Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 08:45 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,999,775 times

Advertisements

I think cities in general are going to lose population. We all know the rioting will continue because any time there is some mistake bye law enforcement or some race thingy, the city will go nuts. This is a real wakeup call because the riots happened even during a huge pandemic that claimed over 100,000 lives in the US. That wasn't nearly enough to stop the angry crazy mob and we know this is the new norm.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkel.../#1adc0e6fd30d

I feel bad for cities that have to deal with this during such incredibly difficult times with COVID and all the people out of work. Seems the rioters don't care about social distancing, nor do they care about risking people's lives.

Sure this will blow over, but it just keeps happening over and over. It is to the point there is always a riot somewhere. Who wants to live like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 08:51 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,777,141 times
What I find interseting is where are all the people going out of NYC going to go? you know its going to happen, it has to. De Blasio is a freaking moron and all the cops hate him, he hates them. nobody wants to live in a place where there are no police protections, and businesses are going to be jetting out even faster than residents. Pgh could get quite a few of them in the near future , like it or not.

I doubt they'll be going to Philly. or Boston. defintely not Baltimore.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:56 PM

1,436 posts, read 670,225 times
I agree people will leave the cities. It started with the virus but the looting and destruction seals the deal.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:27 PM

2,389 posts, read 2,344,125 times
The NYC refugees will probably head west to Jersey,north to CT, White Plains or along the Metro North, or the Poconos/Lehigh Valley(good grief I feel bad for those folks). Everything they need is in those locales so why bother with the city, especially when some of these people work remote?

Cities are dead. They can rebuild all they like but it won't matter. Why bother dealing with this trash, on top of taxes, poor infrastructure, homelessness, graffiti, crowds, traffic, lousy transit, lax law enforcement,kneeling police chiefs, etc? I'll stick it out for now since I work just outside city limits and have to transfer downtown using public transit but if I'm staying in this metro long term I'm moving to the outskirts of the county, if not out of state.

And when the next riots occur in these same cities, I'll just shrug in indifference. You get what you vote for.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:34 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,777,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
The NYC refugees will probably head west to Jersey,north to CT, White Plains or along the Metro North, or the Poconos/Lehigh Valley(good grief I feel bad for those folks). Everything they need is in those locales so why bother with the city, especially when some of these people work remote?

Cities are dead. They can rebuild all they like but it won't matter. Why bother dealing with this trash, on top of taxes, poor infrastructure, homelessness, graffiti, crowds, traffic, lousy transit, lax law enforcement,kneeling police chiefs, etc? I'll stick it out for now since I work just outside city limits and have to transfer downtown using public transit but if I'm staying in this metro long term I'm moving to the outskirts of the county, if not out of state.

And when the next riots occur in these same cities, I'll just shrug in indifference. You get what you vote for.

No doubt some will. but a lot know it won't be much different there, and without the cultural stuff. so Pgh I think would be a next logical place, it's somewhat sane with some big city amenities.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:12 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,657,036 times
I think this may lead to a rise in retrofitting more EXISTING suburban areas to be more “live, work, play”-friendly.

For example you can look at McCandless Crossing. You can live in a townhome there and walk to Cinemark, Trader Joe’s, Lowe’s, IHOP (ick), Dick’s (heh), Milk Shake Factory (yum), etc. I love living in an urban area because of the convenience of not necessarily requiring a car to do everything. My particular neighborhood is a bit sparse, but I can still walk to some things, which is great.

If I were to consider a suburban area it would NEED to be something like a McCandless Crossing. I foresee more of the North Hills (including Cranberry Township and Adams Township) offering more of those mixed-zoned neighborhoods in the coming years. I wish they could just blow up the entire intersection of 228 & 19 in Cranberry, bulldoze the adjacent properties, convert the intersection into a big roundabout, and put a little mixed-use “town center” in the center of the roundabout to give Cranberry Township a “Downtown”.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:01 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,688,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think cities in general are going to lose population. We all know the rioting will continue because any time there is some mistake bye law enforcement or some race thingy, the city will go nuts. This is a real wakeup call because the riots happened even during a huge pandemic that claimed over 100,000 lives in the US. That wasn't nearly enough to stop the angry crazy mob and we know this is the new norm.

I feel bad for cities that have to deal with this during such incredibly difficult times with COVID and all the people out of work. Seems the rioters don't care about social distancing, nor do they care about risking people's lives.

Sure this will blow over, but it just keeps happening over and over. It is to the point there is always a riot somewhere. Who wants to live like that?
It is going to happen. I think it will just make small cities and towns more attractive to people. You don’t need hundreds of thousands or millions living on top of each other to have urbanization and enough entertainment. I think of cities like Greensburg, Washington, Wheeling and McKeesport.

Especially with more remote work it can make places like that attractive. Still can use your car or access Uber and Lyft. Pittsburgh will likely start to hemmorage population again. How much depends on the amount of permanent job loss along with people tired of this micro New York rat race here.

I still shake my head at the defacing of the Lemieux statue. The goofy rep from our area trying to justify it. Mario will do more for the hill than any other athlete in Pittsburgh. I don’t remember any black pittsburgh Steelers in the past lined up to help the hill or poor blacks in this city.

Far left liberals are off their nut a mile and half. The same as the hardcore MAGA folks.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:46 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,060,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
It is going to happen. I think it will just make small cities and towns more attractive to people. You don’t need hundreds of thousands or millions living on top of each other to have urbanization and enough entertainment. I think of cities like Greensburg, Washington, Wheeling and McKeesport.

Especially with more remote work it can make places like that attractive. Still can use your car or access Uber and Lyft. Pittsburgh will likely start to hemmorage population again. How much depends on the amount of permanent job loss along with people tired of this micro New York rat race here.

I still shake my head at the defacing of the Lemieux statue. The goofy rep from our area trying to justify it. Mario will do more for the hill than any other athlete in Pittsburgh. I don’t remember any black pittsburgh Steelers in the past lined up to help the hill or poor blacks in this city.

Far left liberals are off their nut a mile and half. The same as the hardcore MAGA folks.

good points.

count me in - as traditionally a pro-inner city, non-car dependent, urban community guy on this forum....i have changed. (well, we all get older and our perspectives change in ways we would not have imagined.)

but city life is not what it used to be. in my perspective, anyway.

i am still motivated by environmental reasons - to keep my carbon footprint low (laugh if you want to), but the suburbs are looking better and better....and, with what seems like a different approach to urbanplanning, maybe we will ahve more McCandless Crossings, or even bike trails to connect numerous nearby towns in places like Washington County.

and maybe Butler County - when you are north of the city of Butler, does it get sparse in a hurry? I rarely stray off route 8, so i dont know. washington county, by comparison, is a series of many pockets of homes and population.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:53 AM

994 posts, read 502,728 times
Quote:
or some race thingy
Stay classy gg.

We don't know what will happen. NYC is much larger, but also more dense than almost every other American city, so the impact of covid was much more significant.

Pittsburgh wasn't impacted as nearly as much and its reactions to social issues is pretty mild.

The city and region continues to struggle with population that is complicated and also includes a unique issue not impacting other cities - natural decline.

Next.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:20 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,060,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post

people confuse RACIAL issues with those of ECONOMIC CLASS. all this has more to do with inner city culture of poverty*, than ethnicity or race. i do believe that, and its been lost long ago.

*before i am dragged from my residence and drawn and quartered in front of Bakery Square by the progressive PC gestapo, that IS an actual term: "culture of poverty", and it came straight from the my urban studies program (which i did not finish because i thought it was moronic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh