are a very distant second in our own state.
It's irrelevant.

In the game of "lets try and be the up and coming city that everyone's talking about", Pittsburgh has already beat all of the bosses and set all the high scores.

San Francisco and Seattle of today are a big "been there, done that" for Pittsburgh (except on an even larger scale for PGH). There isn't a need to re-achieve the same thing over again because the institutions, character, and structural density of 1950 Pittsburgh are all still in place, plus the magnificent additions and recognition that 1980's brought.

If someone leaves Pittsburgh to go live in a bland, pop-up megaburbia to have a bigger house with a yard I don't really see that as a strike against Pittsburgh, which is why population decline figures there are meaningless to me.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:

You can't place a dollar value on an asset like CMU. Its not Dallas or Chicago, but Pittsburgh's metro GDP qualifies it as wealthy. Its a big country and Pittsburgh is in the top 25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh