Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 07:20 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,265,924 times

Advertisements

One thing about the cloudy days,it sure does make you appreciate the sunny days.IMHO, overall I don,t think the weather in the Pgh area is that bad.Obviously,it varies from year to year and this summer seems to be more rainy than normal but I noticed the trees and grass are greener than ever and this should make for beautiful fall foliage.Take a drive,if you can afford it and look around and notice how green every thing is.Winters have been mild for the last 10 or 15 years and I really don't remember a heavy snow fall since the blizzard of 93.As far as traffic goes,I worked down town for 30 yrs and I don't miss the drive every morning,but compared to other cities it's not bad.I live 20 miles from town and the drive was only 30mins give or take 5.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:41 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
all smug comments aside for once; It was awesome last night. Nice white puffy clouds, blue sky, low humidity, mid-70s. It felt like late September going into October. I wish everyday was like that.
It was an absolutely gorgeous evening.

And it also rained earlier in the day, I might note. So it will go into the record books as a day on which it rained, but I am not sure the weather service keeps track of absolutely gorgeous evenings.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:20 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,783,758 times
Oh my gawd, it's sunny and cloudy at the same time!!! Those puffy little clouds look so cool with the sun gleaming on them, I don't know what to do

Old 07-24-2008, 03:23 PM

29,627 posts, read 34,112,869 times
Today was a beautiful day. Sunny and low humidity. I'm kicking myself for not taking the day off a la Ferris Beuller. How can I be expected to handle work on a day like today?

Old 07-24-2008, 04:48 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,133,707 times
Quote:
I feel so dumb that I forgot L.A. and San Diego have Mediterranean climates
Its not just these cities. Perhaps you should get out a bit more.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:35 PM

For those who might be interested, here is a map of where Mediterranean climates are located:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...74/Medclim.png

Old 07-24-2008, 11:42 PM

314 posts, read 846,311 times
Mna I have to say, anything ya'll can throw at me the rest of the year is worth this gorgeous weather. Last night was so yummy cool and breezy. It was like late fall in La and today... Shazam, I sure like summers that you can actually go outside and do stuff in. It really hasn't been rainy at all either. Just enough to cool it down when it starts to get warm

Old 07-25-2008, 02:07 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,133,707 times
Quote:
here is a map of where Mediterranean climates are located
I was not trying to imply that a lot of cities have Mediterranean climates, but rather that many have summer weather that is much different than Pittsburgh. In particular, rain, thunderstorms and humidity. In general summers in the northwest are dry, even Seattle only gets 1" of rain in the summer months. So, to suggest that there are just a few old ball cities that don't get Pittsburgh style summer weather is very inaccurate.

Of course, the areas around Pittsburgh do get similar weather which is why I suggested the poster hasn't spent much time out of Pittsburgh's general region.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:59 AM

On the subject of thunderstorms, here is a brief rundown on the range of places they occur in the United States:

"Some of the most powerful and dangerous thunderstorms occur over the United States, particularly in the Midwest and the southern states. These storms can produce large hail and powerful tornadoes. Thunderstorms are relatively uncommon along much of the West Coast of the United States, but they occur with greater frequency in the inland areas, particularly the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valleys of California. Furthermore, in spring and summer, they occur nearly daily in certain areas of the Rocky Mountains. In the Northeast, storms take on similar characteristics and patterns as the Midwest, only less frequently and severely. Probably the most thunderous region outside of the Tropics is Florida. During the summer, violent thunderstorms are an almost daily occurrence over central and southern parts of the state."

Thunderstorm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-25-2008, 01:30 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,783,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxd_13 View Post
Mna I have to say, anything ya'll can throw at me the rest of the year is worth this gorgeous weather. Last night was so yummy cool and breezy. It was like late fall in La and today... Shazam, I sure like summers that you can actually go outside and do stuff in. It really hasn't been rainy at all either. Just enough to cool it down when it starts to get warm
Just wait until Fall, you'll love it here. Winter though....well, that's another story. It isn't too bad in and immediately around the city, however I live just enough north that I get the lake effect stuff, which sucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh