Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2020, 10:58 AM

806 posts, read 260,447 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/DecoherenceWave/...39069610885121

German study says that covid-19 survivors, even asymptomatic ones, are showing evidence of cardiac damage.

Just the flu, bro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 11:12 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
Sounds like your family's business wasn't worth much if a few months' worth of pandemic ruined it.

Like they say, should have had six months' expenses saved up.
Sounds like a lot of Pittsburgh businesses weren’t worth much.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wpx...outputType=amp

Old 09-02-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
https://twitter.com/DecoherenceWave/...39069610885121

German study says that covid-19 survivors, even asymptomatic ones, are showing evidence of cardiac damage.

Just the flu, bro.
Should definitely shut down a lot of the “essential” businesses, especially the high traffic ones like Walmart, Home Depot, Giant Eagle, etc..., rather than taking the chance of being exposed. Those places see huge amounts of people everyday.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:42 AM

882 posts, read 335,648 times
Here's the problem with using the low mortality rate as an argument for opening up everything.
  1. It neglects the law of large number
  2. It assumes that there are only 2 outcomes; death or no problems whatsoever

The US has a population of about 328,200,000. If 1% of the population dies, that's a little over 3 million dead.

3 million dead would through a monkey wrench in the economy, regardless. That's more than 2x the number of annual deaths at once.

But what about the people that survive?

For every on person who dies:
  • 19 more require hospitalization
  • 18 of those will have permanent heart damage for the rest of their lives
  • 10 will have permanent lung damage
  • 3 will have strokes
  • 2 will have neurological damage that leads to chronic weakness and loss of coordination
  • 2 will have neurological damage that leads to loss of cognitive function

So all of a sudden, that "but it's only 1% fatal" becomes:

• 3 million dead
  • 62 million hospitalized
  • 59 million with permanent heart damage
  • 32 million with permanent lung damage
  • 10 million with strokes
  • 6 million with muscle weakness
  • 6 million with loss of cognitive function

That's the thing these folks going on about "only 1% dead, what's the big deal?" get.

The choice is not "ruin the economy to save 1%". If we reopen the economy, it will be destroyed anyway. The US economy cannot survive everyone getting COVID-19

Old 09-02-2020, 12:11 PM

755 posts, read 472,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
Here's the problem with using the low mortality rate as an argument for opening up everything.

The US has a population of about 328,200,000. If 1% of the population dies, that's a little over 3 million dead.

3 million dead would through a monkey wrench in the economy, regardless. That's more than 2x the number of annual deaths at once.

• 3 will have strokes
  • 2 will have neurological damage that leads to chronic weakness and loss of coordination

• 3 million dead

That's the thing these folks going on about "only 1% dead, what's the big deal?" get.

The choice is not "ruin the economy to save 1%". If we reopen the economy, it will be destroyed anyway. The US economy cannot survive everyone getting COVID-19
So . . . back to "my mask protects you and your mask protects me". It's such a complicated, nuanced approach. No wonder people are having such a hard time understanding it.

I would like to see people who don't think masks work tell their next surgical team "hey, I don't need your phony theory of pathogenic transmission to trample all over my rights, so, please do not wear a face covering during my surgery, and while you're at it, no need to scrub those hands either".

Old 09-02-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post

• 3 will have strokes

• 3 million dead

Bingo. Shut most everything down and stay safe.

Only problem I see is when the money runs out, but that shouldn’t be a huge issue.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:11 PM

755 posts, read 472,738 times
So . . . back to "my mask protects you and your mask protects me". It's such a complicated, nuanced approach. No wonder people are having such a hard time understanding it.

I would like to see people who don't think masks work tell their next surgical team "hey, I don't need your phony theory of pathogenic transmission to trample all over my rights, so, please do not wear a face covering during my surgery, and while you're at it, no need to scrub those hands either".

Old 09-02-2020, 01:17 PM

882 posts, read 335,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo. Shut most everything down and stay safe.

Only problem I see is when the money runs out, but that shouldn’t be a huge issue.

We could start with the 32B in farm subsidies. It used to be about 1/2 that before the Trump Trade War.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post

If masks work, and you’re wearing one, there shouldn’t be a concern if someone else isn’t.

Don’t recall ever hearing about anyone ever requesting their surgeon not wear a mask or not scrub their hands.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:21 PM

806 posts, read 260,447 times
The United States controls its' own reserve currency.

We could essentially print whatever it takes to get through this crisis and worry about cleaning the mess up later, but we won't.

Note that we ARE essentially printing unlimited money to prop up the stock markets. Just not for you and me, we don't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh