Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 07:30 PM

912 posts, read 1,732,229 times

Advertisements

Hamilton, Ontario

- Nicknamed "Steeltown"
- Gritty
- Blue-collar history
- Presitgious university (McMaster)
- Obsessed with their football team
- Team colors are black and yellow
- There's a neighborhood on a hill overlooking the city, similar to Mt. Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 08:53 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,052,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
Hamilton, Ontario

- Nicknamed "Steeltown"
- Gritty
- Blue-collar history
- Presitgious university (McMaster)
- Obsessed with their football team
- Team colors are black and yellow
- There's a neighborhood on a hill overlooking the city, similar to Mt. Washington

how did we get this far without a shout out for Ivor Wynne!?

Hamilton still SMELLS like 1970s Pgh. That is a strange town, just BECAUSE of the pgh 'feel'. I think it is more populous, and most bustling, though. hard to tell because their traffic patterns have fewer options and basically go in one direction. I had been there a few times for work over the last couple of decades (and have family further north.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:27 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,310,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Pittsburgh City

Clinton 114,847=78%
Trump 31,805= 22%

Cincinnati City

Clinton 100,866 =78%
Trump 28,797= 22%

That looks pretty much identical in percentage to me.

I thought I would throw Cleveland in there as well. Clinton got 82% of the vote and trump got 14% in Cleveland city.

Clinton won the suburbs of Cleveland with 60% and trump Got 36%. That is only for Cuyahoga county.

Cleveland and it’s metro is way more liberal than Pittsburgh. Suburb of Pepper Pike median family income is $133,000. Clinton got 63% of the vote there and trump 33%
Good info. Thanks.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:44 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Cincinnati is around 45% black, and Pittsburgh around 25% black. So even though the cities themselves are pretty similar in terms of partisan slant, white people are much more left-leaning in Pittsburgh than in Cincinnati. The 2016 results mask this somewhat, but a lot of the historically white/wealthy neighborhoods within city limits (like the Hyde Park area - which is a rough analogue of Squirrel Hill/Point Breeze) were Republican.

Cincinnati also historically had a much, much weaker Democratic party. The city had a Republican political machine up until 1970 or so, and a local third party (the Charter Party) continued to win mayorships once the GOP collapsed city-wide all the way through the mid 1980s. The city still has two Republicans on its city council.

Old 07-17-2020, 04:07 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,071 times
Hamilton is too flat IMO to feel like Pittsburgh.

The city that most reminded me of Pittsburgh was Budapest.
A bridge over a river, going into a tunnel under a mountain, with a funicular railway going up the mountain right next to the tunnel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3JEM2MOxO8

Old 07-17-2020, 04:20 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,052,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Hamilton is too flat IMO to feel like Pittsburgh.

The city that most reminded me of Pittsburgh was Budapest.
A bridge over a river, going into a tunnel under a mountain, with a funicular railway going up the mountain right next to the tunnel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3JEM2MOxO8

dang...we're ***** slapped again! Theirs is so much more amazing and beautiful.

I had heard Budapest was a beautiful place - actually two cities in one - Buda on one side of the waterway, Pest on the other. Hungary and romania i'd love to visit.

Old 07-17-2020, 07:14 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,684,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Cincinnati is around 45% black, and Pittsburgh around 25% black. So even though the cities themselves are pretty similar in terms of partisan slant, white people are much more left-leaning in Pittsburgh than in Cincinnati. The 2016 results mask this somewhat, but a lot of the historically white/wealthy neighborhoods within city limits (like the Hyde Park area - which is a rough analogue of Squirrel Hill/Point Breeze) were Republican.

Cincinnati also historically had a much, much weaker Democratic party. The city had a Republican political machine up until 1970 or so, and a local third party (the Charter Party) continued to win mayorships once the GOP collapsed city-wide all the way through the mid 1980s. The city still has two Republicans on its city council.
Why does this always have to be a a white/black thing. People are people. What does it matter how Cincinnati was 50 years ago?

In present day they pretty much mirror our city politically. I am interested to see if they pass us in population. Their economy is a lot more diverse than ours with a lot more growth. I think their downtown has a lot more business and vibrancy than ours does.

I am personally not a Cincinnati fan though. I only like Covington Kentucky which reminds me of a combination of the south side flats and Mexican war streets.

I think the best city in the rust belt is Grand Rapids, MI. I think in many ways it beats the larger cities including Pittsburgh when it comes to vibrancy, youth and economics. I think it is a lot better than Philadelphia and Baltimore as well.

Pittsburgh has the topography of Cincinnati, with a similar economic makeup to Cleveland and legacy residents that have most in common with those from southeast Ohio and West Virginia. Including a small super progressive elite bubble which most larger cities have located in the east end of the city around the colleges and universities. That is pretty much Pittsburgh in a nutshell.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:15 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,912 times
as far as personalities go, and that vibe, Baltimore is closest. Philly pretty close too. Cincy is similar in topogrophy and a bit of built form but not much in people or vibe. Cincy is slow in comparison, much more indirect and polite. Philly is more in your face and obnoxious. Pgh has plenty of that in cetain areas, but overall, Baltimore is the closest. Celeveland I don't find similar to Pgh really, its more like Detroit.

Last edited by _Buster; 07-17-2020 at 09:24 PM..

Old 07-18-2020, 07:07 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
I see a lot of physical resemblance to Cincinnati, but I definitely agree that the people and vibe generally feels extremely different, and in that Pittsburgh oddly feels more Philadelphia to me.

Budapest is a really interesting entry!

I can see St. John making a lot of sense.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:37 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,684,214 times
Interesting to see others posts on here. I don’t see Philadelphia or Baltimore at all in the vibe. Maybe this is because people don’t leave the east end of the city very much. Being like Philadelphia isn’t a compliment either. I enjoy visiting there, but Philly and New York City are probably the worst cities in the eastern time zone. I couldn’t be paid enough to live in either.

The natives here really resemble southeast Ohio and West Virginia that lean a little more to the left than those areas.

Even Michigan is more liberal than Pennsylvania and has more a New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont vibe than PA. Michigan represents the northeast more than PA. Grand Rapids is terrific. So is Lansing and the Detroit Suburbs. Then you have smaller towns like Chelsea, Ann Arbor and Coldwater. Anybody wanting a liberal vibe, beautiful countryside, outdoors and cheap living should choose Michigan over Pennsylvania.

I still laugh that Pittsburgh is cosmopolitan. I don’t see that outside of the university’s around here. I think Cleveland is more cosmopolitan than Pittsburgh. And I say that because it spills out from university circle into the eastern suburbs and then from Ohio city into Lakewood and west to Westlake. Pittsburgh’s cosmopolitan is pretty much shadyside and that’s it. It doesn’t go into the suburbs around here. There is a difference between wealthy and cosmopolitan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh