Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 04:29 PM

806 posts, read 256,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Completely false. they get avg of 12K more for each covid patient, much more if on ventilator
No, they don't.

They get paid the same exact amount by CMS for ventilator use regardless of the cause.

Here are the codes they use to bill ventilator use to CMS, CPT codes 94002-94005.

https://coder.aapc.com/cpt-codes-range/2743

You will see that there's no differentiation in those codes between causes of ventilator use. Only periods of time under ventilator management.

You are once again repeating misinformation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 04:34 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,572,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
ah, no. its obviously not enough to make you pass out, unless you are in heavy physical activity. but its not good for you, andsurgeons take them off as soon as they leave the room. they prevent bacterial spread. not viruses. viruses are much much smaller than bacteria. 0.1 microns. read a book.

erm... I wear a mask for 7.5 hours a day at work, while doing heavy work and I have yet to pass out. Been doing this for going on 7 years...no one I work with has passed out either and this in spite of us working in 75-80 degree temps at 50% humidity.

Old 07-19-2020, 04:35 PM

3,979 posts, read 1,829,836 times
Covid-19 has a mortality rate at least two orders of magnitude worse than the common flu.

No it isn't. Flu is (CDC) 0.1% or so. Covid is 0.25 - 0.50% or so. Two orders of magnitude worse than the flu would be 10%. It is nowhere near 10%.

Nevertheless - it's a serious problem - whatever the death rate - because the flu has never threatened to fill up entire hospitals in modern times. Not DONE it. But not even THREATENED to do it. Not so, the COVID.

This is about resources - not death - whatever the number is.

Old 07-19-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Covid-19 has a mortality rate at least two orders of magnitude worse than the common flu.

No it isn't. Flu is (CDC) 0.1% or so. Covid is 0.25 - 0.50% or so. Two orders of magnitude worse than the flu would be 10%. It is nowhere near 10%.

Nevertheless - it's a serious problem - whatever the death rate - because the flu has never threatened to fill up entire hospitals in modern times. Not DONE it. But not even THREATENED to do it. Not so, the COVID.

This is about resources - not death - whatever the number is.

Coronavirus has an observed average CFR of 3.61%*.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7104689/

Some countries, most notably Italy, are worse - over 9% for Italy. Some are better.

Once hospitals fill up with coronavirus patients who insisted it's "just the flu bro", you're going to have to worry about strokes, car accidents, etc killing people because there's simply no room to take care of them anymore. Normally routine injuries and maladies will become fatal.

(* - edited - this article was from observations made in March and April. It may have gone down since then, but I doubt it's gone down as low as 0.25%.)

Old 07-19-2020, 04:52 PM

4,185 posts, read 3,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
Their daddy figure in the White House and his surrogates have signaled to them that masks are for liberals. That's all there is to it.

In 2020, playing at being Typhoid Mary is now a political issue.
Go back and look up what the Surgeon General and some major media outlets were saying about this all the way up until the second week of March.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/28/healt..._medium=social

https://www.axios.com/surgeon-genera...4f3e61bf3.html

As someone who was masked up in late January and got publicly questioned/ridiculed for it, I think the whole "wear a mask, its common sense" consensus the general public only just now seems to be coming around to is maybe just a little more complicated.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Go back and look up what the Surgeon General and some major media outlets were saying about this all the way up until the second week of March.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/28/healt..._medium=social

https://www.axios.com/surgeon-genera...4f3e61bf3.html

As someone who was masked up in late January and got publicly questioned/ridiculed for it, I think the whole "wear a mask, its common sense" consensus the general public only just now seems to be coming around to is maybe just a little more complicated.
Their focus back then was on making sure scarce medical PPE was available for physicians and nurses to use, which of course has been extrapolated out by the dishonest to be “they said not to wear masks and now they say to wear them, so I’m going to do what I want to do (spread disease)”.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:35 PM

4,185 posts, read 3,223,112 times
Quote:
Their focus back then was on making sure scarce medical PPE was available for physicians and nurses to use, which of course has been extrapolated out by the dishonest to be “they said not to wear masks and now they say to wear them, so I’m going to do what I want to do (spread disease)”.

Standard anti-viral masks (not rated N95) are for the general public. That's why they sell them at the drug store. If they had said "stop buying N95 masks" that might be different, but I don't think that 's what happened.

People want to simplify this down to "they don't believe in science" to make themselves feel smart when the fact is, all around America until pretty recently, you were looked at funny or ridiculed for wearing ANY kind of mask, even when we had ample evidence that COVID-19 would be what it is. People needed cable news to reassure them that they should take it seriously and they could wear masks and be socially acceptable-other countries didn't have this issue.

Not a partisan issue.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
People want to simplify this down to "they don't believe in science" to make themselves feel smart when the fact is, all around America until pretty recently, you were looked at funny or ridiculed for wearing ANY kind of mask, even when we had ample evidence that COVID-19 would be what it is. People needed cable news to reassure them that they should take it seriously and they could wear masks and be socially acceptable-other countries didn't have this issue.

Not a partisan issue.
I’m going to disagree with this, people have been wearing face masks in Pittsburgh since this popped up and I’ve yet to see anyone be ridiculed for it. The not-insignificant Asian population here has always worn them when sickness was an issue.

Regardless of what happened in February or March, the science is known now and anyone not wearing them is being deliberately stupid, and that stupidity is more often than not partisan in nature.

Old 07-19-2020, 06:03 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times
Quote:
I’m going to disagree with this, people have been wearing face masks in Pittsburgh since this popped up and I’ve yet to see anyone be ridiculed for it. The not-insignificant Asian population here has always worn them when sickness was an issue.

Regardless of what happened in February or March, the science is known now and anyone not wearing them is being deliberately stupid, and that stupidity is more often than not partisan in nature.
Masks have been worn all over the country since this has popped up, and much like Pittsburgh, not everyone has chosen to wear them, same as now.

Or they don’t wear them because they’re simply not scared of a virus with a 98%+ survival rate and/or haven’t seen scientific fact that they truly work.

Old 07-19-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Masks have been worn all over the country since this has popped up, and much like Pittsburgh, not everyone has chosen to wear them, same as now.

Or they don’t wear them because they’re simply not scared of a virus with a 98%+ survival rate and/or haven’t seen scientific fact that they truly work.
The 98% survival rate that you're bandying about as mostly safe, with a CDC-proposed 70% infection rate in the United States, means 2.6 million dead people from covid-19. It would be the largest mass death event in American history.

The innumeracy the virus deniers put on display is incredible.

You haven't seen the scientific facts that they truly work because you choose not to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh