Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2021, 11:22 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC1986 View Post
Although, apparently, contract details have yet to be finalized , Rooney, as usual was unwilling and/or unable to make the hard decisions for the team to move forward.
Yet another year of Tomlin's arrogance, egomania, and unwillingness to change, since he is Coach for Life.
Also, more inevitable Roethlisberger drama, as his once prodigious physical skills continue to decline.
This outfit reminds me of the French Ancien Regime in many ways.
I have been a Tomlin supporter for years, but after the latest playoff debacle no more. Also, it is looking more and more like Ben and the Steeler's won in spite of Tomlin and not because of him. The Brown's playoff game was a failure on all levels, but to me the biggest failure was coaching and the Steeler's top 3 rated defense couldn't stop the Browns at all throughout the game. Tomlin has always been a defensive minded coach and the Steeler's defenses have been terrible in the playoffs for 10+ years now. In fact, the Steeler's had legitimate Super Bowl chances in 2016-17 with even a mediocre performances by the defense, but we all know how that turned out. This is particularly frustrating as the Tampa Bay Defense, who was not even rated in the top 5, took over the Super Bowl and completely shutdown one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history. Of course Ben's play and the turnovers were a major contributing factor in the Brown's game, but it really came down to coaching and the team with their head coach coaching from the basement came to play and the home team looked terrible once again. Regardless of how it ends I'm glad to see Ben going out on his own terms and not being forced out like Troy Polamalu or Terry Bradshaw, both of whom had serious ill will toward the Steeler's for some time after their retirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 11:22 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Yeah Art II is a clown. But hey this is what they want. Leave the stale head coach in there for life and A farewell tour for a QB that should’ve been gone in 2018 with a dead arm and no chance for the Super Bowl. But hey it’s what the fans want. Another season of medicority, mediocre draft position leads to endless mediocrity. I just don’t see the point in Bringing Ben back whether they owe him money or not. It’s time to move on and pass the torch to someone else
Actually, many fans want Ben gone...and you insist he’s terrible, so it’s the perfect recipe for the #1 draft pick....and you won’t have to wait 14 weeks to criticize him after a loss.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:48 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Actually, many fans want Ben gone...and you insist he’s terrible, so it’s the perfect recipe for the #1 draft pick....and you won’t have to wait 14 weeks to criticize him after a loss.

why is that?

for me, its not that i want him gone....i just think its time to start looking at building an offense, a way of doing things around another leader.
the point that he has one more year at most is well taken. even the most ardent ben-hater could deal with that. it will be bittersweet. i do hope he kicks ass, actually, but I am glad it will be his last. why not get to the toughest part of this for any legacy team - their once super QB's last days - quicker, so we can (hopefully) get through it faster.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
why is that?

for me, its not that i want him gone....i just think its time to start looking at building an offense, a way of doing things around another leader.
the point that he has one more year at most is well taken. even the most ardent ben-hater could deal with that. it will be bittersweet. i do hope he kicks ass, actually, but I am glad it will be his last. why not get to the toughest part of this for any legacy team - their once super QB's last days - quicker, so we can (hopefully) get through it faster.
Mostly because of the salary and cap numbers, but he’s going to restructure his contract like he’s done most all of his career.

What many don’t understand, even those that claim to have watched the Stillers “all my life”, is that the Stillers don’t rebuild. It can be cried about and argued about all day, every day, for the rest of ones life, but that’s not how they do business, and it’s made them one of the most successful franchises in NFL history.

Anyone that insists that Ben is done, and that the Stillers aren’t going anywhere, and truly wants the Stillers to get a high draft pick, should be ecstatic.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:44 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
When Bradshaw retired, how many years was it and how many quarterbacks were there until there was a consistent winner?

Old 02-24-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
When Bradshaw retired, how many years was it and how many quarterbacks were there until there was a consistent winner?
Bingo

Many folks forget that and a poster suggested that Jim Miller was a great Stillers qb. Miller couldn’t have carried Bens jock on his best day. Neil O’Donnell was the best we’ve had before Ben.

I keep hearing that Rudolph is the Stillers “bridge qb”. While the Stillers could certainly luck into the next Ben, the odds against it are huge.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:50 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
true, but it wasnt just there - they lacked some fleet footed receivers, at times had poor offensive line, average defenses...

O'Donnell actually was an accurate, consistent passer, with a tiny little int. percentage....two picks in the Super Bowl notwithstanding, and the first arguably wasnt even his fault - the receiver did not adjust to the blitz.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:19 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,121 times
Quote:
If the Steelers don’t win the super bowl with Ben then what’s the point? Why bring back somebody who doesn’t have a career past this upcoming season? I don’t get it. We aren’t talking about Ben of 2017. We are talking 2020 Ben that is aging rapidly and threw 10 interceptions in his last seven games, also unable to eclipse a passer rating of 90.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
If the Steelers don’t win the super bowl with Ben then what’s the point? Why bring back somebody who doesn’t have a career past this upcoming season? I don’t get it. We aren’t talking about Ben of 2017. We are talking 2020 Ben that is aging rapidly and threw 10 interceptions in his last seven games, also unable to eclipse a passer rating of 90.
Maybe they can get the great Jim Miller to come back.

Pens aren’t going to win the Stanley Cup with Crosby and especially Malkin, who is reported to get an extension soon, so what’s the point?

He also threw 33 touchdowns

Old 02-24-2021, 02:34 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,121 times
Quote:
Maybe they can get the great Jim Miller to come back.

Pens aren’t going to win the Stanley Cup with Crosby and especially Malkin, who is reported to get an extension soon, so what’s the point?

He also threw 33 touchdowns
What is the benefit to bringing him back when they have no chance at a Super Bowl and he retires at the end of the season? Why even start him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh