Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,670 times

Advertisements

I have read some of these blogs and forums about Penn Hills and section 8 renters and on some aspects I agree and some I don't. I am a section 8 renter and am being forced to move due to a slum landlord. I have taken care of this house as if it were my own. I work everyday and raise my children with great values. NOT ALL SECTION 8 TENANTS ARE BAD!!!!! I had rats coming in and out of my garage to the point I could not use it at all. the complete downstairs was mold infested and rat holes around my house. Are we suppose to live like that just because we have section 8????? NO iS ANYONE SUPPOSE TO LIVE LIKE THAT? NO My point is that home is what you make it section 8 , home owner or not. Penn Hills is going down hill just like alot of other neighborhoods. And that has nothing to do with black, white or whatever race you are. My landlord is white and only cared about the money. There are some very good section 8 tenants. And with section 8, landlords do still have the option to screen them, as tenants do with landlords. Section 8 works as long as it is utilized correctly. Some respondsibility does go on the landlord. Maybe try speaking with your section8 neighbors and maybe everyone effected can help come to a sollution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,670 times
I have heard enough negative talk about blacks and section 8. Now don't get me wrong there are alot of bad section 8 tenants. but there are other bad race ones too. I had a couple live across the street from me that was as ghetto as ghetto can get. Kids dirty all in the cys system aand never cleaned there yard there was toys in the yard all year. snow covered and all and when it got warm they didn't clean them just let the kids play with it THAT IS GHETTO!!!!! AND THEY WERE WHITE. WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED. I am not racist at all but my point is anyone can do it it's all in who youare

Old 08-31-2010, 03:33 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,596,535 times
I wonder if the original poster had any luck finding a job somewhere else.

"The job market in western Pennsylvania is a complete joke." -April 27, 2008

Never mind that the job market is actually decent if you're qualified, but I wonder if that guy moved somewhere else and can't find a job.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:45 PM

75 posts, read 171,631 times
All these posters saying things to demonize parents who spank or swat their children for breaking the rules because it's "inhumane" or "barbaric" etc, should actually see what's happening in Penn Hills when parents have let their kids form packs of deliquents causing crime from about age 10 on. If a tough parent would have whupped those same kids the first time they even thought about that road in life back when they were young enough to make an impression, they wouldn't be way down it now. Too late now...now just lock your doors and prepare to have your home graffitied and vandalized by packs of parentless 14 year olds.

Here's the reality about rules and anyone that thinks spanking a kid is "barbaric" or "humiliating" or "inhumane"...

When you're an ADULT, and you break the rules (we adults call them "laws"), the following things can LEGALLY be done to you by OUR authority figures (called police) in some circumstances...

- They can taze you.

- They can mace you.

- They can use a stun-gun on you.

- They can throw you to the ground.

- They can billy club you.

- They can handcuff you.

- They can hog-tie you.

- They can strip search you.

- They can throw you in a 6' x 8' cell 23 hours a day.

- They can bathe you by firing a cold water hose into your jail cell.

And if you REALLY press your luck with those laws, in some states, they...

- Can electrocute you to death.

- They can hang you (Washington state)

- They can have 6 guys open fire on you while you're tied to a stake (Utah)

- They can gas you to death.

And on, and on, and on.

Those are potential consequences of ADULTS that "break the rules", often set in motion because they HAD NO RULES UNTIL THEY WERE AN ADULT. Now, are THOSE punishments "barbaric", "humiliating", "inhumane", etc?

You bet they are, about 100 fold as much as an out of control kid getting a few licks with a paddle or a belt when he tests the boundaries early on.

And yet we live in a country now where the parent that would give that comparitively MINOR consequence, to prevent a lifestyle gaining steam that could lead to those HUGE consequences as an adult...actually will end up with graver consequences themselves for doing it, than the punishment they dished out to their bratty kid.

AND, to compound matters, normally the kid is then sent on some circus-ride of custody services, counselors, courtrooms, interrogators, and in worse case scenario becoming an foster care kid in state custody. Now what do you think traumatized the kid more? A few swats that'll sting for 5 minutes and knock his ego down a notch for a half hour, or the drawn-out ensuing madness of court interventions? Or for that matter the life that boy or girl was destined for if their mom or dad didn't lay down the law before it was too late?

It's not like we haven't tried the experiment of raising kids in an "Everybody Gets A Trophy, gentle negotiable punishment culture"...we've done that for about 15 year now...and America, congratulations...behold the learning environment and typical tone of the average kid today, and you have your result. What do ya think? How'd that theory pan out for ya?

Don't get me wrong. I'm pro CPS existing. There needs to be an entity out there to arrest those parents that are GENUINELY abusing their children, leaving them black and blue, coming home drunk and beating them out of pointless anger with no regard for their safety, etc. EVERYONE here is against authentic abuse...but when kids not even in highschool yet can stay out until midnight in their neighborhood throwing eggs at houses and spraypainting siding and smashing mailboxes, all of which residents of Penn Hills are becoming increasingly familiar with, and even if caught, fear nothing more than their mom or dad wagging their finger at them because CPS is on their speed-dial and are keener on punishing their parents than the kid, then our society has DRASTICALLY overcorrected the pendulum.

We've gone, out of fear of CPS and the scorn of our parental peers, from excessive heavyhandedness in the 30's and 40's, to children today that if they feel like it can pretty much turn their school into Lord Of The Flies, with their parents and teachers cowhering in fear of doing anything about it

Old 09-02-2010, 07:11 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,367,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker654321 View Post
Here's why:

I rent in Penn Hills, but will be moving out of state shortly. (The job market in Western Pennsylvania is a complete joke.)

But the residents of Penn Hills with their houses on the market aren't going anywhere. There are a TON of houses up for sale in Penn Hills, but no one is buying.

Granted, the housing market is slow everywhere, but when I visit Murrysville, Penn Township and other communities in Westmoreland County, I don't see the number of houses up for sale that I see in Penn Hills. Even Plum Borough, in Allegheny County, doesn't have the surplus of houses up for sale that Penn Hills has.

And the worst part is that a good many of these houses in Penn Hills have been on the market for some time -- in some cases, for at least two or three years.

Nobody with an iota of sense would move into Penn Hills. Certainly nobody with children would move to Penn Hills if they had a clue.

The schools are a joke, and the property values are on the decline. The 'Unity in the Community' event was cancelled this year after kids attending the event last year trashed Linton Middle School to the tune of $75,000, robbed a vendor and started several fights.

I'm lucky...I don't have a house to try to sell in Penn Hills. Not so for many others in Penn Hills.

Just in case anyone forgot, here is the OP. And here- //www.city-data.com/forum/parenting/ is the parenting forum where the pro's and con's of spanking can be discussed.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:20 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
If the merits and morality of hitting children is off topic, #54 should also be deleted.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:38 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,686,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
If the merits and morality of hitting children is off topic, #54 should also be deleted.
Cosign.

In before our posts getting deleted.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,412 times
I currently live in Penn Hills off of Hamil road. My home is a Ryan home built in the 1960's. I bought my house as a young professional single in 2009. As a young single you get more bang for your buck in Penn Hills. It really is a great home with great neighbors. I have since got married and have two small children 2 and 3 years old. Currently, I have my home on the market with few people looking at it. It has only been on the market for two and half weeks with little traffic. Recently I had an open house with only two people coming. My home is mostly fully updated with a new roof, deck, driveway, interior doors, and granite counter tops. I know that if this house was in a different area it would sell quickly. I am starting to feel a little discouraged. I had no idea that the housing market in Penn Hills was so tough. I am looking for a better school district for my kids. Why is the rest of Pittsburgh housing bombing except for Penn Hills? Is anyone else having these same issues?

Old 04-11-2016, 09:00 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,203,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon1616 View Post
I currently live in Penn Hills off of Hamil road. My home is a Ryan home built in the 1960's. I bought my house as a young professional single in 2009. ........ I am starting to feel a little discouraged. I had no idea that the housing market in Penn Hills was so tough. I am looking for a better school district for my kids. Why is the rest of Pittsburgh housing bombing except for Penn Hills? Is anyone else having these same issues?

Penn Hills has a crappy school district, and people know that. They also have high property levies, water and sewage costs, some parts of PH are pretty sketchy as well ( I don't know about your area). Further, the house in Penn Hills are older and smaller than what is trendy today in suburban living

However, some people still buy there in the current age----you did just a few years ago after this thread was started.

What attracted you to your home, and how can you market your home to those people that are in the same situation as you were? You can't really expect to get top dollar, a lower price than you'd pay for the same house in Plum or Murrysville is one of Penn Hills' selling point.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,412 times
I think I was attracted to my house for the price. It is a beautiful home and knew that I could not afford the same home in a different area. I knew the school district was crappy. I did not think that I would get married or have children. I really should have given it much more thought before buying in Penn Hills. If I had to do it over I would do it differently for sure. I will have to reevaluate my price if does not sell in another two weeks. Well, I am going to stay positive until I get an offer. Thanks for listening....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh