Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 10:51 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Ok, I know someone will take offense at this: Walmart is like shopping at the Newark Greyhound terminal and Target is more like Grand Central Station. Shoppers at Walmart are always scowling at me while Target shoppers will actually return a smile when one is offered. Just my experience. This is a needed boost to residential development downtowm. I don't expect it will impact the current shop owners as much as raising all boats and creating a good, competative environment for consumers.
oh thats funny! being someone who is also hyper-observant, as you might be, i have DEFINITELY noticed the same thing at Wal-Mart.

If I go, its to the West Mifflin or Waterworks Mall ones - both are rare trips, just because the contact lens solution they sell is the cheapest for adequate quality. the one at Waterworks absolutely sucks - the staff there are bad at keeping the stores running smoothly.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:57 AM

806 posts, read 260,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
oh thats funny! being someone who is also hyper-observant, as you might be, i have DEFINITELY noticed the same thing at Wal-Mart.

If I go, its to the West Mifflin or Waterworks Mall ones - both are rare trips, just because the contact lens solution they sell is the cheapest for adequate quality. the one at Waterworks absolutely sucks - the staff there are bad at keeping the stores running smoothly.
Costco will sell you three giant bottles of decent contact solution for ten bucks.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:08 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
Walmart's future isn't looking too bright. Their low end customers are being stolen away by dollar stores and people with higher income don't shop there. They have no real path to growth.

https://www.investopedia.com/stock-a...-kss-amzn.aspx
Lol. Anything more recent than 2018?

Old 07-23-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Costco will sell you three giant bottles of decent contact solution for ten bucks.
Shouldn’t it be better than “decent” from there?

Old 07-23-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lol. Anything more recent than 2018?
I can’t imagine the retail landscape has changed drastically in 24 months.

People with money don’t shop there, and the poor are being pulled away by dollar stores. Their remaining customer base has no other options and will bail as soon as they do.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I can’t imagine the retail landscape has changed drastically in 24 months.

People with money don’t shop there, and the poor are being pulled away by dollar stores. Their remaining customer base has no other options and will bail as soon as they do.
So no links to back up your assumptions?

What do you consider “people with money”?

Old 07-23-2020, 12:22 PM

755 posts, read 472,413 times
If you want to read an eye-opener about retail in the age of Amazon get Scott Galloway's book "The Four: the Hidden DNA of Amazon, Google, Apple and Facebook".

ALL retailers are trying to manage their decline relative to ever-increasing market share competition from Amazon (on the precipice of being the first trillion-dollar retail company, ever). Target's future looks a bit brighter as a litter more of a niche retailer than Walmart, but they are all suffering "hugely".

I am concerned about the proposed size of this site, since the appeal of Target to me is the variety they offer under one roof. Groceries are a big missing piece of the downtown market, and I think that would be a big draw in that location - even though the margins are small, it could be a loss leader. I think they are going to need a fairly large grocery section to succeed.

Last edited by Charley Barker; 07-23-2020 at 12:44 PM..

Old 07-23-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
So no links to back up your assumptions?

What do you consider “people with money”?
Can afford to shop literally anywhere else and has somewhere else nearby to shop.

Their primary growth engine has always been destroying other options in rural areas via undercutting, thus ensuring the locals have nowhere else to shop.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Can afford to shop literally anywhere else and has somewhere else nearby to shop.

Their primary growth engine has always been destroying other options in rural areas via undercutting, thus ensuring the locals have nowhere else to shop.
What’s the income level you’re assuming of the people who don’t shop there?

Except that wasn’t your argument. You said people with money don’t shop there.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
What’s the income level you’re assuming of the people who don’t shop there?

Except that wasn’t your argument. You said people with money don’t shop there.
If you can afford better, you shop at higher quality places. Some people don't have a choice, of course.

Walmarts are generally depressing to be in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh