Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2020, 02:01 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times

Advertisements

Hard to remember my 20's, but most people that age want to go out, a lot. Altoona and Uniontown aren't exactly hot spots. Latrobe, maybe when a family comes along, but singles living where there is no action, don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 03:13 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Hard to remember my 20's, but most people that age want to go out, a lot. Altoona and Uniontown aren't exactly hot spots. Latrobe, maybe when a family comes along, but singles living where there is no action, don't think so.
Truer words were never spoken. Latrobe or Greensburg, maybe, you have more outdoor opportunities and are only an hour from the city, but much beyond that you can forget about it. People who claim otherwise about young urban professionals either were never young or don’t know any urban professionals.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:58 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
It looks a lot like there's one person behind four or five different accounts, posting the same exact ideas.
I assumed this a few years ago. The independent guy is not black and definitely not from Homewood 15208.

Old 08-07-2020, 04:17 PM

146 posts, read 133,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Yeah I said young, but didn't mean early 20s. I was thinking mid to late 20s when people get married and start a family. For Gen Z cost is everything and they won't be able to afford a home in the suburbs or the city.

Old 08-07-2020, 04:36 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan14 View Post
Yeah I said young, but didn't mean early 20s. I was thinking mid to late 20s when people get married and start a family. For Gen Z cost is everything and they won't be able to afford a home in the suburbs or the city.
Um, they make choices that lead to not being able to afford a home. They spend a ton on media.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:19 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan14 View Post
Many people had to stay in the city for employment reasons. Eventually, all the cons of city life just became too overwhelming. Corona was the last straw for some. The black lives matter race riots certainly didn't help things. And employers allowing more and more employees to work from home has made it feasible. Why live in the city when someone can live in Latrobe, work from home, and not have to deal with the city filth? The age of the city is over. Employees are slow to return to work after Corona. Many employers offer remote work options now and employees won't give that benefit up easily. Top employers will all offer remote work options in the near future. The biggest changes won't even be in the suburbs. It will be younger people moving from Lawrenceville to places like Uniontown, Indiana, Altoona, etc to buy their first homes while working for companies "based" in the city.
^^^ this.

The East End’s best days are behind it. The far left noise coupled with tensions boiling with police are making it undesirable. The COVID-19 has sped up the work from home. Commercial property is emptying out in this part of the city. Even the real estate folks point to downtown and east end as the Pittsburgh areas hit the hardest by this pandemic. Plenty of real estate and opportunity out in the suburbs and ex burbs . The back to city movement stopped a few years ago. Now it will just be more of a drain than a trickle out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I assumed this a few years ago. The independent guy is not black and definitely not from Homewood 15208.
I am. You never met me.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:40 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
^^^ this.

The East End’s best days are behind it. The far left noise coupled with tensions boiling with police are making it undesirable. The COVID-19 has sped up the work from home. Commercial property is emptying out in this part of the city. Even the real estate folks point to downtown and east end as the Pittsburgh areas hit the hardest by this pandemic. Plenty of real estate and opportunity out in the suburbs and ex burbs . The back to city movement stopped a few years ago. Now it will just be more of a drain than a trickle out.

I am. You never met me.

i used to always ask people to give examples of this widespread racism and how pgh is "designed against black men" (your words, almost verbatim). no one has ever done that, except to raise ire and say "youre dumb, you dont see thigns......."

and you didnt answer how the city is "designed" to be against you. this was the same post where i congratulated you for pulling yourself into, i assumed from your words, a comfortable lifestyle with a solid ethic and foundation of education. i said it was because you were determined, smart, and probably abstained from destructive choices (drugs, sloth, bad company....).

i have doubted you are african-american, too, actually. but its not because you dont fit my impression of one based on your words and opinions.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:55 PM

146 posts, read 133,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Um, they make choices that lead to not being able to afford a home. They spend a ton on media.
I think their biggest mistake is graduating from college, if they even managed to graduate, with $60k in debt and a worthless college degree that pays $35k-$38k, if they can find a job at all. Yes, they did make the choice to go to college but at 17 I feel they were preyed upon. One day we will wake up and see higher education for the sick scam that it is. For every top notch engineering program cmu has they have 20 more useless programs in music, history, psychology, sociology, gender/race studies that costs over 100k for 4 years, basically subsidizing their few elite programs that they get all the big press about. It's criminal.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:11 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
I am not saying college isnt overpriced especially at some bigger name schools but it does provide an opportunity like it or not. There is nothing I do in my career since I started that has anything to do with my degree but having that has allowed doors to be open. I do want to know how are people racking up $60k in college debt though? I guess people are taking private loans out because federal loans do not go that high. Now if you pick a major that has no real career outlook that is on you. Its just like anything in life you have options but you have to live with the consequences.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:34 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I am not saying college isnt overpriced especially at some bigger name schools but it does provide an opportunity like it or not. There is nothing I do in my career since I started that has anything to do with my degree but having that has allowed doors to be open. I do want to know how are people racking up $60k in college debt though? I guess people are taking private loans out because federal loans do not go that high. Now if you pick a major that has no real career outlook that is on you. Its just like anything in life you have options but you have to live with the consequences.
i think we will survive this - this is monumental debt, sure, but over time a balance will be re-established, as younger people enter the workforce with adequate training through vocational programs, technical colleges, or training in the trades.

this nation seems like its dying - no, its just changing right now. people are freaking out instead of reaching deep for patience and cooperation. but a lot are figuring it out - that college education is not the only path you can take.

just a few years back, well into my 30s, i really thought about going to a trade school to learn HVAC. probably better that I didn't....but at least in that profession you get to be mobile instead of having a personal love affair with a computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh