Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2020, 08:27 AM

6,360 posts, read 5,098,832 times

Advertisements

i dont understand any embarrassment about "Appalachia". As a native of Pittsburgher, who used to be very defensive about this town because of critical family members elsewhere (canada, cleveland, snooty europe, NYC), i have no qualms about 'appalachia'.

first, pgh was a jazz hotspot at one time and a very important industry and population center as the US was growing in the early to mid-20th century. More rural Appalachia is a continuation of the scottish/irish culture of centuries past - its even been discussed on this board that 'pittsburghese' (which is dying out) stems from the irish colloquialism of english.

besides that, as you get older, you realize people in the suburbs, then further out in the country also have lives of value, and life experiences of value. i grew up a city person, thinking "this is IT". sure, city life is great in many ways, but suburban/rural people can be happy, too.

i am not ashamed of "Appalachia". I dont think Pgh is THAT great anymore, but nowhere is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 08:30 AM

806 posts, read 263,236 times
Pittsburgh isn't Appalachia as understood by ethnologists and never was. Last I checked, Allegheny County had the highest percentage of Slovak-descended people of any county in the United States, for instance. I don't think the traditional definition of Appalachia involves much Eastern European or even German culture.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:43 AM

141 posts, read 142,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i dont understand any embarrassment about "Appalachia". As a native of Pittsburgher, who used to be very defensive about this town because of critical family members elsewhere (canada, cleveland, snooty europe, NYC), i have no qualms about 'appalachia'.

first, pgh was a jazz hotspot at one time and a very important industry and population center as the US was growing in the early to mid-20th century. More rural Appalachia is a continuation of the scottish/irish culture of centuries past - its even been discussed on this board that 'pittsburghese' (which is dying out) stems from the irish colloquialism of english.

besides that, as you get older, you realize people in the suburbs, then further out in the country also have lives of value, and life experiences of value. i grew up a city person, thinking "this is IT". sure, city life is great in many ways, but suburban/rural people can be happy, too.

i am not ashamed of "Appalachia". I dont think Pgh is THAT great anymore, but nowhere is.

Agreed. Appalachia is a stunningly beautiful region of the nation filled with hard working and friendly people. It has its own unique culture and traditions that don't exist anywhere else in the world. Not to mention a rich and interesting history. It's not Northern, Southern, Eastern, or Western, but something else entirely. I would think being called one of the top cities in such a vast region would be a point of pride but shockingly many Pittsburghers want to distance themselves entirely from the region despite being in the middle of it. Pittsburgh is unique because Appalachia is unique, and that's OK.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_lake View Post
shockingly many Pittsburghers want to distance themselves entirely from the region despite being in the middle of it. Pittsburgh is unique because Appalachia is unique, and that's OK.
A great number of Appalachians call themselves "Pittsburghers" but insult the city constantly and avoid it like the plague except for a Steelers game or Kenny Chesney concert once or twice a year. Only fair for us to return the favor.

The built environment and the people who populate it change drastically once you get ten miles out of town. Lots of confederate flags. Makes you think.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:19 AM

32,639 posts, read 77,947,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
A great number of Appalachians call themselves "Pittsburghers" but insult the city constantly and avoid it like the plague except for a Steelers game or Kenny Chesney concert once or twice a year. Only fair for us to return the favor.

The built environment and the people who populate it change drastically once you get ten miles out of town. Lots of confederate flags. Makes you think.
To quote my favorite regular poster "Bingo".

Old 07-10-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:

but that is a common thing in metro areas in a lot of places. friends from Philadelphia I had known over the years were from norristown, bucks county, mont.county - anywhere EXCEPT the city proper. they were aghast and disgusted when one of them moved to Center City following his divorce. He loved it for a few years, but has since departed Center City after paying for several smashed windshields and dealing with lunatics.

North Hillians are definitely like that here. I had to convince an older guy from a northern county (Clearfield?) that "no, the crime is not out on control", as he stated it was (some random conversation, maybe at a Pirates game a few years back). I don't blame him - he is no different than everyone else. He makes his narrative, his truth, from what he is exposed to, and for him, that is likely what he sees on the Pgh news.

"only fair for us to return the favor".

What? I don't go out far anymore and haven't in years, but at one time i used to love 3 day weekends at Kinzua or other rural places in western PA and western NY. the small towns in western NY especially, including Cooperstown. How can anyone JUST be a city guy? and / or JUST a suburban guy? there is life enrichment with exploring other places that we dont see every day.

Old 07-10-2020, 11:12 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,642,768 times
Quote:

And a lot of unmasked people as well.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:00 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,755,576 times
Quote:

That's not true at all. One would think that you see hundreds of Confederate flags. One here or there does not make "lots". Just not true. Come on.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
That's not true at all. One would think that you see hundreds of Confederate flags. One here or there does not make "lots". Just not true. Come on.

you noob....there are fields of stars and bars out there. the entire south hills is racist. peduto is totally inept, and our bus transit system is the pits.

do you actually pay attention in these threads????

Old 07-10-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Even if there were as few as you claim (and there are plenty, check out the area around McDonald), even one is too many. No idea why people from the historic Union would identify so much with the symbol of a traitorous bunch of losers who committed treason so they could continue to own other human beings. Curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh