Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 09:24 AM

755 posts, read 472,554 times

Advertisements

Being relatively new to the area, and with the pandemic, we have been exploring a lot of places within a 2 hour radius of Pittsburgh this summer. There are parts of this area that are absolutely idyllic. For example the back roads between Connellsville and Mt. Pleasant could pass for the verdant landscapes of Ireland or Gloucestershire in England. However, parts of Washington Co. are not at all pleasant with the truck traffic, noise and the industrial viewshed. It really is a sort of rural blight. I wouldn't call it widespread, but the ares where it is present don't look good.

I understand the idea of energy independence and the resulting reduction in foreign entanglements. I do wish there was a better return on investment (see below) and more careful zoning with much greater setbacks. It needs to be viewed as a transitional energy source, even if that transition takes 50 years.

THE biggest issue with the extraction/natural resource industries is that they are by their nature not sustainable. Once the resource is depleted, people and capital move on to the next area where more resources have been discovered. This is so apparent in all the old coal, lumber, conventional oil and gas towns that dot the landscape mostly north and south of Pittsburgh. You see amazing but dilapidated houses and buildings in these places (from Kane, PA near the NY boarder, south to cities like Brownsville) that were built when the resources were being exploited and land owners invested the royalties in their towns.

And you see this now where you see a gas well surrounded by run-down houses next to beautiful, large estates where the landowner has put up yards and yards of rail fencing that surround acres of manicured lawn with fountains centered on clear water ponds - but no horses! I come from an area where there was a real horse culture and people would love to have fenced meadows for their horses and grazing livestock. It's weird.

I have no problem with landowners benefiting from royalties, but to a large extent the benefits are accruing to a few while the costs are spread to everyone else who lives in these communities. I suspect these places will fall into disrepair as the gas resource is depleted and the royalties decline, leaving behind properties that will become less and less desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 10:45 AM

265 posts, read 150,674 times
One place you don’t want to live if you have kids, and maybe even if you don’t, is “between Connellsville and Mt. Pleasant.” That’s practically the epicenter of Pennsyltucky.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:11 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amattaro View Post
One place you don’t want to live if you have kids, and maybe even if you don’t, is “between Connellsville and Mt. Pleasant.” That’s practically the epicenter of Pennsyltucky.
Yet still better than many places in the city

Old 07-27-2020, 11:15 AM

994 posts, read 502,049 times
Quote:
But that's an area between two already tiny communities, so it's extremely sparse population wise.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
But that's an area between two already tiny communities, so it's extremely sparse population wise.
Is that where you lived before you moved to Atlanta, or do you still live there?

Old 07-28-2020, 02:53 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amattaro View Post
Why? You think people in the country are bad? I have enjoyed my time out that way and stop in places to eat and been treated WAY better than I get treated in Pittsburgh. The area is much more friendly. I stopped by Helltown Brewery before the damn pandemic and it was great with a ton of friendly talkative people. They even offered me free pizza and I didn't know any of them. That isn't going to happen in Pittsburgh. Hate to tell you, but as things are right now with all the unrest, the country is a much better place to be. Just happier.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:21 PM

265 posts, read 150,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Why? You think people in the country are bad? I have enjoyed my time out that way and stop in places to eat and been treated WAY better than I get treated in Pittsburgh. The area is much more friendly. I stopped by Helltown Brewery before the damn pandemic and it was great with a ton of friendly talkative people. They even offered me free pizza and I didn't know any of them. That isn't going to happen in Pittsburgh. Hate to tell you, but as things are right now with all the unrest, the country is a much better place to be. Just happier.
I grew up in 15610. Went to Mt. Pleasant. Mt. Pleasant is a below average education. Connellsville is worse. Good job opportunities are non existent. Many parts are scenic.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:11 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Yeah, for sure.

It stays whiter out there a lot later.
You’ll be more comfortable in a place where you have less disdain for others.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Yeah, for sure.

It stays whiter out there a lot later.
You’ll be more comfortable in a place where you have less disdain for others.
Still haven’t seen those gas wells you said are in Cranberry Twp.

Obviously why you live in the city, lol.

I hear North Park Lounge is still open in Lawrenceville.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:16 PM

994 posts, read 502,049 times
Quote:
You’ll be more comfortable in a place where you have less disdain for other

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Merge again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh