Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2020, 06:24 AM

882 posts, read 335,446 times

Advertisements

It's really fascinating to see the lengths that people will go to in order to be contrarian. To find any small shred of an idea, and contort it or outright change it to fit their narrative. I'm curious what the psychology is behind it. It could be that they were bullied as a child and this outward projection masks insecurities that they have on the inside. Maybe for others it satisfies both the need to be unique and the need to fit in with others. Or maybe they just feel a need to stand out from a larger group because they feel they don't have an identity? Either way, it's sad that in this particular manifestation that they're actually harming others. It's a bit depressing that as a society, empathy, and even just the appearance of it, seems to be absent in a small subset of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 07:15 AM

806 posts, read 260,302 times
Pittsburgh is actually pretty good for mask usage and appropriate disease control measures. Pittsburgh is a bit of an 'island' in a sea of emptiness, population-wise, so we don't have the same problem that the east coast megalopolis does being urbanized from Boston down to at least DC.

Nashville is popping off right now because no one there cares or thinks the virus is real. My family mostly lives in central/northeast PA and no one there cares either. All it's going to take in that area is one person passing through to get someone sick and it's going to spread like wildfire through the little hill towns.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:24 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Because they don't work.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Because they don't work.
Except they do?

This country has a conspiracy theory problem.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:38 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
Except they do?

This country has a conspiracy theory problem.
It’s not a conspiracy theory problem, it’s simply that not everyone is easily duped into believing everything they’re told without evidence to back it up.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
It’s not a conspiracy theory, it’s simply that not everyone is capable of being duped into believing everything they’re told without evidence to back it up
I have posted evidence over and over in this thread.

That you choose not to read it doesn't mean that the evidence does not exist.

Face coverings prevent the spread of respiratory diseases like Covid-19 by reducing the projection of spittle. This is established science. It has been established science for over a century.

This is clear evidence that it's mostly a partisan issue; people choose to ignore the facts that are in front of their face because their surrogate daddy has said they're not necessary, and they need to show that they're still in the cult, so to speak.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I have posted evidence over and over in this thread.

That you choose not to read it doesn't mean that the evidence does not exist.

Face coverings prevent the spread of respiratory diseases like Covid-19 by reducing the projection of spittle. This is established science. It has been established science for over a century.

This is clear evidence that it's mostly a partisan issue; people choose to ignore the facts that are in front of their face because their surrogate daddy has said they're not necessary, and they need to show that they're still in the cult, so to speak.
Except you didn’t...but I do agree with you on conspiracy theories as there’s still people that believe this all started due to a bat.

Quite interesting how your Trump references and hate has you believing that only Republicans don’t wear masks.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Except you didn’t...but I do agree with you on conspiracy theories as there’s still people that believe this all started due to a bat.
I posted a Lancet summary of over 160 studies around the world, with methodology, stating a correlation between wearing PPE including facial masks and a reduced spread of the disease. Come on now.

You are subscribing to conspiracy theories about masks and their efficacy. No different than the guy earlier who insisted without evidence that hospitals are lying about covid-19 deaths to get more money.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I posted a Lancet summary of over 160 studies around the world, with methodology, stating a correlation between wearing PPE including facial masks and a reduced spread of the disease. Come on now.

You are subscribing to conspiracy theories about masks and their efficacy. No different than the guy earlier who insisted without evidence that hospitals are lying about covid-19 deaths to get more money.
When I see scientific stats to the questions I asked, I’ll happily “come on now”.

I’m not subscribing to any conspiracy theories. I’m not easily duped, nor do I have any bias towards anyone that chooses to believe what they want with or without scientific evidence.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
When I see scientific stats to the questions I asked, I’ll happily “come on now”.

I’m not subscribing to any conspiracy theories. I’m not easily duped, nor do I have any bias towards anyone that chooses to believe what they want without scientific evidence.
You're working from the Dinesh D'Souza playbook. Ask people to present evidence and then ignore it. If that Lancet study isn't good enough for you to understand that face coverings are efficacious in preventing the spread of disease, nothing is.

Make no mistake, "masks don't prevent the spread of respiratory diseases" is a loony conspiracy theory. It speaks volumes that you think that taking protective measures against the spread of disease is "being duped." It costs you absolutely nothing to wear a mask.

I have a friend who has been living in the UK for the past five years. He's on vacation now, on the beach in Greece. He can do that because they took measures to prevent the spread of disease and got mostly back to normal.

We're still closed down here with escalating cases and the worst is yet to come because a few obstinate people choose to believe conspiracy theories over scientific established fact and don't think they need to help prevent the spread of this disease. We're a deeply dysfunctional society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh