Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2020, 07:34 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
There's a reason why the middle of this country is empty.

No one wants to live there unless they were born there.

no. there are nice communities and cities in the interior. it seems 'no one' wants to live there because it is expansive and covers a humongous area.

on a lot of topics, you seem to generalize to fit a world view that is comforting to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 07:35 AM

806 posts, read 260,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
What about providing a nice home for working people?
Not into brokering mortgages.

The difference between a renter and a homeowner is a down payment. It is in the interest of the landlord to charge enough that their customer base can't save up a down payment.

I can tell you that my mortgage for a house in south hills is half what I was paying to rent a similar house, from a landlord I had to take to court.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:48 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
no. there are nice communities and cities in the interior. it seems 'no one' wants to live there because it is expansive and covers a humongous area.

on a lot of topics, you seem to generalize to fit a world view that is comforting to you.
Bingo

Old 07-22-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:

Having been all over the United States, I'll say no. Sorry.

There's a reason 2/3rds of the US lives on the coasts and borders.

There's a reason the middle of the country is empty.

The empty parts of the country have a lot of anger for the prosperous, populated areas, hence the mess we're in right now.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:57 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:

The empty parts of the country have a lot of anger for the prosperous, populated areas, hence the mess we're in right now.

gee...from the person who hates (my word) Mt. Lebanon and suburbs in general, believes "the core of conservatism" is anti-human (my summary), and makes far-reaching conclusions that are, well, far-fetched (most people do that, anymore).

Old 07-22-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
gee...from the person who hates (my word) Mt. Lebanon and suburbs in general, believes "the core of conservatism" is anti-human (my summary), and makes far-reaching conclusions that are, well, far-fetched (most people do that, anymore).
Lol. I guarantee ML doesn’t miss anyone with those ideas, and certainly helps to keep places like that desirable.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I poke fun at places like Mt. Lebanon because they can't take a joke at their expense, but at the end of the day I don't actually have a personal problem with it or the suburbs in general beyond tax-related stuff.

The US is full of places like rural PA that have a self-selecting population of bitter, angry people who are upset that the world passed them by, and they expect continued prosperity without having to do anything to earn it. Their children grow up, go to college, and leave their rural areas forever for better economic opportunities and that only embitters them further.

We're at a point in US history where they've been radicalized on spite for the more prosperous, more diverse portions of the country and are willing to burn everything down rather than actually work for a better future for themselves. It's sad.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:04 AM

882 posts, read 335,508 times
Quote:
Not into brokering mortgages.

The difference between a renter and a homeowner is a down payment. It is in the interest of the landlord to charge enough that their customer base can't save up a down payment.

I can tell you that my mortgage for a house in south hills is half what I was paying to rent a similar house, from a landlord I had to take to court.

But some people don't want to buy a house and desire the flexibility of a rental.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:08 AM

Anecdotal, but I'd suspect that a survey of renters would find that most of them in their late twenties and older would prefer to own a home. Owning a home is simply not an option for young people in areas that aren't completely miserable anymore.

I can tell you that the previous owner of my house paid, in 1990, less than half what I paid for it in adjusted dollars.

When I was young and had a terrible job making $8 an hour, I rented a studio apartment for $325 a month. That same exact apartment is now $650 a month and the people who might rent it aren't making more today than they were in 2006.

Housing in this country is a mess.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Anecdotal, but I'd suspect that a survey of renters would find that most of them in their late twenties and older would prefer to own a home. Owning a home is simply not an option for young people in areas that aren't completely miserable anymore.

I can tell you that the previous owner of my house paid, in 1990, less than half what I paid for it in adjusted dollars.

When I was young and had a terrible job making $8 an hour, I rented a studio apartment for $325 a month. That same exact apartment is now $650 a month and the people who might rent it aren't making more today than they were in 2006.

Housing in this country is a mess.
Big difference in desirable areas and undesirable areas as far as affording a home and/or being miserable.

Depends where you’re at and what your standards of living are. Housing market is extremely strong, especially in desirable areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh